Rear Caliper Decals to match Brembo fronts ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 05:39 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Rear Caliper Decals to match Brembo fronts ?

I painted the rear calipers black on my 6MT last weekend. I used the G2 gloss black paint and really like the results. What I would really like now is some caliper decals to match the "ACURA" logo like on the front Brembos. Problem is that the largest flat area on the rear calipers is about 1.25" long. That's very small.

I mocked up some logos in photoshop and printed them out and then just temporarily stuck them to the calipers. As a test they looked pretty good. The calipers "popped" out more in an not too overstated way. As plain black they disappear into the rear rims. The log changes that.

The problem is nobody seems to make straight, small, caliper logos. I found some places on line that will let you make custom size decals but all the fonts are nowhere close to the ones in the real Acura logo. It also seems too small for me to try and make a stencil. I also asked www.Xenonmods.com and they won't even respond to my email and they even took their existing Acura decals off their site.

Any ideas ? Anyone else interested in it ? Maybe someone on the board has expertise or equipment that could help us out.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
I am very interested in this. I was thinking about doing this too when I painted mine.

Let me know what you find out..
Old 04-06-2006, 06:02 PM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
There is someone on e-bay selling acura decals..... I cant find the listing that i am thinking about ( I saw it awhile ago.) but what about these?? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACURA...spagenameZWDVW
Old 04-06-2006, 06:18 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by jmbnova
There is someone on e-bay selling acura decals..... I cant find the listing that i am thinking about ( I saw it awhile ago.) but what about these?? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACURA...spagenameZWDVW
Thanks. I missed this one when searching. I'll try and send them the details of what I'm looking for and see what they say.

"trance" I'll post back here is anything good happens. It will be a few days at least. I'll tempt them with the idea of lots of TL owners....
Old 04-06-2006, 07:12 PM
How may I help you.....?

I would be in on this as well... Im looking to paint my rear calipers in the next few weeks...
Old 04-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
wow thats nice, let us know how they come out, I would imagine the decals have to be smaller for the rear brakes. I need to paint mine, I have some gloss engine paint, which worked fine for my last car, but it just doesnt hold up like the brembos........and if I have to repaint, I would need new decals everytime, I guess thats why its a good thing the seller on ebay sells them in packs.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:03 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

The initial response is that the eBay dealer thinks they can make the decals. I need to send them the final specs and they will respond with a quote.

Here is what I am thinking I want
  • Straight, not curved.
  • All upper case "ACURA" using the same font as the front calipers. Basically it is the plain Acura logo.
Here are some links to lame mock-ups just to get the point across
Those mock-ups are 1.5 inches long and you can see they start to curve up onto the strengthening ribs (thick spots) on the caliper. So I think the actual length I will order will be 1 and 3/8 inches long. That might curve up a bit but not too much.

I'll keep you all posted on the final price quote.
However I can't vouch for the vendor. They are complete strangers to me.

also
Originally Posted by Deadlock
wow thats nice, let us know how they come out, I would imagine the decals have to be smaller for the rear brakes. I need to paint mine, I have some gloss engine paint, which worked fine for my last car, but it just doesnt hold up like the brembos........and if I have to repaint, I would need new decals everytime, I guess thats why its a good thing the seller on ebay sells them in packs.
Everything I saw about the G2 paint said it will hold up forever so that's why I went with it. Since I am anal I removed the calipers and hung them in the wheel well. Removed the mounting brackets and pads and then bronze wire wheeled everything very clean. Then masked I sprayed the cleaner from the G2 kit as directed. I don't think that paint is going anywhere. The downsides are that the G2 takes a long time (24hrs) to dry enough to reassemble the calipers. Also, since it is so glossy all of the ripples in the caliper castings show. It was a lot of work compared to spraying but every square inch of the calipers is coated inside and out. From 5 feet it probably doesn't matter but I know.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:42 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Very cool.

I will do this just how you have it. About the logos, my buddy's dad runs a decal/sign shop and can make me the decals. He's told me in the past, just print me what you want and I'll get you that on vinyl.

Did you add a clear coat or just paint?
Old 04-07-2006, 03:53 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by PPLAPW
Very cool.

