Replacement tires - RE950s?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 07:22 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Replacement tires - RE950s?

I know the subject of the awful EL42s has been covered at great length but here goes again:

I've been considering calling Bridgestone to get the tires replaced. My car has 3300 miles on it and I've not had all of the problems others have seen but I feel the tires could be better, especially in the rain. I got the car in April so I haven't driven it in snow. Has anyone been successful in getting replacement non-Bridgestones or are we stuck with them?

The real question is, if we have to go with Bridgestones has anyone tried the Potenza RE950s? I've read some good review on them. I want to stay with all-seasons on these wheel and probably get 18s with HP tires for summer.

For those that replaced the tires have you paid the difference in price and how was the exchange done, at a local Bridgestone dealer? Can I go up in size to 245s or do they force you to replace them in kind? I'd like to go wider since my wife scuffed a wheel last week.

Any info is appreciated before I call Bridgestone. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

PS - My car was built in March, I think. Does anyone know how that will affect things?
Thanks,
Old 08-04-2004, 07:58 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by SpecialFX
I know the subject of the awful EL42s has been covered at great length but here goes again:

I've been considering calling Bridgestone to get the tires replaced. My car has 3300 miles on it and I've not had all of the problems others have seen but I feel the tires could be better, especially in the rain. I got the car in April so I haven't driven it in snow. Has anyone been successful in getting replacement non-Bridgestones or are we stuck with them?

The real question is, if we have to go with Bridgestones has anyone tried the Potenza RE950s? I've read some good review on them. I want to stay with all-seasons on these wheel and probably get 18s with HP tires for summer.

For those that replaced the tires have you paid the difference in price and how was the exchange done, at a local Bridgestone dealer? Can I go up in size to 245s or do they force you to replace them in kind? I'd like to go wider since my wife scuffed a wheel last week.

Any info is appreciated before I call Bridgestone. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

PS - My car was built in March, I think. Does anyone know how that will affect things?
Thanks,
Why would anyone want to replace the Bullshitstones with other Bullshitstones considering their prices?

There's much better and economical choices out there like the Falken 512's. Even the Michelin Pilots are cheaper than Bullshitstones.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:54 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Still nothing? Does anyone else have anything helpful to say on the subject? I read one good review on th 950s but would like some real world input. If all I can get is another set of Bridgestones out of them I want to be able to choose. Thanks
Old 08-13-2004, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
Why would anyone want to replace the Bullshitstones with other Bullshitstones considering their prices?
The Potenza family, especially the S-02/S-03 flavors are excellent performance tires. Ferrari agrees as well considering the S-02 is the standard rubber for the Modena. I had RE-950s on my '99 TL and have used S-02s and S-03s on my S2000. I plan to replace my stockers with S-03s probably sooner than later.

rw
Old 08-22-2004, 11:46 PM
Intermediate

I have the potenzas. They are okay, but in rain, very scary.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by T-Mobile
Not the S-03s - they are fine in the rain.

rw
Old 08-23-2004, 05:46 PM
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mobile
You have the RE950's??? I have them on my '00 Maxima and they're the best rain tire I've ever owned. I have around 25K miles on them and still haven't come close to hydroplaning and they corner better in the rain than the OEM tires did in dry conditions. The only real negative is that they kinda suck in the snow. I probably have a good 10K left in them which, all in all, isn't too bad. I'd definitely consider them again.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:10 AM
Racer

DanL

Ellicott City, MD - used to drive through there on 109 from my home in Montgomery Village to Baltimore.

I'm wondering about the HPT's (are they BS RE750's) in the rain versus the tires that come with the 18" wheels (Yokohama ES 100's?) vs the RE950's.

Any experience with the others? Anyone else?

Thanks
Old 08-24-2004, 08:32 AM
Racer

So the OEM HPT's are BS 030's. The survey info on Tirerack doesn't look very good on the HPT's.

Guess the RE950's would be a choice, but Falken's a better value.

Anyone with experience with 030's in the wet and the treadlife (can't possibly be very good)?
Old 08-24-2004, 09:08 AM
Hi Ho Silver

New Replacement Tires ( From Dealer for Free )

So one week went buy and I started to notice that My TL started to pull to the left when I reached 55 to 65 MPH so I took it back and they told me that it needed to be alligned so I made an appointment to have this done and meanwhile I noticed that I felt a thumping sound in the morning ( Flat Spots ) when I drove the car so I complained about that and Now I'm getting brand new Michelines and a front end allignment PLUS now my headliner is drooping so now they have to fix that - plus the Tranny recall - Yes My TL was a early build ( SUCKS) but they are going to fix that with the Jet pump??? I guess or soemthing like that But if you don't make noise they don't listen I'm getting the tires for the Bubble no charge back or reembursment they said that because of all the crap I had to put up with that they will give me the tires for free. BullCrap I think everybody who has the flat spotting should automatically get new tires either from the dealer or the tire company. Well i talked enough - bottom line is I still love my TL and I will buy another one in the future again if it looks as good as this one.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by casey2529
So one week went buy and I started to notice that My TL started to pull to the left when I reached 55 to 65 MPH so I took it back and they told me that it needed to be alligned so I made an appointment to have this done and meanwhile I noticed that I felt a thumping sound in the morning ( Flat Spots ) when I drove the car so I complained about that and Now I'm getting brand new Michelines and a front end allignment PLUS now my headliner is drooping so now they have to fix that - plus the Tranny recall - Yes My TL was a early build ( SUCKS) but they are going to fix that with the Jet pump??? I guess or soemthing like that But if you don't make noise they don't listen I'm getting the tires for the Bubble no charge back or reembursment they said that because of all the crap I had to put up with that they will give me the tires for free. BullCrap I think everybody who has the flat spotting should automatically get new tires either from the dealer or the tire company. Well i talked enough - bottom line is I still love my TL and I will buy another one in the future again if it looks as good as this one.
when did you buy it and what's the build date of that TL ???
Old 08-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Hi Ho Silver

I bought my TL July 31st 04 it was the General Sales Managers car it was built 09/03.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:17 PM
Hi Ho Silver

Doesn't anybody CARE Oh well I'm happy !!!!!
Old 08-24-2004, 05:41 PM
Advanced

If interested anyone I have 4 excellent shape OEM size Falken 512's 1,000 miles on them with 3-4 weeks use. No surprises. Looking at $50 shipping and $200 for tires but will split shipping for these like new tires--so $225 for the set delivered to you or best offer. I sold my 04 TL for $$ reasons and will accept reasonable price and deliver to you. These are leading consumer mag excellent tire in last years test--quiet, economical and good wear with excellent wet traction with center pattern. I believe OEM is 235-45-17 TEMP A TRAC A 360 treadwear.regardless these are the same size as OEM

jcro3717@aol.com