Tire Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Issue

On my way to work this morning, I hit a pothole approaching the toll booths on I95. Wasn't that big of a hole, the hit wasn't hard at all and I was going well under 30 mph. About 20 mins later as I was getting off the highway, the car began pulling to the right, I got out and of course the tire was flat, luckily I was right next to a gas station and filled the tire right away. Of course there was a nice little bubble, and the tire split open right where the tread meets the sidewall.

My question is, given the fact that my car is only 2 months old, is there any way I might be able to get the dealer to replace the tire? I really don't feel like shelling out $200 for another POS el42.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nautica91
On my way to work this morning, I hit a pothole approaching the toll booths on I95. Wasn't that big of a hole, the hit wasn't hard at all and I was going well under 30 mph. About 20 mins later as I was getting off the highway, the car began pulling to the right, I got out and of course the tire was flat, luckily I was right next to a gas station and filled the tire right away. Of course there was a nice little bubble, and the tire split open right where the tread meets the sidewall.

My question is, given the fact that my car is only 2 months old, is there any way I might be able to get the dealer to replace the tire? I really don't feel like shelling out $200 for another POS el42.
My guess is no. If any thing you can try to go to the state but its not worth it. The dealer is going to say that it is insurance related because you hit a pot hole. It was not a defect and it was your fault. you can try but I think you SOL and your gonna have to shell out the dough.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:32 AM
Racer

there is no road hazard warranty on OE tires (from any manufacturer i know of). Costco includes a road hazard warranty on tires purchased from them. perhaps you should consider a set of 2 different tires (michelin?) now, and then add 2 later?

i would not buy another Turanza.

keep in mind you may have tagged/bent the rim, and you'll need to test drive (when the replacement is squared away) for possible alignment issues.

looks like:
tires 2x$200. = $400.
oe rim (used on ebay or take-off from dealer)
$150.
alignment $100.

put some more air in them , and stay away from potholes...
Old 10-13-2005, 10:56 AM
Instructor

Check with the city where you had the tire damage due to pothole. In some instances city will compensate for replacement. Some cities do that, some don’t. I know of one city in IL that has policy that if you come with that complain and it has been yet another complain before, they reimburse you for replacement. It might be hard to get something from NYC though. Also, I am not sure about that policy on highways.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:43 AM
Instructor

called the new york state thruway authority, and they gave me the runaround as expected. They are however sending me a claim form, which I expect will be denied, but it's worth a shot.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good all-season tire for a replacement?
I guess I'll replace the 2 front tires, after hearing all the negative stories about the turanza, I'm not sure I want them on my car for the coming winter.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Intermediate

tire damage

My car was only 1 month old when it happened to me. I called my dealer and bugged them really bad. They replaced the tire for me. I also tried to get them to replace all tires with different ones. They were going to give me the EL42's.
So i called michelin and bugged them about the issue. They were willing to pay 1/2 of the new tires in which they did. I got the Pilot Sport A/S and they are great. I ve hit a couple of potholes and nothing!

Hope this helps you out!
Old 10-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Instructor

I have Bridgestone Turanza LSV on mine and love them.
Check tirerack.com for test results, suggestions and ratings.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sdiesel619
My car was only 1 month old when it happened to me. I called my dealer and bugged them really bad. They replaced the tire for me. I also tried to get them to replace all tires with different ones. They were going to give me the EL42's.
So i called michelin and bugged them about the issue. They were willing to pay 1/2 of the new tires in which they did. I got the Pilot Sport A/S and they are great. I ve hit a couple of potholes and nothing!

Hope this helps you out!

You called Michelin? Why would michelin get involved when you're having a problem with the Bridgestone Turanza?
Old 10-14-2005, 02:54 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nautica91
You called Michelin? Why would michelin get involved when you're having a problem with the Bridgestone Turanza?
Sounds like a 2005 TL w/Nav....

--Dealer probably wanted to swap his Michelin's with EL-42's... Now theres a good deal.....
Old 10-14-2005, 09:22 AM
Ganz

Tires I have become fond of are Pirelli PZero Nero M&S and the Bridgestone Potentz RE950. Obviously, I am an all season radial fan.
but, do as other have suggested and go to tirerack.com and do the research, read the surveys, and pick what you like.
Good luck.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:20 PM
Racer

Try eBay for a used tire. Last time I looked, there were several offerings of EL-42's in our size and the price was much better than new.