I will do this just how you have it. About the logos, my buddy's dad runs a decal/sign shop and can make me the decals. He's told me in the past, just print me what you want and I'll get you that on vinyl.

Did you add a clear coat or just paint?
No clear coat. Just the G2 paint. It is pretty glossy.

I PMed you about your buddy's dad.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:03 PM
How may I help you.....?

Count me in on this.. I think those look good against the black calipers.. which will be done soon..

Great find Adobeman... thank you for taking the lead on this!
Old 04-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Highly Interested on this simple mod... I also have the G2 at home ready to apply. Just not 100% confident is taking off the breaks to paint them... Funny thing is I can install my TEIN suspension but dont feel confident in taking off the breaks to paint.

Does anyone have detailed instructions on how to take them off ?
Old 04-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks really nice!

and how well will these decals hold up? after you get the permanent ones?
Old 04-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Intermediate

Reply from xenonmods.com when I sent them an email

Hi Net - I do have the acura caliper decals, just not shown.

Trademark issues ;-)

They are $7.99 per set. 6 Acura text, and 6 Acura logo.

My paypal address is rjcalnan@xenonmods.com

thanks!
rich
Old 04-07-2006, 07:04 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by netinfiniti
Hi Net - I do have the acura caliper decals, just not shown.

Trademark issues ;-)

They are $7.99 per set. 6 Acura text, and 6 Acura logo.

My paypal address is rjcalnan@xenonmods.com

thanks!
rich
Well, Rich didn't reply to me. The decals that he had pictured on his site were WAY TOO BIG for our rear calipers. I asked about smaller ones and never heard. Maybe he thought I was an Acura corp spy
At any rate if you have a dialog going with him then ask him about straight, white ones that are 1 and 3/8 in long (1.375").

There are a few leads going on this thread so we will have to zero in on one.

XenonMods - Let's see if they can do them small enough
uBer Decals - I just need to send him the specs and get his quote. I'll get to that tomorrow.
PPLAPW Bud's Dad - I think PPLAPW is hunting this down.

Fact is these things shouldn't cost that much so lets not sweat it too much but out of fairness to the vendors I don't want to lead them on.

Originally Posted by weekendz
Highly Interested on this simple mod... I also have the G2 at home ready to apply. Just not 100% confident is taking off the breaks to paint them... Funny thing is I can install my TEIN suspension but dont feel confident in taking off the breaks to paint.
Here is what I did:
  • Jack car by rear center jack point and put on jack stands. Chock front wheels
  • Remove wheels
  • Remove brake line hold-down bolt on axle. (14mm w/ 6" extension)
  • Remove caliper bolts and hang caliper by coat hanger to damper springs. (14mm socket and 17mm wrench)
  • Remove caliper mounting bracket. 17mm socket.
  • Remove pads. Take notes on how clips and pads are installed.
  • Remove disk (impact driver for set screws)
  • With brass/bronze wire brush on drill, clean the mounting bracket. Careful around slider boots.
  • Carefully wire brush calipers. I wore thick gloves and held them in the wheel well. Once hand on the drill the other hand holds the caliper. Be careful. Light pressure is all that is required. Stay away from piston.
  • Clean everything with the G2 supplied brake cleaner.
  • Put mounting brackets back on car (bolts hand tight). Leave pads off.
  • Put calipers back on but only use top caliper mounting bolt.
  • Use coat hanger through the lower hole of the caliper and adjust length so the caliper hangs level (like if you were changing pads). This gives you good access to the calliper and the bracket for painting.
  • Mask off all areas of e-brake shoes, slider boots, breeder nipple.
  • Paint. 2 coats minimum. Get some extra brushes at an art supply store. They help a lot. You will also need to get under the car a bit to see all areas to be painted.
  • Let dry 24 hrs. You are going going to need to paw them a bit to reassemble so they must be fully dry.
  • Hang caliper, remove mounting bracket. Reinstall disk and reassemble mounting bracket, clips, pads and caliper. Mounting bracket bolts @ 41ft/lbs. Caliper bolts @ 17ft/lbs
OK so that is the really, really anal way for sure but they look as close to "factory" as I'm ever going to get them.

