Rimlox

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 10:09 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
Rimlox

This story begins in the Chicago ghetto where gunshots and police sirens are just part of the background noise... Just kidding, on the northwest side really close to a police station which is why I didn't have wheel locks. My Type-S waffles were stolen from right in front of my house. Full story in this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/%24500-lesson-wheel-locks-895107/

So I had to do something right? Being a victim of this, I was overly paranoid and to make matters worse, I was leaving for a business trip for 2 months to Malaysia, so any alarm upgrades just won't do. I started researching different types of wheel locks and just about everything i found seemed insufficient. The Acura locks have only 8 different patters. Aftermarket locks have keys that are easily accessible. An interesting strategy was to use 5 different types lol. But I don't want to deal with all those keys.

I found this: http://rimloxinc.com/

Seems legit! They'll buy me new wheels, tires, TPMS, etc if they get stolen? I'm on board with this, so I pulled the trigger. After all, the cost of these locks, $400 is still less than my insurance deductible. Wish I had been proactive and found them sooner.

Here is what you get in the box:

Here is the installation key. This gets shipped either back to Rimlox or stays with your local installer. If they don't have it, then the guarantee is void.

Here is what the pattern looks like.

This is what the actual lock looks like.

It's concave like the OEM lugs.

Here is the key you get to keep. You need both pieces to unlock the wheel. They separated it this way so that you can put the smaller one and take it with you. That way, if someone breaks in and finds one of the keys, they still can't get your wheels off. The small one on the bottom of this pic lives in the little black box with the keyring on it.

Keep this in your car (or garage if you did the spare tire delete like me).

Here is how they fit together.

Here is what it looks like installed.

So. How are they so confident that nobody will be able to jack your stuff? Well, the locks are shallow and wide enough that it's impossible to get anything around them, like a 12pt socket. If something fits around the lock, it won't fit in the wheel's lug hole. If something fits inside the lug hole, it won't fit around the lock. They have some other claims on their website about professional tire shops not being able to get these off. Every set they make is unique, so it's literally impossible for anyone else to have the key.

As far as security is concerned, I'm confident that nobody is stealing my wheels again unless they drill these out. (That voids the guarantee too). My only complaint is that I wish the key fit more snugly in the lock. Every time I torque these down, I'm extremely paranoid about it slipping just a little bit and damaging the lock.

Aside from the fitment of the lock, I think this is an outstanding product. If you don't have wheel locks on your car yet, get some! Even if you don't get these, you still lower your chances of being a victim. Keep in mind that the Acura ones only come in 8 different patterns, so for the cost of one (or two) of your wheels, all 8 keys can be had. Also keep in mind that tuner shops and the internets sell any other keys that you might use. Adding a tilt/shock sensor with a basic set of locks is probably enough, but I haven't had the time nor the temperature for the past 6 months to install those sensors, so this will have to do. Still planning on adding the sensors eventually, but my wheels are safe.

If anyone else has these, I'd love to hear your opinions!

Cheers all.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Thats one expensive nut
Old 03-25-2014, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts
So.... If you need both pieces to remove the lock, and you ship one of them back to rimlox and/or leave it with your installer, what happens when you get a flat tire and you need to change the wheel? Or when you need to do your brakes?
Old 03-25-2014, 11:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
OP I hate thieves too but bottom line is if they REALLY want them they will take it. Knock on wood and hope you don't have to go through that again.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 597 Likes on 410 Posts
Originally Posted by bp_spets
So.... If you need both pieces to remove the lock, and you ship one of them back to rimlox and/or leave it with your installer, what happens when you get a flat tire and you need to change the wheel? Or when you need to do your brakes?
+1

Or rotate your tires?

If I had ~$4-5k wheels maybe...but $1-2k wheels, just get regular wheel locks. That'll stop the petty thief. If a professional wants them, chances are he has the keys already or the know how skill. Or worse...they'll just take the whole car.

Last edited by FamilyGuy; 03-25-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:53 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Now that's a way to stop a theif. But pretty expensive.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:11 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Originally Posted by FamilyGuy
+1

Or rotate your tires?

If I had ~$4-5k wheels maybe...but $1-2k wheels, just get regular wheel locks. That'll stop the petty thief. If a professional wants them, chances are he has the keys already or the know how skill. Or worse...they'll just take the whole car.

From my understanding, you get TWO keys. one goes to your local dealer so they can work on your car when you bring it in(this key isn't sealed). second one is for you, but it comes in two pieces. The pieces are wrapped and sealed so you have to break the seal to use it. Leave the big one in the car, and have the little piece with you when you leave the car. So when a thief breaks into your car, having half a key wont do anything.
If you want to work on your car at home, you can use your key(2 pieces), but you will have to break the security seal. However, you can send it back to rimlox to re-seal.

