Sway bar bushing - Need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 12:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sway bar bushing - Need help!!!

I have the Comptech rear sway bar install over a year ago. Today I finally decided to install the Summit greasable bushing because I've been hearing clunking noise coming from back there recently. While removing the bolts on the original bushing one of the bolts broke off at the head and now the bolt is stuck. I tried the bolt remover tool that drills into the original bolt so it could be removed. However, the bolt is on there so tight that the power drill is not moving the bolt at all. I pretty much just gave up.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I could do to remove the broken bolt? My last resort would be to use a drill bit bigger than the bolt to drill the bolt out of there. I will end up with a hole bigger than the original bolt, without any thread. I will then try to use a nut on the other end to tie down the new bolt. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:09 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chavez
I have the Comptech rear sway bar install over a year ago. Today I finally decided to install the Summit greasable bushing because I've been hearing clunking noise coming from back there recently. While removing the bolts on the original bushing one of the bolts broke off at the head and now the bolt is stuck. I tried the bolt remover tool that drills into the original bolt so it could be removed. However, the bolt is on there so tight that the power drill is not moving the bolt at all. I pretty much just gave up.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I could do to remove the broken bolt? My last resort would be to use a drill bit bigger than the bolt to drill the bolt out of there. I will end up with a hole bigger than the original bolt, without any thread. I will then try to use a nut on the other end to tie down the new bolt. Any help would be appreciated.
Chavez,

The bolt is probably rusted into the nut welded to the frame. If you reach up over the frame, you can feel the nut that the bolt threads into. Before you try removing it with the EZout again, put some penetrating oil (you can get it at a hardware store) designed to break up rust on it from the top so that it will work down into the bolt hole.

Put some on every day for about a week and then give it another try. Good luck!
Old 08-18-2006, 08:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it comes down to it, you may be able to drill into the bolt and eventually "collapse or break", you need to be careful not to strip the threads of the holes that the bolt goes into, otherwise you will be stuck doing a tap and die job on the hole to replace the threads.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:32 PM
Mofo

Originally Posted by sqzbox
Chavez,

The bolt is probably rusted into the nut welded to the frame. If you reach up over the frame, you can feel the nut that the bolt threads into. Before you try removing it with the EZout again, put some penetrating oil (you can get it at a hardware store) designed to break up rust on it from the top so that it will work down into the bolt hole.

Put some on every day for about a week and then give it another try. Good luck!

Penetrating oil is f-ing awesome...I used it to loosen up the bolt on my oil pan that my dealer tightened ridiculously tight...worked lk a charm
Old 08-19-2006, 02:53 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the tips. I will try it and report back later.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Craftsman makes a Bolt out used with a ratchet it comes in a small set for about 30$ oh yeah it sears so just keep your receipt and after you get the bolt out return it for a refund... omg im sooo chep im going to hell...
Old 08-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Racer

Vice Grips! i ran into the same problem when i forgot to apply WD-40 to the bolts before i started rotating. but yea, use vice grips to anchor the thread...and use a socket wrench to take it off, it works like a charm! good luck!
Old 08-27-2006, 04:32 PM
Intermediate

I tired the bolt out tool thing from Craftsman. It couldn't move the stuck bolt with the broken head at all. I sprayed WD40 and other penetrating oil and nothing worked. Yesterday I just ended up drilling the whole bolt out. Since the thread was gone I ended up putting a nut on top to tighten the bolt to hold down the bushing. It took almost one hour to get the nut on the other end of the new bolt because of the tight space, but I'm just happy that I was able to fix this problem.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Glad you got it fixed. I did my A-Spec install this weekend and didn't get the through bolt for out of the dampner fork so I currently have 3 of the 4 done. I replaced my front rotors last week and there were two screws holding them to the hub. I tried an impact driver from Sears, but they wouldn't budge so I wound up drilling them out. I found out after talking to the dealer that they are only on there to keep the rotors in place during manufacturing, so need for new ones. I am starting wonder why they don't put some kinda of grease on all the fastners - hell I'd pay extra for it.