Some questions on spline-drive lugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:55 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Some questions on spline-drive lugs

Okay, so my new wheels are in and I'd like to secure them asap. Did a search and learned some things, but don't quite have the answers. Tire Rack's included installation hardware consists of a spline-drive tuner lug and the driver tool is Gorilla-branded. Before realizing this, I started shopping on eBay for theft-deterrent (I know nothing's theft-proof) lug solutions and was eyeing up some Moteki spline-drives.

So, does anyone know how many different spline drivers a particular manufacturer, e.g. McGard, Gorilla, Moteki, might put out? Just like with the puzzle/key style wheel locks, I'm thinking there may not be that many unique patterns, but maybe just enough to swing the odds in your favor that a would-be thief won't have the correct driver. Put another way, is there a "universal" spline pattern that you can go to an auto store and pick up the driver adapter for?

TIA for any help.

Cheers!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i hope the ones you are looking at are called muteki and not moteki, otherwise it would probably be a knock off lug. I have been looking at lugs too, but you can try heeltoe or excelerate sites for some lugs that you might like also.Not too sure about spline drives but the sites i mentioned have some that come with the locking keys and all that. i wanted red lugs so my options are a little more limited.

hope it helps
Old 04-26-2011, 06:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Just from reading, I don't believe that they are all keyed differently as they are a spline drive so that the socket is of a smaller diameter and the nuts are easily accessible. You will still need a uniquely keyed lock to secure the wheels, and it seems as the only difference is size and number of splines depending on application, but for the most part a universal design. Even with the uniquely keyed locks, if the "pros" want your wheels they'll be gone, but make it difficult as possible.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:16 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Locking lugs, while they can be a deterrent to some, are greatly a waste of time. Lose the key to it and find out just how much of a waste they are by going to Discount Tire and it takes them about two minutes to get them off at their leisure.

So far as spline drive lugs....I can tell you 100% that the gorilla brand is all the same....had several sets when I had my TL and every single new set I ordered came with a new key....I could always use ANY of the old keys as well as they are all the same. Its just spline drive...no big deal.

But even the locking lugs you mention with unique "keys" can be removed with a simple tool in about two minutes.

Deterrence is the best bet. If you are THAT worried about it stick locking lugs on EVERY lug. Thats too much work for em....they would just move on to an easier target. (read that you just increased their time on this ten fold by having so many...but also your own when you need to get the wheel off as well) But being that your car is likely fully covered insurance wise.....I wouldnt bother.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Thanks for the replies. That's the answer I was looking for that the spline drives are uniform, at least to the manufacturer. Makes sense, as it'd be cost-prohibitive to have too many patterns considering all the possible lug types, dimensions, etc. I do believe in a modicum of deterrence, so will likely just get a 4-lug set of locks. My wheels are less than $200/rim and there should be plenty of cars around me that are more worthwhile targets.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,967 Likes on 14,485 Posts
I am rocking the gorilla locks...it's a tight fit in where the lock goes so you wouldn't be able to use a gator socket or a universal type of deal.
I know there is no such thing as fool proof...I park in a garage at night, and behind a gate at work. If I get a weird feeling anywhere I park, I move it somewhere else.

That said, if my works got stolen, I'm pretty sure I paid less than insurance would likely pay me for a set of stock wheels for the car anyway. So I leave it at that.

Also, if you wanted to get really crazy you would get 2 different set of spline locks that look alike and mix it up. Only thing is it would probably annoy you when you have to rotate tires.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:39 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I am rocking the gorilla locks...it's a tight fit in where the lock goes so you wouldn't be able to use a gator socket or a universal type of deal.
I know there is no such thing as fool proof...I park in a garage at night, and behind a gate at work. If I get a weird feeling anywhere I park, I move it somewhere else.

That said, if my works got stolen, I'm pretty sure I paid less than insurance would likely pay me for a set of stock wheels for the car anyway. So I leave it at that.

Also, if you wanted to get really crazy you would get 2 different set of spline locks that look alike and mix it up. Only thing is it would probably annoy you when you have to rotate tires.
Oh you would be suprised just how cheap they can get that OEM stock wheel delivered to any bodyshop. If you dealing with a large national insurance company like State Farm anyway....they literally have deals with damn near everybody and if need be...will ship parts in for repairs from their own source to your shop. Have had it happen. They are fairly keen at flexing their annual purchasing size muscle with specific parts sources...often times so much that they can ship it in cheaper than a shop can source it locally...depending on the car of course. I had this happen on a Lexus.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:45 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Simply put folks....if theives want your wheels...they will take them. The best bet is to limit their opportunity and/or deterr their efforts by making the whole scenario too time consuming vs the risk involved in getting caught.

So....you take all those precautions and are all set, right? Nope...if they are THAT cool and THAT in demand and they can move them fast for a huge price....they will just steal your whole car and deal with that later. Wheel locks are NOT an issue to get off given the right tools and time, even if you have one on each lug! (think the aforementioned though....time is money...and if there is a better target, they will chose that one)

So in the end...all you really can do is take precautions and do your best. If you have issues from there....thats what you have insurance for guys.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,967 Likes on 14,485 Posts
^^^very well put.