Scratched rim

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 08:28 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratched rim

Hello guys, I recently curbed a rim while parallel parking. I was really mad because I've been so careful. In any event, I was wondering if anyone knew if Acura sold touch up paint for the rims.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Moving to Tires, Wheels, and Suspensions section.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:29 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You'll not get much attention now that they've moved you to this sub-forum.

Had the same problem. The color you are looking for is SSM. They sell it at the dealership in the cute little bottles.

There is a paint code - but you'll have to search for that...
Old 10-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by TLspeed
This is the situation we are trying to correct by moving these to the appropriate forum. It is the forum administrator's desire that our members get familiar with all the sub-forums, and use them as they would the main forum.

By putting specific subject matter in specific forums, it facilitates the search for information. The person with the scratched rim who wants to find other postings can look in one concentrated forum rather than trying to look through the entire 3G main forum.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TLspeed

Had the same problem. The color you are looking for is SSM. They sell it at the dealership in the cute little bottles.

There is a paint code - but you'll have to search for that...
Thanks man, have you tried it yourself? Just wanted to know how good the colour match is. SSM is the satin silver metallic they use on the car itself too isn't it?
Old 10-13-2004, 08:48 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, the paint code is the same as the SSM body color. The paint does match the rims. I was initially surprised that it was the same color code, but any doubts went away after I used the touch-up paint. Good match. I've also used a tiny bit of the paint to mask a couple of small scratches on my doors (We've got a SSM 6MT TL).

BTW - the code is NH-623M
Old 10-13-2004, 10:34 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Once you get the paint try this procedure shown here:

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=30

I'm going to try it myself. I just wasn't sure of the paint color - until now!!
Old 10-27-2004, 11:40 PM
Comptech Freak

it's just a rim, so forget it~

unless it's pretty serious or you can take it to polish for about 100 dollars~

but u r having a 17" and will likely to curb a lot anyways
Old 03-23-2005, 09:44 AM
Once more into the breach

Originally Posted by samkws
it's just a rim, so forget it~

unless it's pretty serious or you can take it to polish for about 100 dollars~

but u r having a 17" and will likely to curb a lot anyways
Forget nothing.....I have a scratch as well, it SUCKS.......and if youre going to do it alot, all the more reason to find an affordable solution. Hope it works...Im picking up a bottle of SSM myself.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:52 AM
Instructor

I agree. I have a thread on going to a larger tire for the stock 17's. However, I don't want to spend 100 buck every time I scratch a rim. An affordable solution is good for me!!! Does the paint fill in the grooves as well? To give it a smooth finish?
Old 03-23-2005, 10:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob04tl
I agree. I have a thread on going to a larger tire for the stock 17's. However, I don't want to spend 100 buck every time I scratch a rim. An affordable solution is good for me!!! Does the paint fill in the grooves as well? To give it a smooth finish?

No, you could apply bondo to fill in the gaps... touch up paint is for surface scratches, not scrapes.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:49 PM
10th Gear

My dealership recommended Carcone's, in Markham. I've been told to expect $100 a wheel (that's what they charge the dealership). They're an autowrecker (don't be alarmed) but they also specialize in fixing rims. A body shop I trust also sends they're wheels there.

I have 2 waiting to go but because they only do rim fixes, I have to get the wheels off and to them myself. I'm going to buy a second spare tire so that the car isn't on blocks in my garage.

Originally Posted by TorontoTL
Hello guys, I recently curbed a rim while parallel parking. I was really mad because I've been so careful. In any event, I was wondering if anyone knew if Acura sold touch up paint for the rims.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Instructor

I just tried this today after I curbed my 4th wheel. I sanded the area down and applied the SSM touch up paint. Unfortunately it looks off color, but it looks better than it did before I painted it.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Moosh
I just tried this today after I curbed my 4th wheel. I sanded the area down and applied the SSM touch up paint. Unfortunately it looks off color, but it looks better than it did before I painted it.

Can you post a picture or two so we can see how far off the color is? I like the solution (from a cost perspective), but if it looks noticable, maybe it is worth getting them fixed/replaced.

P.S. Anybody try to contact Enkei to find out if they sell touchup paint for these rims? The sanding process seems to work, so if we can get the correct paint, that may be the best of both worlds!!!
Old 05-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Instructor

Yeah I'll try to get one tomorrow
Old 05-15-2005, 05:48 PM
Instructor

In this picture it actually looks pretty good but in real life it looks worse.

Overall it looks better than curb marks! Your mileage may vary.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Instructor

Yeah, you are right, it looks pretty good, but does not match exactly.

Did you sand and bondo it, or just sand it? Also, I am pretty anal about my car, but your two marks do not look to be to terrible. My wife curbed mine, and my mark is the length of the opening between spokes. The bigger the mark, the more noticable the paint mismatch will look? Thoughts? Pics?
Old 05-15-2005, 10:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob04tl
Yeah, you are right, it looks pretty good, but does not match exactly.

Did you sand and bondo it, or just sand it? Also, I am pretty anal about my car, but your two marks do not look to be to terrible. My wife curbed mine, and my mark is the length of the opening between spokes. The bigger the mark, the more noticable the paint mismatch will look? Thoughts? Pics?
I just sanded it, did not bondo it. I don't really want to invest all that time to bondo it. If I were to go that far, I would take the wheel off, sand it, bondo it, sand it, paint it, wetsand it, paint it, wetsand it, until perfect.

You are definitely right, the bigger the mark, the more noticable the paint mismatch will look.

I have some bad back paint at the moment, but in a few months when I am better I will sand it and bondo it and see how it turns out. I gained some good experence just by sanding it today and touching it up. One thing to note, when you have a scratch, the touch up paint matches better because you aren't putting a lot of coats. When its a deep chip caused by a curb, then it will match less well. So bottom line is, the worse the damage, the worse it will look. But even at its worst, it still looks good enough.