Tire Brand Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 01:26 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tire Brand Recommendation

Hello everyone. So this is the first time I am replacing my 2007 TL-S automatic tires. I want to ask what brand has really good 4-season tires, but are not too expensive. I am looking at a list and I just do not know where to start. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:55 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by MetalGearTypeS
I want to ask what brand has really good 4-season tires, but are not too expensive. I am looking at a list and I just do not know where to start. Thanks.
Start by going to http://www.tirerack.com/content/tire.../homepage.html .
You can select "all season," sort by price and read the Tire Rack test and reviews.

Otherwise, go to the Costco website and enter your car info-- Costco will usually have several different choices that are good tires from good brands (Michelin, Bridgestone and sometimes BFGoodrich). The prices are lower than most, but not as low as Tire Rack, or some tire shops if you catch a sale.
The following 3 users liked this post by Will Y.:
DuoDSG (06-11-2015), MetalGearTypeS (06-09-2015), NBP04TL4ME (06-06-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 05:41 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,245 Likes on 1,031 Posts
OP - Will Y is right on in terms of spending some time on tirerack.com. Therenismtons of information to be had there and lots of survey results as well. Also keep in mind there are rebates to be had as well which will help with you overall costs - http://www.tirerack.com/specialoffers/specialoffers.jsp
Do you have any priorities or specific driving characteristics you are looking for? Long life?Road Handling? Noise? The Continental ExtremeContact DWS has been a good overall tire and is being replaced with the ExtremeContact DWS06.
The following users liked this post:
cacheflowe (06-10-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 09:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what is the best size of tire if I run 18x8.5 on front and 18x10 on rear?
Old 06-07-2015, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Acura93
what is the best size of tire if I run 18x8.5 on front and 18x10 on rear?
That is like asking "Do you drive to work or bring a lunch." I would advise you the same way and suggest you spend time on tirerack.com doing some research and looking over reviews of various tire manufacturers and more importantly models. No one can blanketly say this manufacturer makes the best tires. Yes there are some top tier manufacturers who have developed good reputations but they still make some model tires that have less than desirable results/satisfaction.
Regarding you staggered set up: my feeling is you need to go square and not go staggered. It simply doesn't make sense to me when the drive wheels are in the front and it will limit your tire life because you won't be able to rotate properly. That is unless you don't mind having the wider tires on the fron axle half the time.
The following 3 users liked this post by NBP04TL4ME:
Acura93 (06-07-2015), cacheflowe (06-10-2015), MetalGearTypeS (06-09-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 09:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
That is like asking "Do you drive to work or bring a lunch." I would advise you the same way and suggest you spend time on tirerack.com doing some research and looking over reviews of various tire manufacturers and more importantly models. No one can blanketly say this manufacturer makes the best tires. Yes there are some top tier manufacturers who have developed good reputations but they still make some model tires that have less than desirable results/satisfaction.
Regarding you staggered set up: my feeling is you need to go square and not go staggered. It simply doesn't make sense to me when the drive wheels are in the front and it will limit your tire life because you won't be able to rotate properly. That is unless you don't mind having the wider tires on the fron axle half the time.
I'm newbie, and I don't know anything about car, I love mod, but I'm still learning, that's why I was asking some stupid questions.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:18 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
I will answer the OP's question as I'm not sure my recommendation for tires is available for 18" wheels. I have Uniroyal GTZ tires on my TL and on my vacation 300ZX- love them as the ride and grip is very good, and for $93 per tire shipped to my installation garage (Goodyear), you can't beat them.
The following 2 users liked this post by erdoc48:
Acura93 (06-07-2015), MetalGearTypeS (06-09-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 06:34 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
spot on my friend. OP, keep in mind that not all "all-seasons" are built the same. some manufacturers/models fare better in snow as opposed to rain. the conti DWS have the highest praise thus far and are tire racks #1 rated tire (this was a few weeks ago.. not sure if it has changed).. I have them on my TL and loving it thus far. you might get a good deal on em if they are being phased out for the new model...
and remember.. you never want to skimp out on "cheap tires" or get the best deal... money well spent on tires will save your life in the long run..
Old 06-16-2015, 11:56 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Each manufacturer will have rebates some time during the year, so you timing also affects you tire buying decision, or at least affected mine. Costco has a $70 off a set of Michelins, so we went with those this time around after getting poor tread wear on the Continental DW. This time we're putting on Pilot Super Sports instead of the Primacy or A/S 3. These are the 3rd set of tires on the car, so I figured why not try something with more performance to provide better road handling and improved braking distance. The Continental DW were nice for the price, but the sidewalls were significantly softer and didn't feel good with the way the suspension is tuned for the stock Michelins. Michelin PSS have a relatively soft sidewall for a performance tire, so the ride is actually good and close to the Primacy.

Next month Costco will have the Bridgestone rebate.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:37 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
After going through a winter on the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3's, which are great 3 season tires, I'm looking into the new Continental Extreme Contact DWS06's that are replacing the existing Extreme Contact DWS's. Initial takes by Tire Rack show these to be a substantial improvement over the now obsolete DWS's including firmer sidewalls.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Acura93
I'm newbie, and I don't know anything about car, I love mod, but I'm still learning, that's why I was asking some stupid questions.
Being a newbie and still learning is perfectly fine and maybe you phrased your question wrong. Regardless of the product (tires, beer, fishing rods, furniture, etc...) there is never as I mentioned the best manufacturer.

Originally Posted by DMZ
After going through a winter on the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3's, which are great 3 season tires, I'm looking into the new Continental Extreme Contact DWS06's that are replacing the existing Extreme Contact DWS's. Initial takes by Tire Rack show these to be a substantial improvement over the now obsolete DWS's including firmer sidewalls.
Would be interested in you review when and if you get them.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:46 PM
Andrew

Received 532 Likes on 314 Posts
"Best" is always a subjective term, not an objective term, unless there is only one parameter. Tell us your goals and we can make a better recommendation.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:06 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 for Conti DWS. General Gmax AS03s was pretty good for me too if youre looking for the cheaper route
Old 06-18-2015, 10:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
Just recently wrote a blog about the DWS06. Nice improvement over the DWS.

Click here to check it out
Old 06-18-2015, 04:24 PM

Don't need tires right now, but would certainly consider them.