Tire info for those in the market..

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 05:35 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great thread. Thanks. I just had a failure on my 05 automatic stock tire at less than three years and 27K miles. No puncture just a huge sidewall rent.
It looks like I may have to replace the whole lot of em. Has anyone else had problems with premature failure? It sounds like the Goodyears are a good coice for my city driving in D.C.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:29 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Audioholic
Great thread. Thanks. I just had a failure on my 05 automatic stock tire at less than three years and 27K miles. No puncture just a huge sidewall rent.
It looks like I may have to replace the whole lot of em. Has anyone else had problems with premature failure? It sounds like the Goodyears are a good coice for my city driving in D.C.
If you're looking for an all season replacement, the Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S's are a top choice. So far, with the crappy Winter weather we've had, they continue to prove themselves very nicely.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Instructor

I had my OEM tires replaced on our 07 TL-S last Friday. The Michelin PA2s 245/45/17 are quieter and smoother than the OEM tires. It has been wet here and these tires sure track well. Still has some release agent to get rid of but another few days should tell. These are winter tires - summer tires will be PS2s 255/40/17 on OEM rims that I bought when I bought the car. Discount Tires price matched Tire Rack.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Advanced

I just ordered 4 Goodyear F1 A/S tires from TireRack to be delivered to my local NTB (Montgomeryville, PA) for mounting.
They're coming out of Newark, Delaware and I expect them tomorrow. Not many places in the area had them in stock and the tirerack price was very reasonable.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Advanced

I had my new Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S installed today. I also had an alignment done.

First impressions: smooth ride, not noisy, but haven't really tested yet. Good feel for the road.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:43 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@DMZ - how many miles do you have on your F1 A/S tires? That's a good question for anyone with this tire... does it wear well (get noisy)? Tread rating is 420 but just wondering... thanks!
Old 12-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Racer

Ack... can't edit my post! I just found the DMZ's original thread about these tires where he posted back in Sep so he can't have *that* many miles on them. Oh well, I'm still interested to hear how many and how they are holding up (this is true for anyone out there, not just DMZ)!
Old 12-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Here is my Tirerack review:

This is an upgrade from OEM tires which were the Pilot HX MXM4 in size which were Grand Touring A/S. I had to barely touch the throttle at acceleration from a dead stop in wet conditions to prevent any type of wheel spin. Going around corners was scary too. These were replaced at 30-40% tread for the F1 A/S.
Dry traction/handling is superb. Feels like a summer high performance tire basically with A/S tread design.
Wet traction is simply amazing as well. They glue the car to the road. Wheel spin no longer happens unless I’m trying to screw around and mash it. Cornering is also superb when it’s raining.
Snow traction is great for an A/S and is obvious from the tread design. I encountered a snow storm in Spokane yesterday and the snow traction was great. I got stuck going up a 15-20% grade after I lost momentum – it was compact snow turned to ice. Had to roll down the hill and re-climb the hill with more speed. They did very well for an A/S but a winter tire is simply the answer if this is a daily routine for you.
Bought these tires with my new tire/wheel combo in size 245/40/18 mounted/balanced from Tirerack. I encountered major vibrations right away. Tirerack told me to have them rebalanced again. Three had 27lb, 32lb, and 42lb Roadforce. They were able to bring the first 2 down to 15lb or less. The 42b one was defective. Tirerack replaced a replacement and picked up the old one. The best the shop could get the replacement tire was down to 26lbs(still high). Rim was measured to be perfect. I still have a slight(barely noticeable) steering wheel vibration on the smoothest of highways. There’s another individual on here that has the same issue with all 4 tires on this BMW 335i. After faxing in the bill for the rebalance and remount of the new tire to Tirerack, I’ve still NOT received any reimbursement.
I like these tires but will probably looks towards others when they’re due for replacement unless these imbalance issues are resolved at Good Year.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:38 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
All these quality issues with the F1 tires...Glad I have my 960 Pole positions...
Old 12-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by leedogg
All these quality issues with the F1 tires...Glad I have my 960 Pole positions...
Couldn't agree with you more. Just replaced my OEM tires with the Bridgestone 960 Pole Positions. I was deciding between the Pole Positions and the Goodyear Eagle A/S and after researching the two I went with the Pole Positions. The Pole Positions are a spectactular tire and really turns the TL into the true performance car it's meant to be. Just my
Old 12-24-2007, 07:04 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by leedogg
What quality issues? The only few complaining here are those who have unrecommended sizes on 18"+ wheels and who bought their tires mail order/internet rather than from the tire dealer that installed them.

I now have almost 6000 miles on my Eagle F1 A/S's, through a snow experience, and am as happy as ever with them.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DMZ
What quality issues? The only few complaining here are those who have unrecommended sizes on 18"+ wheels and who bought their tires mail order/internet rather than from the tire dealer that installed them.

