Suspension. What coil over system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:05 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension. What coil over system?

Just wanted to see what the overall opinion is on what coil system to use. I know the Tien one is popular but is it worth it? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2008, 09:43 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

tein ss ftmfw, with edfc of course
Old 11-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TOPPDAWG
Just wanted to see what the overall opinion is on what coil system to use. I know the Tien one is popular but is it worth it? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
get the TEIN SS. They are expensive but you should get them for this expensive car. Shocks are great i got them a month ago
Old 11-04-2008, 06:53 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by ssmtl2nv
tein ss ftmfw, with edfc of course
WOW what in the world dose that mean? HA! Been away from the scene for a lil bit.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:03 AM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Personally I would go with either Tein or H&R. H&R has the best warranty and is known for high quality. If you need the ability to adjust damper, go with Tein.

Keep in mind the EDFC is bit more time consuming for the install, and the OE shock tower bar needs to be swapped out for an aftermarket. I would add that cost and purchase at the same time, to finish off the install nicely.

Personally I like the simplicity of the non-damper adjusting H&R kit. If I was going to seriously track the car I might have went with the Tein SS/EDFC. I would probably have bought a TSX though, if I was serious about tracking and mods, just my opinion.

If you search around here on AZ, you will find a plethora of threads on coilover kits.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:52 AM
iScrape going into

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tein SS's if you want dampering adjustability, and the edfc. If not go with Tein Basics.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by powerflow
Personally I would go with either Tein or H&R. H&R has the best warranty and is known for high quality. If you need the ability to adjust damper, go with Tein.

Keep in mind the EDFC is bit more time consuming for the install, and the OE shock tower bar needs to be swapped out for an aftermarket. I would add that cost and purchase at the same time, to finish off the install nicely.

Personally I like the simplicity of the non-damper adjusting H&R kit. If I was going to seriously track the car I might have went with the Tein SS/EDFC. I would probably have bought a TSX though, if I was serious about tracking and mods, just my opinion.

If you search around here on AZ, you will find a plethora of threads on coilover kits.
I have the tein SS, do i need a shock tower bar thats aftermarket? have you had any wear on your tires for being dropped so low. im almost at max on my tein ss and i got some wear on the rite side of my tire, but thats it. any suggestions>?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

I have the tein SS, do i need a shock tower bar thats aftermarket?
No, if you don't have EDFC. The OE bar doesn't allow access to the top damper adjuster. An access hole must be drilled.

Tein SS w/ EDFC takes up too much area to use the OE bar, aftermarket bar is needed to allow space for the motors.

I'm dropped roughly 1.75" on H&R's coilover kit. No tire issues at all, but I do have the rear Ingall's camber kit and a pro alignment done. An alignment is needed any time you change ride height.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Megans!

I vote none of the above...

Megan racing coilovers for greater height adjustability without having to change spring preload, 32 damper adjustments, complete coilover solution without having to reuse any OEM parts, and they look hot
Old 11-04-2008, 12:02 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for the insight makes alot of sense and is something to think about.

T.J.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:03 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Trew
I vote none of the above...

Megan racing coilovers for greater height adjustability without having to change spring preload, 32 damper adjustments, complete coilover solution without having to reuse any OEM parts, and they look hot

Where is a good place to buy the system?
Old 11-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

I thought about the Megan's, but my end conclusion/opinion is:
- Mark up, some Taiwan/Chinese manufacture makes the kit, marks up cost. Megan marks up their cost, then a ton of other resellers are selling the kit for a very competitive cost with their mark up. If all parties are making money, the kit must not have cost much much to make, yet the kit has many options and extra's. They also put some effort into making the kit look appealing.

- I've also noticed there is no lower bushing, just solid metal. Also no upper coil rubber mount, just metal to metal, coil to mount plate.

Not saying it's a bad kit at all, but I liked what the Tein and H&R brands offered a little better.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TOPPDAWG
Where is a good place to buy the system?

$875 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEGAN...6250QQtcZphoto
Old 11-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Drifting

I thought about the Megan's, but my end conclusion/opinion is:
- Mark up, some Taiwan/Chinese manufacture makes the kit, marks up cost. Megan marks up their cost, then a ton of other resellers are selling the kit for a very competitive cost with their mark up. If all parties are making money, the kit must not have cost much much to make, yet the kit has many options and extra's. They also put some effort into making the kit look appealing.

- I've also noticed there is no lower bushing, just solid metal. Also no upper coil rubber mount, just metal to metal, coil to mount plate.

Not saying it's a bad kit at all, but I liked what the Tein and H&R brands offered a little better.

These are very good observations. In fact, I did not realize this. However, after extensive research I could not find any major noise issues from these units. Although it's obvious that rubber might help reduce friction from metal on metal rubbing, it also breaks down after time.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:34 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

If any of you are worried about the strut bar issue, order the richie v6 tein edfc friendly bar, which is currently in production and accepting deposits