Rough ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Rough ride

Hello,

My tl type s runs really rough and I am wondering if this is a tire issue or an issue with the TLS' in general. My whole family has a base TL ('05, '06 models) and they run a LITTLE smoother although not totally smooth as say a Lexus. I'm just wondering if this is normal to to have a ride this rough and feel every little bump in the road or if there is something I can do to make it a more pleasurable ride. I mean there are some times where my girlfriend literally gets a whip lash!!!

I am asking around and telling my story with my car and everyone says that Acura's ride like shit and this is nothign new.

Any advice would be great, looking forward to responses.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by WHS_DarthVADERTL
I am asking around and telling my story with my car and everyone says that Acura's ride like shit and this is nothign new.
You may want to ask people who have experience driving sports cars. The TL-S comes with a tuned suspension (firmed up) for better handling. As far as how rough yours is, I cannot speculate, your description was extremely vague. As for an Acura riding, "like shit", I have to defend our cars and say that these people are complete idiots.

Since the TL-S has the better suspension, this would explain why your family's base TL's run "smoother". If you want a smoother ride, swap suspensions with one of the base TL's or do your research on an aftermarket suspension.

Note: the TL-S suspension is lower than the Base TL, and the A-spec suspension is lower than the TL-S.

Last edited by Guiltyox; 12-30-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:24 AM
2007 Acura TL

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My 2007 TL rides smooth.
I did test drive one that did not ride smooth but came to find out it had 3 different brand of tires and had a ticking noise in the engine (might have been a bad valve).
Old 12-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Only took a couple of months before you reversed your opinion of the TLS.
All the TL and TLS equipped with most aftermarket tires present an extremely stiff or harsh ride. This is why many have gone to the DWS with the soft sidewalls to soften up the ride. I don't mind the ride at all, but it's far from what one might expect from an Acura. Put the OE tires back on or purchase the DWS.

What tires, make and size do you have and what air pressure?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Turbonut
All the TL and TLS equipped with most aftermarket tires present an extremely stiff or harsh ride. This is why many have gone to the DWS with the soft sidewalls to soften up the ride. I don't mind the ride at all, but it's far from what one might expect from an Acura. Put the OE tires back on or purchase the DWS.

Exactly Turbo, when one buys a 38k car you would expect the ride to be better than a Kia. Everything on the car is stock, bought it from another dealer about 2 yrs ago and they put brand new tires on. They are Nexen 235/45zr17 94W. I don't know what that all means but that's what's on the tire. How are Nexen tires? Are they crap? I'm going to buy some DWS tires as I hear they make the ride soooo much better.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Well Nexen are definitely budget friendly tires so that may be part of your problem there.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by WHS_DarthVADERTL
Exactly Turbo, when one buys a 38k car you would expect the ride to be better than a Kia. Everything on the car is stock, bought it from another dealer about 2 yrs ago and they put brand new tires on. They are Nexen 235/45zr17 94W. I don't know what that all means but that's what's on the tire. How are Nexen tires? Are they crap? I'm going to buy some DWS tires as I hear they make the ride soooo much better.

Nexen's aren't bad tires, not as soft though. 235 refers to the width of the tire (235mm) where as the 45 refers to the height of the sidewall of the tire, 45% of the tires' width. Z is a speed rating dependent on the size of the rim, garaunteed to NOT blowout until a certain speed (I think our tires are like 170mph'ish?), and the 17 is the size of the rim, in inches. 94W refers to the service description which references the load it can take and its speed rating (no worries, our tires are WELL within the boundaries).

I had Nexen's for a bit, on my first TL though my favorite set so far that I've purchased are the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's. If only I didnt sell my first TL with those still on em, .
Old 12-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Coming from a 2006 TL to my 2007 Type S I noticed a big difference. The ride in the Type S is noticeably stiffer/firmer and can be borderline harsh on rough roads. I prefer the stiffer ride and I feel the Type S handles very well for a 4 door sedan.

As others have said.... if you find it too harsh you may want to look into swapping out some suspension components to soften up the car a bit, this will result in the car not handling quite as well.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Buy OEM 07-08 Base TL coilovers from Acura, or look at the Black market from somebody selling the 07-08 Base TL coilovers, also put on the Black market the you "WTB" want to but their used Base 07-08 coilovers, and also I suggest going to Tirerack.com and search for All-season tires, read the reviews on the smoothest riding tires, those 2 things should help you ALOT with a smoother ride In 2007 when the third gen Type-S came out, they made the Type-S ride firmer, but they also softened up the Base 07-08 TL. So the softest riding 3rd gen TL is the Base 07-08, firmer then a Base 04-06 TL.

GOD BLESS ALL

Last edited by JD TL-S; 12-31-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:46 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut

What are The DWS ? My O7 TL Type S is seriously harsh ? My boyfriend & son think I’m crazy and keep saying I don’t appreciate this TL model 😂🤦🏼‍♀️
Old 04-01-2022, 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,590 Likes on 6,635 Posts
Originally Posted by JCash23
What are The DWS ? My O7 TL Type S is seriously harsh ? My boyfriend & son think I’m crazy and keep saying I don’t appreciate this TL model 😂🤦🏼‍♀️
https://www.google.com/search?client...d&q=dws+tires+
Old 04-01-2022, 12:54 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Silly girl you bumped a 10 year old thread