So I thought I just wanted to get my wheels balanced and.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 01:10 AM
Unregistered User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So I thought I just wanted to get my wheels balanced and.....

.....I then got to see a lot more than I expected. I bought my 06 with around 43,200 miles and now am at around 47,720. Passenger rear tire is showing hefty signs of camber wear (tire measurements 3/32, 5/32, 4/32). The inside is balding already. So, good thing I ordered the Ingalls kits when I did. I really need to get off my ass and install them before I have to waste money on replacing a stock tire (trying to hold out for 19's! ).

Also at 47,720, the rear tires are cupping noticeably from the shocks needing to be replaced. I thought 50k was the maintenance marker for that but apparently either factory shocks suck or the 1st owner was rough. On top of that, I've been driving back and forth through New Orleans, pothole and worst streets capital of the world. The front shocks aren't far; the front tires are showing minimal cupping....well, not so much showing but you can feel it if you know what you're feeling for.

Planning to go with Tein SS when I stack up again. I almost bought them until someone on here talked me out of maintenance swapping at 50K for shocks. Now I spent even more than the Teins were on random mini-mods. Thanks, whoever you were.

Is there any very cheap shocks anyone would recommend using for like 10K miles just to get me by until I'm ready to drop near 1100 on Teins? I'm installing them myself so labor is not a concern. I just don't think there is a shock out there that is cheap enough just to keep for a short time.....?
Old 04-04-2009, 03:37 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tokiko or koni. but they are about 600
Old 04-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Have you had an alignment done? 50K is nothing for suspension components, and incorrect toe will cup and grind the tread off quickly.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:08 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Pm excelerate about a "temporary" setup...

Ps. Doing suspension twice
Old 04-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
Have you had an alignment done? 50K is nothing for suspension components, and incorrect toe will cup and grind the tread off quickly.
Agreed .. I had inner wear and cupping on my right rear after a 1" drop because the camber was way out of spec effecting the toe. Had only 25K miles. Nothing wrong with my shocks. Camber kit and good alignment cured it.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Unregistered User

Well I have camber wear and toe is a bit out too, but it's not toe wear. It's just very slight cupping - high spots, low spots, high spots, low spots. Toe wear will give you similar damage, but more at a diagonal shape, which mine is not.

I don't know if the car's ever been aligned but I put it up to see the specs and although toe is a bit out, rear camber is killing my passenger rear tire. I'm just pissed that there's no factory adjustment, like a lot of other cars, for a tire wearing angle. If I fix toe now, without adjusting camber, it will through the camber further out. This is all without any drop at all. Completely stock set up with stock rims/tires.

Thanks for the input on the shocks but I guess I just have to buy the coilovers if a temporary set up is close to $600.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rob RiL
I don't know if the car's ever been aligned but I put it up to see the specs and although toe is a bit out, rear camber is killing my passenger rear tire. I'm just pissed that there's no factory adjustment, like a lot of other cars, for a tire wearing angle. If I fix toe now, without adjusting camber, it will throw the camber further out. This is all without any drop at all. Completely stock set up with stock rims/tires.

Thanks for the input on the shocks but I guess I just have to buy the coilovers if a temporary set up is close to $600.
As it won't correct the problem, why purchase coilovers if camber is way out on a stock suspension? I certainly would find out what has failed, or is the reason for the incorrect camber before adding/changing components.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
on a stock suspension, u cannot adjust camber... U can only adjust toe/caster..

Has your car ever been in an accident before by any chance???
Old 04-06-2009, 01:24 AM
Unregistered User

Originally Posted by Turbonut
As it won't correct the problem, why purchase coilovers if camber is way out on a stock suspension? I certainly would find out what has failed, or is the reason for the incorrect camber before adding/changing components.
Originally Posted by ILLustriousUA6
on a stock suspension, u cannot adjust camber... U can only adjust toe/caster..

Has your car ever been in an accident before by any chance???

Camber goes out on cars without adjustable camber points; I see it all of the time. Mine isn't out insanely enough to justify blaming it on bent components, although that is something to consider when checking alignment possibilities. Everything looks in tact with my components but since looks are deceiving when it comes to this stuff, you basically add the extra parts to adjust the factory non-adjustable points. Then if you still can't get it in the green, you deduce that something is bent. My car has been in a slight rear collision from what I know. Air bags didn't deploy, which I guess they shouldn't from a rear collision. I don't know much more about the wreck. I wonder if the dealer would cover anything??? When I talked to an Acura adviser, he said the only way they can adjust camber is by altering the subframe......which is way too much work since there are aftermarket camber kits.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Camber goes out on cars without adjustable camber points; I see it all of the time. Mine isn't out insanely enough to justify blaming it on bent components, although that is something to consider when checking alignment possibilities. Everything looks in tact with my components but since looks are deceiving when it comes to this stuff, you basically add the extra parts to adjust the factory non-adjustable points. Then if you still can't get it in the green, you deduce that something is bent. My car has been in a slight rear collision from what I know. Air bags didn't deploy, which I guess they shouldn't from a rear collision. I don't know much more about the wreck. I wonder if the dealer would cover anything??? When I talked to an Acura adviser, he said the only way they can adjust camber is by altering the subframe......which is way too much work since there are aftermarket camber kits.

What I was referring to was the fact that coilovers were going to be purchased, but nothing was stated about the camber kit. Been around cars along time and if the camber is way out, especially on one wheel, there is something wrong and a reason for the out of spec condition, as you have discovered, accident. Similar to cars without a front tower brace, over the years as the towers bend inwards from age and mileage, you'll find the camber is out and can’t be adjusted. Need special bolts to adjust, or jack up under the frame and install an adjustable brace.

Having said that, yes, when all else fails, just try and compensate with the aftermarket adjustable equipment.

Good luck
Old 04-06-2009, 08:17 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
here are my thoughts:

1)Investigate what is bent on your rear suspension is anything

2)if you cant figure what is bent, grab a camber kit to correct it.

3)i would make the dealer replace my shocks if they were going bad and if i was still within my warrantly period.

4)why buy temporary shocks if you dont have to?? do it once and be done with it....installing the suspension more than once is defintely

my $.02
Old 04-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Unregistered User

I doubt there are bent parts. I should probably take a 2nd look to reconfirm but everything looked in tact. Two alignment mechanics also said it just needs a camber kit to correct the problem. Maybe I overstated the camber wear. It's not good but it's not horrible. I'll see what happens when I put the camber kit on. Since the weakest parts (imo) are those rod/trailing arms, if they were slightly bent and unnoticeable to the eye, the problem would be fixed with the replacement kit.

I'm installing the kits Wednesday and aligning Thursday or maybe Friday. I'll post the results when I have them.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Unregistered User

Zero bent parts. If there is something bent, only a frame shop would be able to find it because I scrutinizingly inspected every rod and frame piece I could find. The toe and camber are set now and I've gained almost 4 mpg from not dragging the rear tire the way toe was out.