I now have almost 6000 miles on my Eagle F1 A/S's, through a snow experience, and am as happy as ever with them.
I hope I'll be as happy with my purchase as you are with your purchase... I just ordered a set of these from my local dealer (fingers-crossed)
Old 12-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Masshole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just ordered a set of the Eagle F1 A/S through my dealer also and will get them next week. I hope my experience is also good. The stock Mich. with 24K miles on them are becoming terrible in the snow for me. When the car was new, they were ok, but now I've been having some serious traction issues in wet and snow.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Handruin
I just ordered a set of the Eagle F1 A/S through my dealer also and will get them next week. I hope my experience is also good. The stock Mich. with 24K miles on them are becoming terrible in the snow for me. When the car was new, they were ok, but now I've been having some serious traction issues in wet and snow.
The OEM Michelin Pilots or Bridgestone Turanzas that come stock on the TL are both very mediocre, average tires. Shame on Acura for ruining a performance car with those sub-par tires. Obviously they did it to keep the sticker price down but unfortunately they really hold back the true driving potential of the TL. Do yourself a favor and dump those crappy OEM tires for some better high performance tires, it's well worth it.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:45 AM
8th Gear

So I replaced my stock Turanzas with GY Eagle F1/AS one week ago and immediately drove 250 miles to Manhattan and then back a few days later. I didn't experience any weahter except driving home from the tire dealer when I spun slightly pulling out of the lot in a deep puddle. My mileage was 31 MPG on east coast highways generally at 70 mph or so.
My first impressions are that they are slightly noisier and create a stiffer feel than the Bridgestones. I was due to check the air in the Turanzas just before one failed so perhaps they were a little soft making the Goodyears seem more the opposite by comparison. I didn't get to do much in the way of handling evaluation as the Jersey Turnpike is not known for its curves.

So far so good. I hope I get a lot more life out of these than I did the Turanzas
Old 01-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Masshole

I got my goodyear Eagle F1/AS today (along with an alignment). I'll give you my observations thus far (roughly 60 miles of use) in comparison to the stock TL-S Michelin's.

Ride:
First impression is great. These tires should have came with the car right off the lot. The tire's sidewalls are very firm and feel great when I zigzag the car on dry pavement. I didn't get the sense that the car was dancing around or that there was any slushy feel to them. The car was firm and tracked immediately when I turned the wheel sharp in each direction. The suspension also feels better to me with these tires. I don't know if it's because there is more meet/tread on them when compared to my Michelin's (which had 25K miles). However, bumps no longer feel as "chatty" or "twangy" to me, it's really hard to describe. Now it feels firmer and less "cheap". When I hit bumps it's more of a deeper thud than a smack noise.

Noise:
The road noise seems fine to me. It's about the same if not better than the Michelin's. I feel like it is a deeper sound or more muffled when driving over rougher roads in comparison to the Michelin's. I have no complaints about noise with these tires.

Traction (cold/dry):
Right now the temperature outside is between 0 - 10 degrees F, so that's all I've had to try them in right now. Once they have a few miles on them I've already noticed a huge improvement in dry pavement traction. A standing start and full acceleration through third gear makes me feel torque like I never knew this car had. With the Michelin's I'd spin the tires mostly in first and a bit in second...now it seems to pull very well no matter what. That doesn't mean the F1's won't spin if I push hard enough, but I do feel like they grip a lot better. I can't wait to see what they feel like in warmer weather.

Snow/wet:
Nothing yet, I haven't had them long enough, but I'll give my thoughts once I get to drive in these conditions.

Other:
As someone else noted, the rolling resistance seems higher on these tires. I felt like it takes a little more peddle to make the car drive in normal conditions and it won't roll as easily as it did before. This might also be a side effect of the heavier tires when compared to the Michelin's. I don't have any gas mileage results to note if it is any better or worse.

Also, the tires have zero, zip, none, nothing in the way of vibrations or problems. I got the tires installed by my normal Acura dealer and even at speeds of 80 MPH, there is no vibration, none. They feel rock solid at all the speeds I've driven so far. If there was any hint of vibration, I'd be complaining right here because it drives me nuts.

With my current limited experience, I would recommend these tires as a great alternative to the stock Michelin's. I'll make a note once I get a chance to run them in rain and snow, but for dry and cold, I think they are great (and they look very aggressive to me).
Old 01-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
I odered the GY F1 A/S tires yesterday from Tirerack.com. I bought them after researching here and various websites. It was a coin toss between the 960's and the F1's. Unfortunately I had to go the tirerack route since nobody around here carries the F1's. My only concern is the lack of a treadlife warranty. Should I upgrade to the road hazard warranty for $71? I have 14 days to decide. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:42 AM
Racer

@blueracer - I'm the first person to point my finger and call someone a moron for buying an extended warranty, but in the case of tires that cost ~$200 each, I alway get it. It has paid for itself several times (roofing nails near the sidewalls that couldn't get patched as well as when my wife hit the curb and f*cked-up the tire wheel on her car).

