Tires for Stock Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 12:32 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tires for Stock Wheels

I am new to the Acurazine and I hope to gain a lot of information from my fellow acura tl owners.

I have been doing some research on tires for my OEM wheels and came across this one - Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology (235/45/17). Reviews on Tirerack is great but no TL owner reviews on there. I would like to know if any owners have these on their OEM wheels and how are these tires working out for you?

Current tires on my car are Conti Extreme DWS. These have been great but looking for other options.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:35 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Whats the difference between the reviewers reviews and our reviews?????
nothing.

Originally Posted by tirerack.com
The PureContact with EcoPlus Technology is Continental's Grand Touring All-Season tire developed for the drivers of luxury performance sedans, sporty coupes and crossover vehicles. PureContact tires are designed to balance long wear, a comfortable ride and low rolling resistance with wet grip and all-season traction, even in light snow.
Featuring a silica-enhanced, all-season tread compound, the PureContact with EcoPlus Technology incorporates Continental's Tg-F Polymers and +Silane additives to improve treadwear, fuel efficiency and traction on slippery roads. The compound is molded into a computer-optimized asymmetric tread design that reduces pattern noise while chamfered tread block edges enhance dry-road handling. Independent tread blocks are siped to provide additional biting edges while Continental’s Traction Grooves (vertical ridges in the circumferential grooves) promote three-dimensional snow-to-snow traction.
PureContact with EcoPlus Technology’s tread pattern features Tuned Performance Indicators — visible letters molded into the outboard shoulder to alert drivers of the tire's potential performance in various weather conditions. A visible "DWS" indicates the tire has sufficient tread depth for dry conditions, as well as wet roads and light snow. After the "S" has worn away, the remaining "DW" indicates the tire only has sufficient tread depth for dry and most wet road conditions. And after the "W" and "S" have both worn away, the remaining "D" indicates the tire has appropriate tread depth for dry conditions only.
The tire's internal structure features twin steel belts reinforced with spirally wound jointless polyamide to blend high-speed durability with ride uniformity. Continental's ComfortRide Technology includes a cushioning layer of rubber to absorb vibrations caused by road surface irregularities. PureContact tires also feature weight-optimized construction to reduce weight and rolling resistance.
*Specific sizes featuring EcoPlus Technology are identified as such on the Sizes tab, as well as on the tire's SPEC tab.

seems like a great all season tire.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:44 PM
7th Gear

Thanks Justnspace! You're right it does seem like a great tire, but I was trying to see if any owners have had it on their car and what they think of it.
The following users liked this post:
robocam (03-17-2014)
Old 06-27-2013, 12:46 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^again, whats the difference?
if it performs great on one car, why would it perform different for the TL?

most "reviewers" are just common people like you and I. we get our terminology wrong, we are biased, and recommend things that are not necessarily true.

Did you like your DWS?
if so, can you tell me what aspects you liked?how about things you didnt like?
why did you choose the DWS?
what are you looking for in a tire?

you're already looking at these pure contacts.
What would some one say that would make you sway to a different tire?

if your current tires are "Great" why would you want to look for another tire?

Tires are an expensive purchase. I get that.

Last edited by justnspace; 06-27-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:26 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for your input but I think the reason we come on sites like this is to get information from one another. One's personal experience makes a difference for instance if 10 says its bad, than it does sway others to look else where.

DWS were great tires in comfort and quietness but cornering and handling weren't as great.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
You do realize that in 235/45-17 the tires are H rated.
Many will purchase a tire with this speed rating as it will be on the softer side and give a comfy ride, but probably not great from a performance standpoint.

Look at the 245/45-17 size.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
The Extreme DWS will corner and handle better than the grand touring tire your looking at replacing them with. You are one of the few people that do not like that tires handling.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I have always been told these tires wear funny, I had them on my TL when I bought it and they were all cupped. That being said if you rotate you tires like you should and get regular alignments they should wear evenly.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:21 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Turbonut
You do realize that in 235/45-17 the tires are Hrated.
Originally Posted by Turbonut

Many will purchase a tire with this speed rating as it will be on the softerside and give a comfy ride, but probably not great from a performancestandpoint.

Look at the 245/45-17 size.
Thank you, I never thought of that. The 245/45-17 will be wider/bulkier? Does this mean better handling/cornering compared to 235/45?

Originally Posted by pohljm
The Extreme DWS will corner andhandle better than the grand touring tire your looking at replacing them with.You are one of the few people that do not like that tires handling.

Pohljm, I believe you are right on. I'm comparing apples to oranges here... a performance tire to a grand touring. DWSwill give better handling since its performance and is a higher rated tire. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Comptechtl2367
I have always been told thesetires wear funny, I had them on my TL when I bought it and they were allcupped. That being said if you rotate you tires like you should and get regularalignments they should wear evenly.

Thank you for your input. The DWS I have does wear out funny looking too but then I should havedone a better job of rotating them. Tirerotation wasn't done as it should have.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
by upsizing the tire he is trying to get you into a higher speed rated tire which will have a stiffer sidewall hence better turn in and handling.