Plan accordingly. I did:
-Prep work Friday night.
-Paint Satruday morning
-Reassembly Sunday afternoon.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:24 AM
Forced Induction

I admire your analness, lol, I used to be the same way, but I just dont have the time anymore.

I will just mask off everything as good a possible, use a plastic bad to cover the rotor, and spray away, this way it will look just as good from the outside, and will only take me about 20 minutes per side, and I dont have to worry about re torquing everything back to spec.

Can you give more detail about the G2 paint? who makes it? Can I get it at autozone or pep boys ?
Old 04-08-2006, 01:48 PM
Intermediate

Have sent Rich at xeonmods.com detailed specs of what is required for the rear calipers including Adobeman's sample picture. Will keep you posted if he replies.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:43 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by DeadLock
I admire your analness, lol, I used to be the same way, but I just dont have the time anymore.

I will just mask off everything as good a possible, use a plastic bad to cover the rotor, and spray away, this way it will look just as good from the outside, and will only take me about 20 minutes per side, and I dont have to worry about re torquing everything back to spec.

Can you give more detail about the G2 paint? who makes it? Can I get it at autozone or pep boys ?
Yeah, time.... The wife was away for a few days so I did most of it after the kids went to bed. Since I don't do auto work for a living it is kind of relaxing as a hobby. I got it at tirerack.com. It's pricey but it really provides a thick, hard coating.
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/g2/caliper_paint.jsp

Originally Posted by netinfiniti
Have sent Rich at xeonmods.com detailed specs of what is required for the rear calipers including Adobeman's sample picture. Will keep you posted if he replies.
Thanks for following up on that. Here is an image with the needed dimensions. (It isn't to scale) http://home.comcast.net/~adobeman/brakes/Acura_logo.jpg
Old 04-10-2006, 12:45 PM
How may I help you.....?

Any more news on this guys?
Old 04-10-2006, 07:34 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by jmbnova
Any more news on this guys?
Uber Decals, the eBay merchant you found, came back to me today with a rough quote of about $8 for a 12 pack of the logos. I think shipping will be another few bucks. 12 logos will be a lifetime supply since they should last at least a year or two and I only need two at a time.

I think I'll take the plunge and try them. When I get them I'll report back.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Racer

Nice What I'd do is paint the caliper w/ a high temp. clear coat after putting those decals on, that way they'll last for a long time
Old 04-11-2006, 07:21 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Subscribed...
Hope these work out.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:16 AM
Dr. Feelgood

Originally Posted by Adobeman
Uber Decals, the eBay merchant you found, came back to me today with a rough quote of about $8 for a 12 pack of the logos. I think shipping will be another few bucks. 12 logos will be a lifetime supply since they should last at least a year or two and I only need two at a time.

I think I'll take the plunge and try them. When I get them I'll report back.
I'd like to get the front and rear ACURA decals as well. Are the pack of 12 just one size (for the rear only)?
Is there a website and contact # for this company?
Thanks
Old 04-13-2006, 10:39 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by 05TLTony
I'd like to get the front and rear ACURA decals as well. Are the pack of 12 just one size (for the rear only)?
Is there a website and contact # for this company?
Thanks
These are just for the rear. I was figuring there would be some interest in the AT fronts as well but I don't know the dimensions and if AT owners would want straight or arced versions of the logo for the front caliper.

The vendor is Uber Decals (see the ebay link in jmbnova's post above) I'm supposed to be getting a set of them soon. How about we wait and see that they work out OK and fit the rear calipers. When I get them I plan to post pictures. If everything is OK then that would be a good lead in with them for you. You would be able to reference the exact part I am getting and then specify what you want for the fronts. Sound like a plan?