OP, am I getting this correct?

Also, is it just me or do the lug nuts look like they are tapered(aftermarket rim style) instead of acorn like oem?

Last edited by paperboy42190; 03-26-2014 at 04:13 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:11 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
It does sound like it makes the wheels theft proof, but it also seems like a big PIA to have to return the key after use to be resealed, plus the risk of a flat while the key is being resealed. I agree that I wouldn't use the system unless I had insanely expensive wheels. I just wonder if a thief will get pissed off if he sees this, then does other damage to the car in retaliation. They're all scumbags no doubt, but I wonder about stuff like this.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Not to be negative, but personally I don't like the one open hole look as it appears like a lug nut is missing as only 4 caps are seen.
Hopefully they'll be the deterrent that you need.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:20 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Damn, Vlad, I remember your thread from back then.

I hope these prevent any future thefts for you.

I do recommend the tilt sensor though. J and I installed them on our cars and when we tested them, we couldn't even get the tire off the ground before the alarm started blaring.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:51 AM
Registered Bike Offender

Originally Posted by pohljm
Thats one expensive nut
Yeah it is, but there's a strange comfort knowing that nobody on Earth has the same lock.

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
From my understanding, you get TWO keys. one goes to your local dealer so they can work on your car when you bring it in(this key isn't sealed). second one is for you, but it comes in two pieces. The pieces are wrapped and sealed so you have to break the seal to use it. Leave the big one in the car, and have the little piece with you when you leave the car. So when a thief breaks into your car, having half a key wont do anything.
If you want to work on your car at home, you can use your key(2 pieces), but you will have to break the security seal. However, you can send it back to rimlox to re-seal.

OP, am I getting this correct?

Also, is it just me or do the lug nuts look like they are tapered(aftermarket rim style) instead of acorn like oem?
Yes this is absolutely correct. If you have a local installer, you don't have to send the key back to Rimlox to seal, you can just bring it to your local installer.

And yes, they are conical/tapered. But they match the OEM taper. I should have taken a pic for comparison. Oh well.

Originally Posted by Undying Dreams
Damn, Vlad, I remember your thread from back then.

I hope these prevent any future thefts for you.

I do recommend the tilt sensor though. J and I installed them on our cars and when we tested them, we couldn't even get the tire off the ground before the alarm started blaring.
Thanks for the luv brah. Yeah I'll definitely be adding tilt and shock sensors this summer.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Registered Bike Offender

I basically just wanted to share this with you guys so that you knew what it was. I figured that nobody would be springing for $400 wheel locks lol. But they're pretty cool from an engineering standpoint. Most of ya'll with really expensive rims are lowered crazy so it would be difficult to steal your stuff anyway.

Also, just going to link to guitarplayer16's thread about adding sensors since it is relevant.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/%5Bdiy%5D-add-some-security-shock-sensors-factory-alarm-855658/
Old 03-27-2014, 06:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Can you fit an Acura locking nut over that locking nut?

Id be annoyed by what looked like a missing lug nut everytime i walked up to my car. The locks acura provides are already shorter than the rest of the lugs so throwing Acuras lock over that may look decent.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:49 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Haha it doesn't really bother me. I like it when I show people the locks and they're like "WTF is that creation?". The lock is designed to be flush with the stud so you can't get anything else on there. None of the threads of the stud are exposed. Though I totally know where you're coming from. I have OCD sometimes too.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
So did you have to tell Rimlox what wheels you have so they know the cost before anything happens? Can you change your wheels or will they only replace the original set up?
Old 03-28-2014, 12:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Dont my HHR wheels look bad ass! No, I am not missing a lug nut! really its supposed to look like that! screw that crap! thats what insurance is for.

Last edited by pohljm; 03-28-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:30 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Such a positive outlook on things

Insurance can be a huge PITA and they love to take their time doing things.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:05 PM
Registered Bike Offender

I haven't had to tell Rimlox anything about the cost of my wheels/tires. They're very confident in their product. Apparently not a single claim has ever been submitted.

Haha well if you live in a neighborhood where that isn't a problem, I agree. I had to deal with insurance and fight with the body shop. They tried putting knock-offs instead of OEM wheels. (Check out my other thread). The process took way too long. I would have much rather spent $400 for locks than a $500 deductible and have two groups molest my car: thieves, and a body shop whose employees barely speak English.

