A-Spec suspension where to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A-Spec suspension where to buy?

I am looking to add A-Spec suspension to my 2006 6speed TL. I checked with HondaAcuraWorld and was told the suspension is only available in a package with the wheels. Does anyone know for sure where I can find the suspension by itself?
Old 12-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
try this
http://www.lasvegasacura.com/
Old 12-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I would use the Tein SS for the TL
Many call it the adjustable a spec, gives adjustable drop height with easy change
Gives firm to smooth ride control with twist of a simple tool at the top of the shock
Buy a body kit of your choosing- check the aftermarket and make a unique TL
Old 12-29-2007, 05:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
I would use the Tein SS for the TL
Many call it the adjustable a spec, gives adjustable drop height with easy change
Gives firm to smooth ride control with twist of a simple tool at the top of the shock
Buy a body kit of your choosing- check the aftermarket and make a unique TL
Thanks for the note and the suggestion.

This is definitely an option but I have pretty much decided that the A-Spec is the way to go for me. There is a lot of R&D that goes into properly tuning a suspension system. I do not have the expertise to properly set it up and having a lot of adjustability is not necessarily a good thing in my opinion. It woud give me more opportunities to get it wrong. The fact that Acura has a different A-Spec suspension for the 6 speed versus the auto tells me that they spent some time on it to get it set up just right.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:14 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

I can imagine TEIN puts in equal if not more testing and product development research into their products because thats what they specialize in = suspension setups.

I just do not like A-specs (TL or TSX) because they are very overpriced, and for what they offer, I don't think its worth the money, slightly increased spring rate, and a non existant drop you can only notice with a magnifying lense.

I've had my TEIN coilover when I bought my TSX brand new in 2005 and they are perfect. I don't have a RICE drop, but a subtle drop thats similar to the BMW 3 series or the Audi A4 style wheel gap. Plus the handling is night and day.

And the 2 versions MT or AT for the Aspecs just takes into account the difference in weight between the 2 transmission types, which I'm sure wasn't too much of an extensive research, but a math equation they plugged and chugged to calculate the spring rate for the differences in weight from the transmission.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by xenonhid
I can imagine TEIN puts in equal if not more testing and product development research into their products because thats what they specialize in = suspension setups.

I just do not like A-specs (TL or TSX) because they are very overpriced, and for what they offer, I don't think its worth the money, slightly increased spring rate, and a non existant drop you can only notice with a magnifying lense.

I've had my TEIN coilover when I bought my TSX brand new in 2005 and they are perfect. I don't have a RICE drop, but a subtle drop thats similar to the BMW 3 series or the Audi A4 style wheel gap. Plus the handling is night and day.

And the 2 versions MT or AT for the Aspecs just takes into account the difference in weight between the 2 transmission types, which I'm sure wasn't too much of an extensive research, but a math equation they plugged and chugged to calculate the spring rate for the differences in weight from the transmission.
Whats the weight difference?
Old 12-29-2007, 08:50 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
koni yellows ftw lol (cheaper price than alternatives mentioned)
Old 12-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Did you concider these?

Comptech
Old 12-29-2007, 07:57 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
bmaczo6: If you want to get the A-Spec package then get it. I sure love mine and the drop is definitely noticeable. It's just not slammed which in my opinion looks
Old 12-29-2007, 08:20 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by xenonhid
I can imagine TEIN puts i... and a non existant drop you can only notice with a magnifying lense.
I think your response focuses on the drop whereas the original poster wasn't seeking drop issues. Rather, he was seeking a decent price on the suspension itself. I've seen the A-spec struts for aroud $600 from private parties (new) and from dealers around $700. The Tein's on the other hand are $1,200 and as the OP stated, may be more trouble than they are worth (Why spend twice as much if the drop isn't important and the complexities of changing the suspension are of no value)? I also agree that too severe a drop on the TL does make the car look either ghetto or ricey. Either way, scraping your butt on every speed bump is stupid IMHO (of course)
Old 12-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ndabunka
I think your response focuses on the drop whereas the original poster wasn't seeking drop issues. Rather, he was seeking a decent price on the suspension itself. I've seen the A-spec struts for aroud $600 from private parties (new) and from dealers around $700. The Tein's on the other hand are $1,200 and as the OP stated, may be more trouble than they are worth (Why spend twice as much if the drop isn't important and the complexities of changing the suspension are of no value)? I also agree that too severe a drop on the TL does make the car look either ghetto or ricey. Either way, scraping your butt on every speed bump is stupid IMHO (of course)
Very good response.