So far they have been very responsive and I am encouraged. But it might be in everyone's best interest to let me be the "guinea pig" a bit longer on this.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
Does anyone have a shot that shows front and rear at the same time?
Old 04-18-2006, 02:12 AM
Advanced

Would making a stencil with your mockup and air blush/spray paint with white paint work?
Probably have a reason not doing that way...just a thought...
Old 04-19-2006, 07:15 AM
Forced Induction

Yea I think since I havent painted the rear calipers, I will try to paint them black, than mask everything off, use a stencil and paint in the ACURA in white.

just need to print a good stencil.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Since Your Already Thinking That Way, Y Not Do A Reverse Stencil? Cut Out The Letters, Stick Them On Before You Paint, Then When It Dries, Carefully Cut The Letters Out With A Razor And The Original Finish Will Show '' A C U R A'
Old 04-19-2006, 03:20 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Does it take a long time to capitalize the first letter of every word?
Old 04-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by ITL
Does it take a long time to capitalize the first letter of every word?
I've seen that explained before...has something to do with typing with the CAPS lock key on or holding Shift while typing. I just tried it both ways and previewed it and it didn't do it, but I swear it has come up before. I would hate to think someone actually capitalized the first letter of every word on their own.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:58 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by gatsbi
Would making a stencil with your mockup and air blush/spray paint with white paint work?
Technically yes but I tried to make a template and the Acura logo I need is pretty small and has really hard areas to cut. Like the little open gaps in the A's and the R. It was just going to be too much work and probably not end up as clean looking as a decal. Decals are cheap and should hold up just fine. The rear caliper is a much different environment than the front.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:53 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Well, it looks like the guy who was willing to make the decals (Uber Decals) has evaporated. His g-mail account is now bad and he is no longer a registered user at eBay. This sucks. It seems that anyone I "touch" disappears (this is the second one)

I'm gonna go "radio silent" on this. Somehow I have a feeling that a certain auto maker might be very aggressive in protecting their trademark. What a better board than this to get leads as to who to go after. I dunno, paranoia...whatever. I just want some frickin logos for the rear calipers. Seems simple enough.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:18 PM
Burning Brakes

caps lock types funny for me on this forum
Old 04-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gatsbi
Actually gatsbi, your real close! I have Brembo’s for my truck and the name is painted on the caliper in what I assume is the same type of paint. The Acura Brembo’s look the same. I believe this is due to possible high temperatures the calipers will experience.

Not too sure if the decals can handle the heat and if the decals are not covered with some type of temperature resistant paint, I doubt they will last very long either.

Good luck and keep us up-dated!
Old 05-06-2006, 08:14 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

It is Done !

I'm back from "radio silence".

The G2 caliper paint is so damn glossy it is near impossible to photograph. (That's with a separate non-strobe light source too)
PM me for details.

Old 05-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
nice thread... Ive been looking for this type of mod too before..... I bet a lot of TLers wants this simple mod...
Old 05-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Need More HP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Shelf Life of the G2 Paint????

I am planning on paintint my rear calipers this weekend with G2. The instructions state shelf life of 4-6 months. I purchased about 14 months ago.

Do you think I will have any problems with the painting process??? Anyone have experience using G2 after the recommended date? I hate to purchase a new kit just for 8 oz's of black paint and delaying my project this weekend.

Thanks...
Old 05-11-2006, 06:33 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by gman44116
I am planning on painting my rear calipers this weekend with G2. The instructions state shelf life of 4-6 months. I purchased about 14 months ago.

Do you think I will have any problems with the painting process??? Anyone have experience using G2 after the recommended date? I hate to purchase a new kit just for 8 oz's of black paint and delaying my project this weekend.

Thanks...
I'd call G2 @ Toll Free: 877.G2LEADS
when I was thinking about using clear coat over the decals I called to ask about any known compatibility issues between their paint and VHT hi temp clear coat. They were very helpful. I've since decided not to use the clear coat. Not because there are any issues. The G2 paint is so hard and glossy I don't think clear coat will adhere. I don't want to scuff it up prior to clear coat. I think the decals will be just fine w/o clear coat over them. The rear calipers really don't get that hot or dusty.

If you have stored the paint @ room temp it might still be OK. As them
Old 05-12-2006, 05:43 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
That makes sense...
The decals are cheap, just replace 'em each tire rotation if they get to looking bad.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:54 AM
My Daily Driver

I used G2 paint on my S2000 with logos on the calipers from decalgirl.com. The car took many auto-x's, hard street driving and in the 40,000+ miles i had them on, the logos were just fine without any clearcoat over them!
Old 05-12-2006, 09:35 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
AT people should just upgrade to a good BBK instead of painting the calipers....

Quick Reply: Rear Caliper Decals to match Brembo fronts ?