Stick with Yokohoma YK's or ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 09:22 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stick with Yokohoma YK's or ????

Time to get some new tires.

I will be replacing my Yoko YK580's.

Should i stick with these or go with something else?

I have a 100 mile round trip to work commute. Mostly highway drive.

I have not had much issue with the Yoko's so far, except for some reason the fronts are worn down back in the middle of the tread... the backs are normal wear.

Wondering if I should stick to these or go Contenintal Extreme Contact's (have read a lot of good about these), or even some Good Year Triple Treads (had these on my previous car and loved them, got almost 100k out of them).

any suggestion is appreciated. thanks!
Old 09-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 181 Posts
How many miles did you get out of the YKs? I have YK's and have been impressed with the tire wear and noise. The performance is good but maybe not as good as my Pilot AS/Plus tires in their prime as my previous set of tires. I have been impressed with the YK580s on mountain roads and will get to try them again in another week on a very twisty mountain rode to see how they do after 15k miles. My Pilot AS Plus tires started showing some performance degradation at this stage but I doubt the YKs since they have a lot more tread on them- especially the outside edges.

Since you're asking the question, I'm thinking you might not have liked the tires?

I might consider the Michelin Pilot AS-3's possibly if I don't get 40k out of the YK580S

Last edited by LaCostaRacer; 09-01-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Drifting

As a follow on, I'm much more in tune with tire life these days than before. The reason is having to pop for TPMS sensors every time you change tires- that's an extra 60-80 on top of the mounting/balancing, disposal fees, tax and other costs you need to endure every time you buy a new set of tires. The Michelins were like 1.2x better but have possibly 1/2 to maybe 2/3's the life of the Yokohamas- seemed like a good time to see what the YK580s would do and I have been pretty impressed with them so far.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:24 AM
8th Gear

I have 2 yk's on my car and they have lasted forever. I had to replace the other two tires twice and now i have to replace the other two tires again soon. and the YK's are still not down to their wear markers. I've driven them in the mountains before and they have great grip but of course not as good as a summer tire.I must say i couldn't get them to make any noise around even the sharpest corners. I would take the trade off in performance for longevity, especially since its my daily and i do a lot of hwy cruising rather than canyon carving.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,244 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
As a follow on, I'm much more in tune with tire life these days than before. The reason is having to pop for TPMS sensors every time you change tires- that's an extra 60-80 on top of the mounting/balancing, disposal fees, tax and other costs you need to endure every time you buy a new set of tires. The Michelins were like 1.2x better but have possibly 1/2 to maybe 2/3's the life of the Yokohamas- seemed like a good time to see what the YK580s would do and I have been pretty impressed with them so far.
Are you saying you are replacing your TPMS sensors every time you replace your tires?? Why would you need to do that? I've never heard of that and never done it.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 151 Posts
^^confused as well
Old 09-02-2014, 02:49 PM

OP - I have the Conti's on my daughter's Accord and have been very happy with them, but doubt you will get the same number of miles you apparently are getting with the YK580s. I did a quick check and couldn't find the UTQG rating for the YK to compare.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:03 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Are you saying you are replacing your TPMS sensors every time you replace your tires?? Why would you need to do that? I've never heard of that and never done it.
The two places I go (Costco & Discount Tire) insist on changing out or rebuilding the sensors- similar to balancing the wheels. I never thought this as an optional expense, but suppose it could be now. I just looked at my last receipt and the rebuild kit was only $22 for 4 tires, so not a huge expense- Costco is much higher in this regard since you have to buy a new sensor at $18. Costco charged me a sensor to repair a flat even which I thought was absurd but paid once.

The other costs are still there and significant: $10 (disposal for 4 tires) + $64 (balancing/install) + $7 (environmental) + $95.20 (free replacement on damage). That all adds up to $176 for each set of 4 tires for extra fee's + $55 for tax. You're essentially buying 5 tires when you get 4.

That's why I think the Yoko's are actually a pretty good compromise between performance and cost savings compared to other choices out there. I'm figuring that I'll have the same experience as Alexander in that regard and wind up sparing one trip to Discount Tire that I would make with another choice. That could be: $933 or higher if prices go up.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:20 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
OP - I have the Conti's on my daughter's Accord and have been very happy with them, but doubt you will get the same number of miles you apparently are getting with the YK580s. I did a quick check and couldn't find the UTQG rating for the YK to compare.
Here's some info for the YK580's:
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...748&vid=009435