I dunno what the tirerack's road hazard covers; we are a Discount Tire family and their coverage is pretty much everything and it is a 100 % replacement, not pro-rated based on the mileage. Read the fine print and make up your mind.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Love that TL!

New Goodyear Eagle F1 owner

Just got a set today, put on 100 miles of LA freeway driving on dry roads

1. Soft ride compared to my old tires ( cant remember what they were)
2. Real sticky, cant break them loose
3. Cleared up the "pull to the left" problem
4. Very responsive to the wheel
5. Acceptable road noise

Will post after 10K to update

Steve
Old 01-08-2008, 01:11 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Liquidorca10
The OEM Michelin Pilots or Bridgestone Turanzas that come stock on the TL are both very mediocre, average tires. Shame on Acura for ruining a performance car with those sub-par tires. Obviously they did it to keep the sticker price down but unfortunately they really hold back the true driving potential of the TL. Do yourself a favor and dump those crappy OEM tires for some better high performance tires, it's well worth it.
No doubt the Michelin's are rolling compromise and a poor compromised at that.

BUT, price-wise the Michilen's are ~$100 more per tire than the GY F1 AS ($255 v $149 at tirerack.com in 235/45/17).

As a matter of fact, if you search all W & Y rated tires in the stock size for Ultra High Perf AS and Grand Touring AS, the MXM4 is the most expensive tire in the bunch.

So, it's hard for me to see how Acura could use the Michelin's to "keep the sticker price down".

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...S&startIndex=0
Old 01-08-2008, 05:26 AM
Burning Brakes

It's amazing a company like Michelin can have such poor marketing. Almost as bad as Acura putting POS tires on a $30K+ high performance machine. I have been, and continue to be, a fan of the Michelin Pilot A/S. I've owned 2 sets of 235/45/17, and one set of 245/40/17's. Wear, noise, traction, rolling resistance...it's all good. They do cost a FEW dollars more.
I had the Pilot MXM4's replaced with Pilot A/S's before even taking delivery on my '07 TL-S, and I couldn't GIVE the MXM4's away! They are unbelievably high priced for, as Bearcat said, a mediocre tire (and that's a stretch). The big problem Michelin has is that they both carry the "Pilot" brand name....and that's a huge mistake! It's got to be killing them sales wise.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by S PAW 1
The big problem Michelin has is that they both carry the "Pilot" brand name....and that's a huge mistake! It's got to be killing them sales wise.
Doesn't Goodyear have the same problem? Eagle F1 A/S is an awesome tire... But Eagle RS-A is a POS. Similar to your comparison of Pilot Sport A/S vs Pilot MXM4.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:46 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by avs007
Doesn't Goodyear have the same problem? Eagle F1 A/S is an awesome tire... But Eagle RS-A is a POS. Similar to your comparison of Pilot Sport A/S vs Pilot MXM4.
Just like comparing Bridgestone Pole Position 960's and their POS Turanzas.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by avs007
Excellent point! Guess I didn't know the RS-A was so crappy, cause until this F1 A/S came along, I've never seen Goodyears on an Acura. I always correlated the F1's with American muscle cars.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
No doubt the Michelin's are rolling compromise and a poor compromised at that.

BUT, price-wise the Michilen's are ~$100 more per tire than the GY F1 AS ($255 v $149 at tirerack.com in 235/45/17).

As a matter of fact, if you search all W & Y rated tires in the stock size for Ultra High Perf AS and Grand Touring AS, the MXM4 is the most expensive tire in the bunch.

So, it's hard for me to see how Acura could use the Michelin's to "keep the sticker price down".

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...S&startIndex=0
Selective shopping. I've also seen the Bridgestone Turanza POS tires costing more than the Eagle F1s & the Pole Positions. Some companies know that some people will always want the OEM tire their car came with and will pay out the nose for it.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:33 PM
10th Gear

OEM MxM4

How many KMs do the original MxM4 last?
Old 01-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
Just like comparing Bridgestone Pole Position 960's and their POS Turanzas.
Except those two tires don't share any common names.

Turanza EL42
Potenza RE960AS Pole Position.

The only other tires I can think of that share the Pole Position designation is the Potenza S-03 Pole Positions, and Potenza RE050A Pole Positions. But I know what you mean... I was almost scared to try the RE960AS because of all the bad reviews of the EL42.... Then there's the Firestone/Ford fiasco....

As far as the RS-A goes... They are a popular OEM tire for sporty cars... But they are horrid in almost every sporting characteristic...