I have 0 interest in drop. I am interested in a bolt on suspension mod that will improve handling and is already set up for the car. If the handling is improved and that results in a drop so be it.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by bmaczo6
Thanks for the note and the suggestion.

This is definitely an option but I have pretty much decided that the A-Spec is the way to go for me. There is a lot of R&D that goes into properly tuning a suspension system. I do not have the expertise to properly set it up and having a lot of adjustability is not necessarily a good thing in my opinion. It woud give me more opportunities to get it wrong. The fact that Acura has a different A-Spec suspension for the 6 speed versus the auto tells me that they spent some time on it to get it set up just right.

Hmm, well, just fyi, adjusting the Teins is not exactly rocket science. You can't really mess it up. The fact that Acura has different setups is indicative that they "got it right" for THEM. Not necessarily for YOU. Adjustability also affords the further changing later on as your tastes change.

That being said, if you are just looking for a mild upgrade with minimal drop the A-spec will fit the bill. I can get them for you also, if you need a set still.

Marcus
Old 12-31-2007, 12:56 PM
Former Sponsor

$1200? I don't think they offer a kit for the TL in this price range...

You are going to a pretty hard extreme here. A 2" drop (usually what you'll get with the Tein SS/Basics) is hardly enough to make the car look bad or scrape on the ground, even over speed bumps. I understand you note "severe" drop, but you fail to define what "severe" is.

Teins are a perfectly viable setup for daily driving with comfort and enhanced performance. They handle better than the A-spec as well. So to the original poster, if you want a setup that you can get handling the way you want it to, and choose your level of compromise, I suggest the Tein SS. They are not all that much more than the A-spec, and they are not difficult to set up.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:30 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
$1200? I don't think they offer a kit for the TL in this price range...

You are going to a pretty hard extreme here. A 2" drop (usually what you'll get with the Tein SS/Basics) is hardly enough to make the car look bad or scrape on the ground, even over speed bumps. I understand you note "severe" drop, but you fail to define what "severe" is.

Teins are a perfectly viable setup for daily driving with comfort and enhanced performance. They handle better than the A-spec as well. So to the original poster, if you want a setup that you can get handling the way you want it to, and choose your level of compromise, I suggest the Tein SS. They are not all that much more than the A-spec, and they are not difficult to set up.
I guess to me anything over 1.5" is "severe" so yea, the 2.0" of the tein's would be something I might consider severe. Afterall, I am a 45 year old dude and they guys at the country club would probably just fall out laughing their butts off at me coming into the lot with my bumpers riding the ground. But, the 20-somethings here might still think a 2" drop looks "cool". I thought the teins were $1,200. Are you saying the tien basics can be had for somewhere near the $600 mark?
Old 12-31-2007, 07:37 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

I'm an old fart (45) so for me to drive into my country club with my rump dragging the ground (i.e. 2-inch drop) would simply make me the laughing stock. My golf game already has that job and isn't giving any interviews for replacement at this time. I could "get away" with a 1-inch drop but, yea 2-inches is "severe" (for me). Some of the 20-somethings may still think it looks "cool" so it may be OK for them. I seem to remember that the Teins were around $1,200 but that may have been for the SS's with the electronic controls (or something). I did see your site where you list the Basics for $705 so that's not bad (if you want the more drastic drop).

Also, while the TL is a nice car. It's no SCCA contender so turning the handling into something on par with my old 280Z (i.e. rock hard, flat cornering) at the cost of a decent ride isn't what most TL drivers are seeking.

Since I have NEVER cornered this car around a 90 turn ANYWHERE close to 120MPH (like I have with other cars), I don't need race-tuned suspensions.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:27 PM
Racer

Hmm, well, just fyi, adjusting the Teins is not exactly rocket science. You can't really mess it up.
Adjusting suspension may not be rocket science but it is not so simple that one could not mess it up. One only has to spend an afternoon watching a NASCAR race to see how very small changes can have dramatic effects on handling and speed. Manufacturers and Race teams spend huge amounts of time trying to get the suspension set up to achieve the desired results. A novice correctly setting up a fully adjustable suspension for the best handling is about as likely as winning the lottery.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm an old fart (45) so for me to drive into my country club with my rump dragging the ground (i.e. 2-inch drop) would simply make me the laughing stock. My golf game already has that job and isn't giving any interviews for replacement at this time. I could "get away" with a 1-inch drop but, yea 2-inches is "severe" (for me). Some of the 20-somethings may still think it looks "cool" so it may be OK for them. I seem to remember that the Teins were around $1,200 but that may have been for the SS's with the electronic controls (or something). I did see your site where you list the Basics for $705 so that's not bad (if you want the more drastic drop).

