Suspension Suggestions for Stock '07 TL 5AT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Suspension Suggestions for Stock '07 TL 5AT?

I've been browsing threads and reading here and there. I want to break the ice on the TL and get some parts. I've been looking at the Progress RSB, Just wondering if everyone typically jumps up to the TL-S front or is there another option here? I realize the best handling option is to get a great set of tires. I have like new rubber on this thing as is. Is there an All Season that will give some decent summer performance as well?

And last but not least Good springs/shock setup that won't make my car all bouncy and jumpy? Something that will ride well and maybe lower just a tad? I see a lot of Tein parts being recommended; I just don't know what all im looking at here. Yes, I searched all of the 40+ "whats the best suspension for the 3g tl" Threads.. most of which all suggested everyone to search and listed a few select parts. I just want a solid street-able ride that isn't harsh, but can handle better.

Thanks in advance, im still trying to learn it all thanks to the garage im gaining info slowly.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
If you want good handling and lowered just a tad, then a top choice would be the ASPEC suspension. Replacing the front roll bar requires dropping the front cradle and is pretty involved for not a trumendous amount of return. Upgrading your rear bar will yield nice results.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:57 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by pohljm
If you want good handling and lowered just a tad, then a top choice would be the ASPEC suspension. Replacing the front roll bar requires dropping the front cradle and is pretty involved for not a trumendous amount of return. Upgrading your rear bar will yield nice results.
Not sure if I agree - sure, you have to drop the subframe, but going from a stock FSB on a 5AT to a Type-S will have a significant impact. It will also keep the car from being too tail happy with the Progress RSB, especially if it is set on stiff.

This thread is required reading: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/progress-rsb-impressions-852678/. Also, if you google acurazine ihatecars and rsb or something like that, one of those threads actually quantifies the impacts between stock AT to stock MT to stock Type-S, along with the Progress RSB.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:39 AM
keep it clean

Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by 07BLKTL
I've been browsing threads and reading here and there. I want to break the ice on the TL and get some parts. I've been looking at the Progress RSB, Just wondering if everyone typically jumps up to the TL-S front or is there another option here? I realize the best handling option is to get a great set of tires. I have like new rubber on this thing as is. Is there an All Season that will give some decent summer performance as well?

And last but not least Good springs/shock setup that won't make my car all bouncy and jumpy? Something that will ride well and maybe lower just a tad? I see a lot of Tein parts being recommended; I just don't know what all im looking at here. Yes, I searched all of the 40+ "whats the best suspension for the 3g tl" Threads.. most of which all suggested everyone to search and listed a few select parts. I just want a solid street-able ride that isn't harsh, but can handle better.

Thanks in advance, im still trying to learn it all thanks to the garage im gaining info slowly.
First, a little search trick I learned from a few members on this forum. Search using Google. Enter the topic you're researching, such as, "progress rsb acurazine tl", this will return a few links regarding your topic and most will be related to acurazine threads.

The Progress RSB is the best RSB for your $$. However, it's good to upgrade the FSB on a base TL to balance out the front and rear, but not a do or die upgrade. A lot of members simply upgraded their RSB and called it a day. As for me, I replaced my Base RSB with a Type-S RSB and enjoy taking sharp turns.

As for all season tires, I'm running Hankook V4 and have no complaints. Although, I'm going to try a set of Kumho all season tires next.

Last, regarding springs I've got H&R Sport springs installed and I'm happy with the drop for now. The drop is decent and isn't bouncy. I have them paired with the Tokico HTS, which have dampening adjust. In my opinion, if you want a comfortable ride, you need adjustable dampening. My coilovers are going to need this feature too. Good Luck with your mods.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:43 PM
flappy paddles

Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts
Like others have said the Progress RSB and Type S front is a killer combination. If you want more you can upgrade further to the H&R FSB. Aspec suspension paireded with the Progress bar is a great way to balance the TL.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:55 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
H&R springs and Progress RSB.

Unless you want to go 'whole hog" and add Koni Yellow's to that. OR, perhaps, A-Spec springs w/Koni Yellow and Progress RSB.

IMHO, there's not as much to gain by adding the H&R FSB on the TL-S as there is with the Base trim.

Edit:

Oops. Thought the OP said 5AT Type-S.

