Tein, HT-Spec, Megan, H&R...What Coilovers Should You Get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts

Wondering what coilovers to get? This page is all you need to help you figure it out by ranking the kits in question in the most objective way we could! Heeltoe has been selling all the major brands for TSXs and TLs for the last 5 years and we know what customers are happiest with based on THEIR INDIVIDUAL NEEDS.

Here are the Cliff's Notes fot those that want the quick answers but DO NOT BUY until you read our comments below! Price is ranked as well, so a low ranked kit might be hindered only by cost (such as with the H&R kit):
Our rankings out of 5.00 possible. Higher scores mean you get the most for what you are paying:

Buddy Club N+ - 3.75 - Jack of all trades, master of none. Popular choice for slamming with a nice ride.
Tein Basics - 3.42 - You're buying quality over features.
Tein Super Street (SS) - 3.83 - The name says it best: Super coilovers for the street.
Tein FLEX - 4.17 - The name says it best: Flexible enough for the track or the turnpike.
Tein Comfort Sport (CST) - 3.42 - The name says it best (no secrets with Tein): The most comfortable kit you can get.
Megan Racing Street & EZ Street - 3.29 - The low price leader gives cheap thrills.
HT-Spec Type 1 - 3.83 - Who needs adjustment? These were tuned to be ideal for daily sport/luxury drivers.
HT-Spec Type 2 - 4.08 - The only kit grown out of a desire to be all things for the masses. Good ride, good handling, good price.
H&R Street Performance - 3.38 - German engineering for your Japanese car. The quality is in the GUTS, not listed on paper.
Neuspeed Super Cup Kit - 3.42 - European feel like the H&R, but is a lower cost shock/spring combo rather than a height adjustable threaded body coilover.

For full reviews, link here!
https://acurazine.com/forums/heeltoe-automotive-365/tein-ht-spec-megan-h-r-what-coilovers-should-you-get-801396/
Old 12-14-2010, 08:06 PM
3.5L...enough said

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
That sums it up pretty well.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is it a coincidence that your coilovers are rated the best?
Old 12-15-2010, 07:47 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you should also put the price..
what about function and form? they are the same price as the HT-spec type 1
Old 12-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Former Sponsor

It shouldn't be a coincidence we like the HT-Specs the best...we kinda made them to be the best compromise between lowering, ride, handling, and cost. No other kits spread out the facets of the suspension this well. They either ride and handle great and shun lowering range, or they lower really great but don't ride well, or ride great but cost too much and don't improve handling much.

We don't put prices because those change a lot over time. We are going to keep this thread updated as much as we can but pricing is a pita to keep up with. Check the site for pricing, and it is best to add to cart to get final pricing
Old 12-15-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
Can this thread become a Sticky so we don't have a "What Suspension Should I Buy?" thread created every other day?
Old 12-15-2010, 04:13 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
I'm actually surprised the Neuspeed Super Cup kit didn't rank higher. You have 0-3" of lowering (depending on which springs & perch mounts you choose), PLUS dampening adjustment at a sub $700 price. The next option in your list that is dampening adjustable is $300+. Seems like a no-brainer to me unless cost is not an option and/or you don't mind a stiff ride.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
Originally Posted by cltothetl32
can this thread become a sticky so we don't have a "what suspension should i buy?" thread created every other day?
+1
Old 12-15-2010, 05:39 PM
3rd Gear

I'm looking for a little help on setting up my suspension. I'm thinking about going with the HT-Spec type-2 with eibach ERS coil springs. I have a couple of quiestions. Would I need to get anything else with this setup? Should I replace my front and rear sway bars at the same time I do the coilover kit? At this time I have stock rims but plan to get larger rims soon. Also I do not plan on slamming the TL just lowing it a little bit. Any help would be much apprecited.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts
^ you dont need springs the HT Spec type 2 is all you need its a complete set just like the others... some you need top re use your old top hats or buy new ones but the HT Spec is complete like a few of the others as well
Old 12-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sandals
Is it a coincidence that your coilovers are rated the best?
lol, seems like a bias opinion.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ebelp
I'm actually surprised the Neuspeed Super Cup kit didn't rank higher. You have 0-3" of lowering (depending on which springs & perch mounts you choose), PLUS dampening adjustment at a sub $700 price. The next option in your list that is dampening adjustable is $300+. Seems like a no-brainer to me unless cost is not an option and/or you don't mind a stiff ride.
What you are failing to realize is that within the last couple weeks the SP3 spec Konis that used to be supplied with the Super Cup Kit are not available any more, and the kit ships with regular Koni sports which only offer 2 height settings front and rear, one of which is usable on the car. Just the same, the ride is pretty adjustable so we are not citing a stiff ride at all.

Read the notes in the thread we linked to...there is a lot more description and justification for the rankings there!