Also, while the TL is a nice car. It's no SCCA contender so turning the handling into something on par with my old 280Z (i.e. rock hard, flat cornering) at the cost of a decent ride isn't what most TL drivers are seeking.

Since I have NEVER cornered this car around a 90 turn ANYWHERE close to 120MPH (like I have with other cars), I don't need race-tuned suspensions.

Hmm, yes but see this is what I am saying...because a 2" drop is drastic to you and not to others (with a 1-finger gap all around, rump nowhere near the ground mind you, as long as your personal weight isn't north of 300 lbs) it is not "correct" to describe it as such. I get a lot of people who are literally concerned about the effects of an upgrade because an intake is "loud" or a suspension is "stiff" or "low." If we could, as a community, agree to describe things objectively, there would be a lot less confusion.

Likewise, while the Basic or SS will make the ride firmer than stock, we cannot fairly say the suspension is rock hard. Nor is it track-prep or track-ready or race tuned. You are again exaggerating which, as mentioned, may be your perfectly valid personal opinion, but misleads others. The ride with these suspensions is very compliant and is designed to soak up road bumps and irregularities just as well as the stock suspension, without the boat-like undulations that occur with stock parts.

Adjusting suspension may not be rocket science but it is not so simple that one could not mess it up. One only has to spend an afternoon watching a NASCAR race to see how very small changes can have dramatic effects on handling and speed. Manufacturers and Race teams spend huge amounts of time trying to get the suspension set up to achieve the desired results. A novice correctly setting up a fully adjustable suspension for the best handling is about as likely as winning the lottery.
Actually, you really can't mess this up man. If you can read a tape measure, and count, and read, then you can set the height and dampening stiffness of a Tein SS or Basic kit just fine. Motorsports competition is an entirely different ball game and this is really an inappropriate comparison to draw. There are no large bumps to contend with on a race track, and traction is a multitude higher than on the street. Small changes will make a big difference on the track when the vehicles are performing at 10/10th all the time. On the street, you won't even see 7/10s (even if you are capable, you should not be that irresponsible). That big cushion combined with a drastically larger margin of error isolates you from causing your car becoming an uncontrollable missile. This is a fact. In other words...if installing one of these kits per the well laid out directions causes a problem for you with driving, I would begin to question your driving ability altogether.

Additionally take note, Tein SS is not FULLY adjustable. There is one knob to make the ride firmer or softer, and one collar to raise and lower the car. There is no spring preload. Compression and rebound are not independently adjustable. You can barely set the alignment on these cars. Furthermore, each stiffness setting is not worlds away from the next in terms of effect. These are not huge changes that are being made, and even at the extremes you will not have an unsafe car. And there are plenty of resources to go to for advice in setting up (myself, for one) through professional guidance.

You too are exaggerating, and this sort of comment, again I can appreciate your stance and am not trying to convince you of anything, discourages others from being adventurous and having some fun with their cars. And god forbid, LEARNING a little more about what those race teams spend so much money for.

Marcus

PS, before either of you want to jump on my ass for this thread...please consider the fact that I am expressing TRUTHS not OPINIONS. Your opinion of my posts my be poor, but it will not take any truth away from what I what posted. I am not trying to be offensive, but rather to put things in perspective.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Former Sponsor

I just realized this is turning into somewhat of a thread-jack. So I apologize for that.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:22 PM
B A N N E D

are these too big?

can someone tell me if these will fit on an 04 tl w/ bbk?

thanks in advance

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-Mu...spagenameZWDVW
Old 01-02-2008, 01:22 AM
Former Sponsor

You know, mine was a pretty a-hole-ish post to make...but I really get sick of undoing some of these forum myths that get spread around. And when I see comments that encourage these myths it irks me. So I apologize for coming off poorly, but try to give some credence to my comments.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Racer

Motorsports competition is an entirely different ball game and this is really an inappropriate comparison to draw. There are no large bumps to contend with on a race track, and traction is a multitude higher than on the street. Small changes will make a big difference on the track when the vehicles are performing at 10/10th all the time. On the street, you won't even see 7/10s (even if you are capable, you should not be that irresponsible). That big cushion combined with a drastically larger margin of error isolates you from causing your car becoming an uncontrollable missile. This is a fact. In other words...if installing one of these kits per the well laid out directions causes a problem for you with driving, I would begin to question your driving ability altogether.
In my original post I did not say what I intended to do with the car. I only asked where to obtain A-Spec suspension. You should not assume that my car will only be driven on the street. I have driven on the track with a couple of BMW M3's as well as a Corvette Z06, Porsche 944 turbo, Ford Probe GT, and a Honda VFR 800. Of the 6 vehicles I currently own there is only one that I would not consider tracking.

