Old 12-08-2008, 01:15 AM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
BTW, http://tires.costco.com/TSSapp/TireI...ml?pn=November

Old 12-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by BGLEX81
Just got Toyo Proxes 4 (245/45/17), and they are great...payed $122 per tire at Town Fair Tire here in Mass..they matched the price from onlinetires.com ($109) but they had to add the shipping but I did save a good amount of money!!
I love my Proxes 4's!! Of course, the tire is a little long in the tooth as it's been out for years. Toyo just came out with something new (I forget the name), but it should be very good...builds on the T1R/T1S's, I believe.

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
I don't know if there's a Discount Tire in your area, but they have the "old" Pilot A/S's for $134 apiece and they're about to have a $50 off coupon (if you buy 4 tires, I think). I may end up going with those. Just an FYI.
Discount Tire is great! They price match Tire Rack and other online vendors, and do a great job with installs/work (at least the one I go to). I've always left impressed.

As for Tire Kingdom, I went there once for a simple plug/patch and they couldn't have been bigger dicks. Way to earn business.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:53 AM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Well I bought the tires online for $134/tire + $50 coupon from Discount Tire on Monday and scheduled an installation for Thursday (today). I went in to my local Discount Tire yesterday to see if my tires would be shipped in time to be put on today. They said "well, looks like we already have them". They said they could put them on for me within 45 minutes. I told them that for some reason the price didn't reflect the $50 coupon online. The guy said, "well let's see...", looked it up, and said "not sure why it didn't take off the $50 when you purchased it online, but I'll take care of that for you right now..." I ended up paying about $596 (including tax) for the set (and that includes lifetime repairs, balancing, and rotations). I don't think I've ever had a bad experience at Discount Tire and they've never given me crap about anything - they've always just done the right thing.

So I've put about 1 mile on my new Pilot Sport AS tires. It was the greatest mile ever!!!! lol. JK. I can't wait to take it on a longer drive and hit some rain to see how it compares to my previous set of Potenza RE 960's. These may very well be the last set of tires I have on this car (111,000 miles) or next-to-last set maybe...

Last edited by Rocketsfan; 12-11-2008 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:58 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's what I've ran in the past all in 245/35/19. Current set up is Volk Progressive ME's staggered fitment lowered on Tein SS.

Nitto 555 - dry traction good, noisy from what I remembered, wet traction left more to be desired, wore evenly.
Went though 2 sets.

Federal Super Steels - great tire for cornering; sidewalls probably the strongest I've ever encountered with a tire. The drift guys swear by these and now I know why. However due to the stiffer sidewalls, ride can be extremely firm if my Tein SS is dialed up. Good tire but looking for something a little less firm and better wet handling. Wet handling was better than the Nitto's. On my 2nd set.

Currently had to install a Nitto Neo Gen for an emergency install on the driver's side. My front strut had a leak and the inner shoulder of the Federal was completely eaten up. The Neo Gen definitely has an improvement in road noise (less road noise) in the driver's side cabin.

Prior to the emergency install, I was closely looking at the new Eagle GT's and/or the Eagle F1 All Seasons as I did not want to spend more than $200-$230 per tire.

My first choice was the Eagle GT. I liked the price point and seemed to be getting decent reviews. I also liked the reviews the F1 AS's were getting but didn't know about the road noise issues after 20k+ miles.

Now that I have the Nitto Neo Gen on, I'm starting to really consider putting a full set on the car. Main reasons:

1. Cost cutting - with the asymmetrical design, I can at least rotate the 2 front tires and the 2 rears separately which should put more mileage on the tires. If you don't have a staggered fitment, you'll be able to rotate all 4 with each other.

2. Upgraded inner shoulder to help combat the effects of negative camber for lowered cars or so they market it that way

3. Price isn't that bad either.....around $180/tire

Originally Posted by aceman4
I'm in the same boat right now. I've also researched the "Which Tire is Best" or "Help Me Pick a Tire" threads and reviews on tirerack and discounttire and I'm still undecided on what to buy. My new Ron Jon legends will be here tomorrow and I still haven't bought my tires.

I bought a set of Goodyear F1 AS for my '06 when they rated 4th on tirerack. I only put 7K miles on them before I sold the '06 and I loved them. I was ready to buy another set for my new 18's and noticed they slipped in the tirerack ratings because of noise problems once you hit 20-25K....I HATE tire noise!!!

My new shortlist

Eagle GT-new tire and shying away because of noise problems with the F1's
General UHP-Good reviews and a great price
Nitto Neogen-Treadwear of only 280, but folks like the tire.
Falken 452-Not sure on this one yet. I had a set of 912's a few years ago and they were noisey.

Last edited by special-ed; 12-15-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Correct .... we're "negotiating".

No wheels purchased. Just better tires (finally) - Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus. 245/45-17. It's already a done deal.

And you're right about "trying to narrow it down".

That was kind of the point of the original post. You read, read, read. Behind the keyboard, it's easy to say, "Get tire x, they're great, you'll love 'em", but when you've got to put your own money onthe table .... well, it's not so easy to just pick tire x.

I wonder if the (+) is better then the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. I have 235/45/17" Michelin Pilot sport A/S on now and with my 06 TL manual I can spin them like theres no tomorrow. Maybe the cold weather has alot to do with it???
Old 01-31-2009, 07:20 AM
too many tools in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread has covered a lot of ground since the OP's post. As to JD's question above, it's probably one of those "we'll never know" things.

I noted on tirerack.com that the "Plus" version of the Pilot Sport A/S can be mixed with the original as long as the Plus version is on the rear axle. Translation: They have slightly more traction that the originals under most circumstances. Tire manufacturers are paranoid about oversteer, so they like traction on the rear axle.

At significant sacrafice of $$$, I went with the new "Plus" version when I put on my 18" (gun metal A-Spec) wheels a week ago today. Conclusion: too new to rate, of course. But initial impression is way better dry traction, wet traction, and ride than the the 17" OEM rubber. Turn in is way better. Feels like a steering system upgrade.

All this on my 2007 tl type S with A-Spec suspension.

Life is good. Time to blast up Mount Palomar and get my money's worth! South grade road, here I come....

The Bro
Old 01-31-2009, 06:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,414 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Yeah, the $109 Tire Rack price has been there for a while, I think (a couple of days anyway). I thought about getting it from them, but then I don't want the hassle of waiting until after Christmas to get them (that's when they'll apparently ship for me), then finding the place I can get them mounted and balanced as well.

I may just pay the $134 at Discount Tire - I'm not sure the coupon I saw is working. Bummer, they could've been about $122/tire.

Decisions, decisions....
print out the price from tirerack and show it to discount tire, they should be able to match the price.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:00 AM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey BearCat, any update on your tire experience?
Old 02-27-2009, 11:12 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Excellent so far.

Low noise, very good grip wet and dry.

Not too many miles yet, I guess around 2,000 or so.

Gonna track 'em in a couple of weeks - that should be interesting.

Compared to stock MXM4 there is no downside.