Since it's a base model, do the suspension IHC has - A-Spec Springs, Koni shocks, Progress RSB and H&R FSB.

Last edited by Bearcat94; 05-26-2012 at 02:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
07BLKTL (05-27-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
H&R springs and Progress RSB.

Unless you want to go 'whole hog" and add Koni Yellow's to that. OR, perhaps, A-Spec springs w/Koni Yellow and Progress RSB.

IMHO, there's not as much to gain by adding the H&R FSB on the TL-S as there is with the Base trim.

Edit:

Oops. Thought the OP said 5AT Type-S.

Since it's a base model, do the suspension IHC has - A-Spec Springs, Koni shocks, Progress RSB and H&R FSB.

Thanks for the suggestions, It's nice to hear the all the different suggestions from everyone. I've honestly read so many different threads since I made this thread and there are so many different combo's it's crazy! I want to get some 19's, I don't care about being totally flush, but I do want it to be close. So I also wanna make sure what ever suspension setup I go with will not make it hard to get a set of rims and tires

I was reading the 19" wheel thread to get the wheel specs. And I've been looking through the rim thread to get ideas of what I like.

So much to do!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Many suspension setups around here have looks as the priority. If you want performance on real streets you don't want to lower it much unless you go with coilovers and even then only certain coilovers will retain stock suspension travel. Suspension travel on streets is very important.

The Progress rear bar coupled with either the Type S or the stiffer H&R front bar will work. Aftermarket springs have a bad tendency to increase understeer so knowing matching all of the components is very important such as which swaybar and which setting everything works best on. Balance is very important. You want both ends breaking free at about the same time to get the most out of your setup. Aspec is very well balanced and isn't too stiff.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:38 AM
flappy paddles

Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts
If you're going for looks then you should invest in coilovers.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:55 AM
6SPEED FEVER

Received 119 Likes on 97 Posts
Ultimately coilovers with dampening adjustment (tein street advanced) is the best option drives smoother than stock, you will achieve any height you want without the worry of your car sagging in the back if you have a music system in the trunk.....

Koni shocks paired with springs
Koni supercup kit(heel toe sells them)
Tokico hts paired with lowering springs (excellerate has the shocks on sale)

All these have dampening adjustment, koni have slight height adjustment...

Cheapest combo would be pair of tokico blues paired with springs....tein and h&r being the most popular.......I had tokico with h&r sport springs and 19" wheels..this might help

Old 05-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
19's only look good if you have a significant drop. You need to use coilovers to get that kind of drop and still maintain suspension travel, without that your handling will suffer. Not to mention the 19's will not help your handling at all and will compromise ride quality as well. looks and function are a difficult balancing act.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:00 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm looking to install H&R Sport Springs on my 08 base 5AT. I also want to add anti-sway bars to it. I haven't seen anyone mention H&R both front AND rear bars. This is what I'm looking at. Any reason a progress rear bar is better than an H&R? I thought of keeping both bars from the same company.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by beyond 1000
I'm looking to install H&R Sport Springs on my 08 base 5AT. I also want to add anti-sway bars to it. I haven't seen anyone mention H&R both front AND rear bars. This is what I'm looking at. Any reason a progress rear bar is better than an H&R? I thought of keeping both bars from the same company.

Thanks in advance
I know. I also can't understand why not go H&R all the way paired with Koni"s. Seem's to me that setup would be hard to beat for handling.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by beyond 1000

Thanks in advance
The H&R stuff is really nice. I have the combo you talk about, H&R up front, Progress in the rear. I got the Progress about a year before the H&R, before I had planned to do any additional upgrades or I might have done H&R for both. H&R is quite a bit more expensive though.

I don't know the stiffness of the two but the H&R rear bar is 2mm smaller than the Progress. If everything else is the same (lever arm, metallurgy, etc), the Progress should be noticeably stiffer but that's an unknown. With the 28mm H&R bar up front, you're going to want a stiff bar in the rear (no, not that way lol) to retain good handling balance.

I have the front bar on stiff, rear bar on stiff, and had to use extremely stiff rear springs to get the balance where I liked it. Keep in mind as well, if ultimate performance is the goal, the swaybars are torsional springs and you will want to have adjustable shocks that you can firm up with the addition of the swaybars. Obviously not required but additional damping is recommended with the stiffer swaybars.