I am curious as to how much track time you have had to come up with your conclusions. Some tracks are a lot bumpier than you might think. Many corners will easily unsettle a car and having properly adjusted suspension will help significantly. In my experience, traction is not mulitudes higher on the track. Speeds are much higher because conditions are much more predictable. After going around the same corner several times one learns how hard you can push it. Excuse me for being irresponsible but there are plenty of places where I live that one, with the sufficient experience, can safely exceed driving at 7/10's on the street. There is always a time and a place but there are plenty of areas that are plenty safe with good visibility.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Damn, this thread really went off on a tangent. Here is an answer to your question: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACURA...spagenameZWDVW

Acura of LV is where I bought mine almost two years ago. I paid $675 with shipping so it looks like prices have gone up, but they were a pleasure to deal with and I am satisfied with the suspension.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Former Sponsor

In my original post I did not say what I intended to do with the car. I only asked where to obtain A-Spec suspension. You should not assume that my car will only be driven on the street. I have driven on the track with a couple of BMW M3's as well as a Corvette Z06, Porsche 944 turbo, Ford Probe GT, and a Honda VFR 800. Of the 6 vehicles I currently own there is only one that I would not consider tracking.

I am curious as to how much track time you have had to come up with your conclusions. Some tracks are a lot bumpier than you might think. Many corners will easily unsettle a car and having properly adjusted suspension will help significantly. In my experience, traction is not mulitudes higher on the track. Speeds are much higher because conditions are much more predictable. After going around the same corner several times one learns how hard you can push it. Excuse me for being irresponsible but there are plenty of places where I live that one, with the sufficient experience, can safely exceed driving at 7/10's on the street. There is always a time and a place but there are plenty of areas that are plenty safe with good visibility.

Without trying to escalate things I am getting confused. I understand what you said you were looking for, and I agree that it seems like a good choice for you.

But given the light of your track experience, I am failing to understand what makes you thin these Tein kits are track setups that are difficult to adjust properly...If you were inexperienced and unknowledgable of vehicle driving dynamics I could understand. But if you have this sort of seat time, then dialing in the SS for the street would be a no brainer. I am not trying to convince you to get them...only to make sure your decision is based on the capabilities of the parts.

I do not have a lot of track time, only a few laps at Holtville raceway. Of course, this track is one of the nastiest places one would want to bring a car, so I do have a pretty good idea of how bad tracks can be. But wouldn't you agree that A NASCAR, IRL, or F1 car will have tremendous amounts of traction compared to anything not purpose built? This, afterall, was the comparison you drew. To NASCAR.

I agree that driving at 7/10s is possible on the street in the right conditions. And my stance is that 7/10 will be increased with a better suspension kit.

You are right, you never did indicate your intentions with your car. What are they?

Marcus
Old 01-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Racer

But given the light of your track experience, I am failing to understand what makes you thin these Tein kits are track setups that are difficult to adjust properly...If you were inexperienced and unknowledgable of vehicle driving dynamics I could understand. But if you have this sort of seat time, then dialing in the SS for the street would be a no brainer. I am not trying to convince you to get them...only to make sure your decision is based on the capabilities of the parts.

I do not have a lot of track time, only a few laps at Holtville raceway. Of course, this track is one of the nastiest places one would want to bring a car, so I do have a pretty good idea of how bad tracks can be. But wouldn't you agree that A NASCAR, IRL, or F1 car will have tremendous amounts of traction compared to anything not purpose built? This, afterall, was the comparison you drew. To NASCAR.

You are right, you never did indicate your intentions with your car. What are they?

Marcus
I did not state any comment on the Tein kits because I do not know enough about them. I do know that the test reports of the A-Spec suspension by knowledgeable writers reported improved handling. I always wonder how much engineering went into aftermarket kits and if they truly are an upgrade. If you have some links of auto journalists test of teins on a TL I would be interested in reading them.

The main reason traction is so much better on the track is because of the tires. I have driven a couple of cars with race tires and the difference is far greater than than most people would believe. Braking loads and cornering forces go up substantially. Once you take to the track with race tires you understand why they make 5 point harnesses.