It's what Undying Dreams said. PITA and time. I was lucky enough to be out of the country while this was being done, but it took 5 weeks. Imagine that. 5 weeks to get wheels and repair the side skirts.

This problem is rampant in my area lately. I just wish I had noticed sooner rather than later. It makes a lot of sense for me to use these. Might not make a lot of sense for anyone else to. My intention isn't to convince everyone that this is for them, just to share the product with the community.
The following users liked this post:
Slpr04UA6 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 05:37 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 610 Likes on 514 Posts
^and Thank you For that (last sentence)!

I find it weird about the seal being broken (for the key), and the send it back ordeal. But hey, if it works it works!
Old 03-30-2014, 03:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
you know just looking at it I'm thinking I could get them off with a pointed punch and a hammer
Old 03-30-2014, 02:02 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
I just don't get it. So you install the locks and then send 1 of the 2 tools that can remove/install them back to Rimlox. The second tool you keep but it has a seal over it that voids the warranty if broken. So what happens when you need to rotate your tires? Have to put the spare on? Need new tires? Have to have a flat fixed? You have to have Rimlox mail you the key back or else void the warranty by breaking the seal on your own personal key?

I understand you can leave the key with "your installer", whom I assume is somebody that is signed up with Rimlox. What if they lose your key? What if they go out of business overnight? What if you need to put your spare on? What if you need a flat fixed on a Sunday and they are closed? What if you just plain don't like their service?

This all for the low price of $400? I think 99.9% of people would agree they'll take the chance on possibly spending an extra $100 over that to pay out their deductible and not have to deal with the hassle.

BTW, their YouTube video is stupid. It proves nothing. Neither shop even remotely tried to get those locks off. The professionalism of the shops is also pretty questionable. The tech at the first shop is smoking a cigarette while he's talking with a supposed customer. I would be willing to bet if you brought those to my shop I could remove them.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:33 PM
3 2 GONE

Received 237 Likes on 193 Posts
^ The key that you get to keep is a two part system. You don't actually need the red and blue key to take the nut off.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:47 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ATLS_666
^ The key that you get to keep is a two part system. You don't actually need the red and blue key to take the nut off.
I understand how the system works. The problem is that any time you need to use your own personal key, it has to be sent back to Rimlox for them to reactivate your replacement guarantee. What a pain in the ass. Again, we are talking about a system that costs just $100 less than most peoples' insurance deductible. How many times of shipping your key to and from Rimlox to have the guarantee renewed does it take before you are actually more invested in this product than you would have just paid for your deductible?
Old 03-30-2014, 03:00 PM
3 2 GONE

Received 237 Likes on 193 Posts
I agree, I don't get the reseal part of the deal.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ATLS_666
I agree, I don't get the reseal part of the deal.
It's how they can guarantee their product. I understand the process from their end of the deal. You purchase and install their product. A month later your wheels/tires get stolen. They want to have proof that the wheels and tires were not stolen using your key. It's really to protect them from getting scammed. I get that part.

What I don't understand is where is the value to the consumer? Once you've purchased these locks, you've already forked over 80% of what your deductible would have covered anyway. That money is gone. With your insurance, you are taking a chance that you MIGHT have to spend $500. With Rimlox, you've already spent your money and you've added a massive inconvenience to any service that requires removing the wheels from your car...and wheels need to be removed quite often for various services.

I would assume the shop that signs up with Rimlox is probably not a very large operation. No big name automotive shop is going to put their name on this and be responsible for keeping track of a key to a $400 wheel lock set as well taking part of the responsibility of a guarantee that would potentially replace thousands of dollars worth of wheels and tires. So is this little rinky-dink shop going to be able to take care of all of your automotive needs? Tire rotations free of charge like most other larger operations do? Flat repairs? Brake jobs? Any job that requires removing a wheel from the car? If so, do their prices and service compare to the other guys?

Again, it just seems like such a massive inconvenience. After installing Rimlox, you are basically either tied down to using ONE automotive service shop and/or having to pay to have your key shipped to and from Rimlox for renewing your guarantee. Too much hassle. Get a set of OEM wheel locks. They are much harder to remove than the Gorilla type locks that can be gripped more easily by various tools. They are not a 100% guarantee but are not anywhere near the price of these. Add that to a good full coverage insurance policy with a $500 deductible and you're in far better shape than this. Plus, what if the thieves steal your wheels and leave your car sitting on its side skirts on cinder blocks? Is Rimlox going to pay for the damage to the car itself? You insurance would cover any repairs to the car plus replace the wheels and tires all for the price of your deductible.

Last edited by BDoggPrelude; 03-30-2014 at 03:28 PM.