Springs Vrs Coilover set

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 07:52 AM
GTown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Springs Vrs Coilover set

I want to drop my 05 TL 5at sitting on some 18's at this momment but will be upgrading to some 19's here soon.

Questions is I want to drop the car, and what are the pro's and con's between lowering springs and coilover sets?

Old 03-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Intermediate

The difference is the price, but im sure the guru's will step in. I have my TL dropped on springs with tokico blues. And the car rides like a dream. Coilovers are fully adjustable. You dont have to take them off to raise or lower your car. As far as ride quality im sure it depends on if the coilovers have any damping controls. As far as springs there are different struts and shocks that have damping controls or are made for lowering springs. Lastly it depends on your budget too. Remember you get what you pay for. That doesnt have to be a bad thing.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:10 AM
GTown

Originally Posted by jens04TL
The difference is the price, but im sure the guru's will step in. I have my TL dropped on springs with tokico blues. And the car rides like a dream. Coilovers are fully adjustable. You dont have to take them off to raise or lower your car. As far as ride quality im sure it depends on if the coilovers have any damping controls. As far as springs there are different struts and shocks that have damping controls or are made for lowering springs. Lastly it depends on your budget too. Remember you get what you pay for. That doesnt have to be a bad thing.
how much of a drop did you get with those springs and what size rims do u roll with?
Old 03-12-2011, 10:03 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
here, i found this thread located about 5 threads below yours in this section. SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND!

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/whats-difference-between-lowering-springs-coilovers-811029/
Old 03-12-2011, 10:07 AM
10th Gear

spring are pointless ur better off spending double the moneyon coilovers because one u get spring u cantr lower it or adjust it in anyway but u get a good set of Tein coilovers like i got and u get everything damper control stiffness height everythin and the Tein Flex's are very comfortable with the EDFC
Old 03-12-2011, 10:37 AM
GTown

Originally Posted by lilcow418
spring are pointless ur better off spending double the moneyon coilovers because one u get spring u cantr lower it or adjust it in anyway but u get a good set of Tein coilovers like i got and u get everything damper control stiffness height everythin and the Tein Flex's are very comfortable with the EDFC
I take it you got the tein SS then...
Old 03-12-2011, 10:44 AM
GTown

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
here, i found this thread located about 5 threads below yours in this section. SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND!

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=811029
^^^thanks bro... I'm sort of new to azine so navigating is taking getting use to.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
it all depends on the wants and needs so you can't really say they are pointless.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
and the EDFC may make ur life easier...but wont make the coilovers more comfortable

Coilovers offer TONS more height/damping adjustment (If you prefer a firmer ride.. coils will do the job)

springs give ~1-1.5" drop.. comfort wise pretty much stays the same, but like lilcow said, once u install it u WONT be able to adjust height afterwards

I've had experiences with both... if I had to do it a 3rd time around, I would go straight to coils
Old 03-13-2011, 07:37 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I wouldn't say springs are pointless. Just depends on what the end goal is. If the drop desired can be obtained with springs then why not? For example, Bearcat94's TL-S is lowered on springs. Though it is not dumped, it looks great for what it is (practical drop). His ride quality is probably better as well. I've had H&Rs,Teins, KWs (V2 and V3), GC/Koni, and other setups on various cars in the past and, though they offer good flexibility in ride height, they don't come close in ride comfort even on the "comfortable" dampening settings. It could also be comparing apples to oranges because if on coilovers, it's likely that the drop might be much lower thus reducing suspension travel compared to typical lowering springs.

Last edited by SDSilverM3; 03-13-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by raydiddy
I want to drop my 05 TL 5at sitting on some 18's at this momment but will be upgrading to some 19's here soon.

Questions is I want to drop the car, and what are the pro's and con's between lowering springs and coilover sets?

I've written a lot on this so I'm not going to get into details, they can be found with a search.

The TL comes stock with "coilovers". All else being equal there's no performance advantage of aftermarket coilovers vs springs and shocks. The number one advantage of coilovers is to be able to adjust your height. That's important to some, not important to others. I did my research on my spring and shock combo and I've never once wanted to adjust the height.

On the flip side, I'm in it 95% for the performance and 5% for the looks. I tend to change spring rates trying to find the right balance. Since I've changed the rear spring rate a few times, springs make much more sense for me. I also have Koni adjustable shocks which will accept any spring rate out there and they offer ride height adjustment. This combo is admittedly as much as a coilover setup but again, it fits my needs better.

The one advantage that some coilovers have is that you don't lose suspension travel as the car is lowered and obviously they come with a new shock. This is a big advantage if you care about performance and even comfort to a smaller degree. The TL already has very limited suspension travel and setting it closer to the already close bumpstops will give it nasty handling characteristics at the limit and kill ride quality. I modified my Konis to retain full suspension travel which is not that hard but it's probably not for the beginner. Not every coilover has this feature and if I remember right, most don't have it.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:51 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by raydiddy
how much of a drop did you get with those springs and what size rims do u roll with?
I have HR race which did 2" front 1.75" rear with tokico blue struts and shocks. I had 19"s but sold them already. The first week i had them i had a guy offer me money for them so i sold them. and im gonna get me another set soon. And its not pointless to me. It actually rides really good. I dont have the need for adjusting, raising or lowering my car so coilovers for me.... why i dont need adjustment. And besides like i said depends also on what you want to spend. A good spring set up will do the job if thats what you want.