I am looking for only one thing and that is to improve the handling of the car. I would like to know that if I ever decided to track the car that it would be ready to go. I have not pushed the TL very hard with the stock EL42's because, as we all know, they are not very good for spirited driving. I have a new set of Bridgestone RE-01's on a spare set of rims that will go on the car as soon as weather permits. With increased traction I suspect that the stock suspension and/or swaybars may not be up to the task. But then again, I may just leave the TL alone since I can always jump in the Corvette or on one of my bikes when I want to play or hit the track.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Former Sponsor

You indicated that adjustable suspensions (such as the Tein SS) are unsuitable for use in the hands of unprofessional tuners. It was a generalization you made. And you are assuming because an aftermarket company is not an OEM which is never a good thing to do. I am sure if you poked around you could find plenty of cases on this very site of perfectly reasonable people using these parts in every day situations reporting an extreme amount of enjoyment in both handling and ride performance. Taking the word of an automotive journalist has it's considerations as well. Given the opportunity to test such a setup would be great, no doubt. One of my favorite adages, "absence of proof is not proof of absence." If you can call a journalist's take on things as "proof" that is.

Yes, tires is the main reason for added traction, and as those tires are not used on the street, drawing a motorsports comparison is not going to paint an accurate picture of the product street performance. That's all I am saying.

If you are satisfied with the handling of the car now, then I would expect the A-spec would provide enough performance to compliment your improved tire choice. The initial IF statement being operative here, as for many users (those of us without true sports cars in our garage) this IF statement is FALSE.

Marcus
Old 01-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Racer

You indicated that adjustable suspensions (such as the Tein SS) are unsuitable for use in the hands of unprofessional tuners. It was a generalization you made. And you are assuming because an aftermarket company is not an OEM which is never a good thing to do. I am sure if you poked around you could find plenty of cases on this very site of perfectly reasonable people using these parts in every day situations reporting an extreme amount of enjoyment in both handling and ride performance. Taking the word of an automotive journalist has it's considerations as well. Given the opportunity to test such a setup would be great, no doubt. One of my favorite adages, "absence of proof is not proof of absence." If you can call a journalist's take on things as "proof" that is.
Your 1st point may have extrapolated my comment too far. What I said was the chance of a novice setting up a fully adjustable suspension for the best handling is as likely as winning the lottery. They may get it to the way they like it but it will unlikely be set to the optimum. This does not mean it is unsuitable as everyone has their own preferences. Each individual can decide for themselves how they want to spend their money.

I have read a lot about A-Spec from many different sources and they seem to universally applaud the improved handling. I do not accept anyone's single opinion as fact but when I hear the same thing from many different sources it becomes harder to dispute especially when I have not heard one single comment that said the car handles worse with A-Spec.

I do not know how good or how not so good a move to Tein would be. I do not have enough information to make an informed decision. I have heard plenty of folks on this forum say how much better the car handles but, to be honest, these opinions do not carry a lot of weight due to the relative inexperience of most of these guys. When I hear from someone with a lot of track experience how much better they like one suspension over another and the reasons why I tend to listen. I see a lot of people on this forum suggesting a certain suspension because of the drop not because it handles better. Lets face it, the majority of the folks on this forum are probably more concerned about appearance than performance.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Yes, this is true. I generally feel that for these cars the performance should at bare minimum be maintained and many times lowering will negatively impact many factors of performance. Suspensions that offer lower rides combined with better handling get my general vote, mostly because I personally am looking for both ends.

Tein suspensions are used on many levels of performance driving and racing. Not limited to all classes of Honda Challenge and WRC competition. The Tein USA engineer literally globetrots from one WRC event to the next providing support. The technology is there.

As far as the publication aspect: It makes me think...what other great companies are covered by the leading automotive publications? HKS comes to mind, as does Mugen. These parts are known to have many lower cost rivals that provide great products. By this logic, Mallet and Lingenfelter would be the only really great places to go for Corvette performance, and with a Porsche one should look no further than Ruf.

I am not saying their word on the A-spec is not valid. The handling improvement is quite noticeable. I think the car should have come with the A-Spec STOCK. Personally I do not find it aggressive enough to be a truly satisfying suspension. Maybe that is my relative youth or lack of experience talking though.

Marcus

PS, I don't think I took you comment too far really. But maybe your comment was made out of context: "the chance of a novice setting up a fully adjustable suspension for the best handling is as likely as winning the lottery."

This doesn't really apply to our conversation as nothing available for the TL is really "fully adjustable."