Originally Posted by bdk05TL
I'm looking for a little help on setting up my suspension. I'm thinking about going with the HT-Spec type-2 with eibach ERS coil springs. I have a couple of quiestions. Would I need to get anything else with this setup? Should I replace my front and rear sway bars at the same time I do the coilover kit? At this time I have stock rims but plan to get larger rims soon. Also I do not plan on slamming the TL just lowing it a little bit. Any help would be much apprecited.
No, the kit is complete as is, although a lot of people like adding a rear camber kit which is an option when buying the HT-Spec kit on our site. A lot of people also like changing out the rear sway bar as well (another checkout option), but not so much the front.

If you aren't looking to lower much the HT-Spec is a decent choice although there is a certain minimum lowering requirement. For a more moderate drop that you are not going to be too anal about where it sits, the Super Cup Kit or Tein SS are great alternatives. One you give up some adjustment, the other costs a bit more.

Originally Posted by supra98
lol, seems like a bias opinion.

Sure it does...but then you might not have linked to our other thread either. This post is kind of a fishing post to get you to link over to our vendor forum where there is a lot more stuff to read.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,967 Likes on 14,485 Posts
Classy as always...

Thank you for making this...I read the title and was thinking..."holy hell...another one!!"...Then I saw who started it. This thread will be a sticky...and it will get referenced many times when people inevitably start ANOTHER one of these.

Good job...
AND, yeah, who in their right mind is going to draw attention to a product, then bash their own...obviously it's somewhat biased but he rated it pretty honestly if you read the actual thread...and it shouldn't be a surprise that a suspension made by a forum member and sold by a forum member would be best suited for forum members.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:36 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
sticky definitely..

everything is very informative... but maybe without the rankings it would be better? that way people can make their own judgement on what would be best for them?
Old 12-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Classy as always...

Thank you for making this...I read the title and was thinking..."holy hell...another one!!"...Then I saw who started it. This thread will be a sticky...and it will get referenced many times when people inevitably start ANOTHER one of these.

Good job...
AND, yeah, who in their right mind is going to draw attention to a product, then bash their own...obviously it's somewhat biased but he rated it pretty honestly if you read the actual thread...and it shouldn't be a surprise that a suspension made by a forum member and sold by a forum member would be best suited for forum members.

thanks man, it means a lot to me

I am also planning to test each individial kit on my TSX to try and remove any bias I can. As long as one person is judging there are going to be subjective calls to make. If you are reading what I wrote in the linked thread and feel like I am coming up short at all or have something totally wrong, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! I am not just interested in selling HT-Specs. I want to sell what makes people happy and the only way to do that is with ACCURATE information.

Originally Posted by jwr0ng626
sticky definitely..

everything is very informative... but maybe without the rankings it would be better? that way people can make their own judgement on what would be best for them?
The rankings I think give a good at-a-glance view of things. Really I think it is working out ok having rankings.
Actually what I'd really like is for people to rate these kits on heeltoeauto.com! But getting people to do it is a pain (why? I dunno!) and when they do so many people just put all 5s for everything, and that isn't right!

Since people don't goto my site and rank things and write reviews I posted this up.

For full reviews, link here!
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801396
Old 12-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Drifting

^was that a hint? hahaha

It would be extremely helpful for everyone if people would post their personal reviews on ur site too.. would make deciding on one much easier
Old 12-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
wow great write up, loads of info for anyone in the market, i will deff consider that post before mine!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:07 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
What you are failing to realize is that within the last couple weeks the SP3 spec Konis that used to be supplied with the Super Cup Kit are not available any more, and the kit ships with regular Koni sports which only offer 2 height settings front and rear, one of which is usable on the car. Just the same, the ride is pretty adjustable so we are not citing a stiff ride at all.

Read the notes in the thread we linked to...there is a lot more description and justification for the rankings there!
What is the difference between the SP3 Konis and the newer Koni Sports? From what I understand, you still have 15mm of height adjustment up or down, depending on the perch setting you use. Also, any perch setting is usable, so I'm not quite sure what you mean by, "only one of which is usable on the car".
Old 12-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Former Sponsor

The SP3 had 5 levels of adjustment, the sports have 2 in the front and 3 in the rear:

8041-1322L&R SPORT – one lower groove 15mm from stock location
8041-1329 SPORT – one higher groove 20mm from stock location, one lower groove 15mm from stock location

On some cars you might be using the 15mm lower from stock location, unless you have a TSX in which case you need to use the higher setting in front and the bottom setting in the rear since the front drops 1/2" just by installing this kit with spring perch at the stock place.

Bottom line is, they are nowhere near as flexible in height adjustment as they used to be, and so you would not really want to buy these with the expectation that you could mess with the height unless you were getting a Koni sport/ground control combo.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:04 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

Thanks for the info. Just curious, how much did the lowest perch on the SP3 shocks lower the car (front & rear)?
Old 12-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Drifting

Juss get some coilovers lol
Old 12-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
Originally Posted by jwr0ng626
juss get some coilovers lol
+1
Old 12-18-2010, 09:50 AM
2014 Jeep SRT

For people with a budget under $700 and who need adjustable dampening, coilovers aren't an option.