tire problem - anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 06:10 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Angry tire problem - anyone else?

Just got back from my 22,500 mile service for my '02 TL-S, and had asked them to look into the cause of a mild to moderate shimmy. Their reply was that all four of my tires were out of round, meaning that they have worn unevenly across their circumference and are now oval shaped! They had no explanation as to what may have caused this, but did not believe that the car could be at fault. Given that it has happened to all four tires, I'm suspecting a manufacturing defect (I'll bet that the tires are from the same production lot). Has anyone else experienced this?? I imagine that I might have a fight on my hands with Michelin...

-djsteve
Old 09-16-2003, 06:16 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wait..do you mean across the width or diameter?
if its width
well it probably isnt alignment since its all 4 tires...im guessing they've been either over or under inflated...
Old 09-16-2003, 06:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do not double post....read the rules...i deleted the other topic and moved this one to the tire forum since it had a reply.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:07 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by njtls
wait..do you mean across the width or diameter?
if its width
well it probably isnt alignment since its all 4 tires...im guessing they've been either over or under inflated...
Nope, not across the width - around the tire's circumference. As the tires are rotated on the balancing machine and while watching the top of the spinning tire, you can see it rise and fall. I've found a couple of mentions on the 'net as to causes, the two most common being driving on severely mis-balanced tires, and the other being manufacturing defects. Since my tires have had their balance checked at the recommended intervals (and they have always been close) then that possibllity is discounted. Weird.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:17 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by ArN 2000 TL
do not double post....read the rules...i deleted the other topic and moved this one to the tire forum since it had a reply.
My posted question pertains both to tires in general (this topic) and to 2nd Gen TL's specifically (the other topic in which it was posted), as it may be either caused by tire or specific model year defects. Readers of one topic may never visit the other. This is the first time I've ever been in the tire forum, for instance, though I often read the Gen2 forum.

I understand the spirit of the rule, but I don't think my posting was excessive nor does it warrant the abrasiveness of your reply.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:20 PM
Advanced

i had to replace 5 michelin tires on my 02 tl-s for bubbles. i will not get another michelin ever. i am going to sears and they cover your tire if ANYTHING happens. i asked. michelin is overrated, suck in snow and rain.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:43 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by steve29
i had to replace 5 michelin tires on my 02 tl-s for bubbles. i will not get another michelin ever. i am going to sears and they cover your tire if ANYTHING happens. i asked. michelin is overrated, suck in snow and rain.
When you say bubbles, do you mean bulges in the sidewalls? I have one tire with a slight sidewall bulge. I took it to a Michelin dealer for warranty replacement and they claimed that it had to be a tire pinch from hitting a pothole, which I suppose could be the case but there is absolutely indication of a hit to the rim at all. Now that all four tires are exhibiting "out of round" wear, I'm wondering if the bulge was an early indication of a problem.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:55 PM
Advanced

yep. bulges in the sidewall of the tire. dont believe that pothole ****. it is a defect just like acura's rotors, and tranny. i had to replace 5 of them. michelin wont do nothin. i will be going to sears for the same size tire for a hell of a lot cheaper from now on. and sears back up their product even if u get bulges.