They're $10 less than the AS3's and have a treadwear rating of 580. The AS3 has a tread wear rating of 500 which I believe was the same as my AS-Plus tires which failed miserably. The AS3's were not available when I bought my 580's and I wasn't going to repeat that mistake. The AS3 tires have a new design so maybe they will last longer. My cousin bought a set for his TL and I'll see how they do- he got about 30k out of his AS-Plus tires and I got 24k out of mine. Still a lot less than the 45k warranty that is voided if you should ever rotate your own tires which I did once to check the brake pads.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:25 AM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
The two places I go (Costco & Discount Tire) insist on changing out or rebuilding the sensors- similar to balancing the wheels. I never thought this as an optional expense, but suppose it could be now. I just looked at my last receipt and the rebuild kit was only $22 for 4 tires, so not a huge expense- Costco is much higher in this regard since you have to buy a new sensor at $18. Costco charged me a sensor to repair a flat even which I thought was absurd but paid once.
Your Costco is ripping you off. They do not "require" the TPMS to be replaced. The local manager is probably trying to boost profits. Our local Costco asks if you want it replaced, but absolutely does not require it.

The other costs are still there and significant: $10 (disposal for 4 tires) + $64 (balancing/install) + $7 (environmental) + $95.20 (free replacement on damage). That all adds up to $176 for each set of 4 tires for extra fee's + $55 for tax. You're essentially buying 5 tires when you get 4.
All of this should be included in the price at Costco already. Unless Costco does this differently state by state. We have purchased multiple sets of tires from Costco and I only remember the disposal fees being extra.
The following users liked this post:
96SC4 (09-03-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 08:54 AM

That's why I think the Yoko's are actually a pretty good compromise between performance and cost savings compared to other choices out there. I'm figuring that I'll have the same experience as Alexander in that regard and wind up sparing one trip to Discount Tire that I would make with another choice. That could be: $933 or higher if prices go up.
Typically (at least what I have seen locally) the tire retailers (Town Fair Tire) and big box stores (BJ's) have a rolled up or bundled price included in the tire price. I have paid the disposal fee which can vary widely, but think it is usually around $6 per tire. Balancing/install as I mentioned is typically included in the tire price. Environmental to me is no different than the disposal fee(do they explain what that is?), so maybe you are double paying? The $95.20 free replacement sounds like a road hazard waranty and is typically optional. Think of it as an insurance policy you are buying. As mentioned above anything to do with TPMS, unless you are having problems before going to the tire shop is unnecessary. The only other charge I can think of which may cost you is alignment and seeing you are putting new tires on the car, I would argue this is a good idea. My local tire retailer gives you a free front wheel alignment with any tire purchase and if you have an adjustable rear end will charge to do that if you want to get it done.
So the net of all of this is, I believe there are additional monies to be saved.

Last edited by NBP04TL4ME; 09-03-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the Pilot Sport AS3's and I've been happy with them (came from the stock Michellin MXVIII??).

The ride is softer, but I also have a little more sidewall (increased width to 245).

I only have 5K on them now so we'll see how they hold up in the long run.

FWIW, I called Discount Tire and they wanted the same price for the Yoko YK580 than what I got for the AS3's from Costco.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Drifting

^ Costco has a $70 off coupon for Michelins this month- you'll want to use that for the AS3s if you go that route. I just looked at my Costco receipt (from 2009) and the Costco fees were:

State tire fee: $7
Mount/balance: 56
Disposal: 4

Anyway, the fees are one thing, but it's the wear that really ticked me off about the Michelins. I hope the AS3s do better. My OEM Pilot H?? and Pilot AS/Plus wore about the same: 22k miles and 24k and they were crappy about 4K before I replaced them.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:36 PM
5th Gear

Just purchased a set of Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S tires not too long ago and I am impressed with them as they are up to par with the previous Michelin tires that I had on my TL.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Drifting

I just got to test my YK580 tires under extreme conditions on a trip to Northern California. I had absolutely no problems staying with an Audi A4 2.0t along a windy road called 'Bear Creek Road' in Santa Cruz mountains. I have been driving that road for 30 years and it is a great test for a car's handling and its tires. I had one tire roar and that was it for almost 10 miles of hard driving.

The mountain folk in Boulder Creek really know how to drive that road, but they are also all over the double-yellow divider which is both illegal and stupid. I had no problems staying with Joe Audi and not following his lead in straightening the curves like he was doing. Good gosh this is not motocross- there's opposing traffic some times.

I'll have a few more Bear Creek Road encounters during my stay. It's nice being able to drive the road quickly when the family isn't with me- very rare circumstances.

Anyway, I'm very satisfied with these tires two years and 16.5k miles after my purchase. I can't say the same with my previous set of Michelin Pilot A/S Plus- they were great for 1 year and close to shot by this age with worn inner/outer edges.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I have had the YK580's on my car for forever. I love them. Planning on going back again.

If you like them, I dont know why you would change something that is great!