Proper Fix for Slow Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 12:04 PM
2004 TL / AUTO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proper Fix for Slow Leak

Yesterday, my TL was losing about 5 psi/hour because of a nail/screw in the front tire (Eagle F1 A/S). The nail/screw was located in the thread, far from the side wall...

So I brought my car to a shop where the guys wouldnt dare touch my rims (because they're 18' ASPEC and tires have a 40 profile) but they did call a specialty tire place that would do it no problem.

The guy at the first shop said that the specialty shop would do it but he did not like the way they would fix it: patch it from the outside of the tire. He said that he would take the tire of the rim and fix it from the inside.

So I brought it to that specialty shop, and this guy tells me that fixing it from the outside is perfectly acceptable... This is the way they fixed it last night.

Is this a proper repair???

Thks.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
No, the tire needs to be patched from the inside.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=77
Old 10-08-2008, 02:35 PM
My baby's ride...

I've had tires fixed both ways and couldn't tell the difference nor had any problems with it.

Fix from the inside, they usually glue a pacth to the hole. Possible downside to this is they have to be careful not to scratch the wheels when taking the tire off.

Fix from the outside and they usually plug using a piece of rubber and sealing it. They don't have to take off the tire from the wheel but there must be a downside cause if there isn't, everyone would be doing it this way although I've never experienced any problems.

Maybe someone else can chime in...

Ok..I guess someone did find the proper procedure.

Last edited by luckyAKAhappy; 10-08-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by luckyAKAhappy
I've had tires repaired both ways and couldn't tell the difference.

On the inside, they glue a patch to the hole.

On the outside, they use a plug to seal the hole.
There is also a hybrid solution, which is the best. The tire is patched from the inside, and in the middle of the patch is a plug that protrudes out and fills the hole. This is the best repair you can get.

PS: Plugging a tire is a big no-no. to plug a tire, you have to "ream" out the hole so the plug (and the insertion tool) can fit through it. this reaming can cause the belts to separate, which can cause the tire to explode.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:22 PM
2004 TL / AUTO

So what should I do??? Take it somewhere else to get fixed properly or just leave it as is and hope for the best??
Old 10-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
It's ultimately your decision. Are you willing to gamble? I gambled 2 months ago, and had a shop shoot a plug in my tire because it would cost too much for me to find a place that could dismount/patch/remount 20" reverse mount rims. I haven't had a problem yet.

If you're not willing to gamble, take your car to an aftermarket wheel store that does installations and have them patch it from the inside. They will have the right equipment to safely dismount and remount your tire.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:32 PM
2004 TL / AUTO

Originally Posted by Trew
It's ultimately your decision. Are you willing to gamble? I gambled 2 months ago, and had a shop shoot a plug in my tire because it would cost too much for me to find a place that could dismount/patch/remount 20" reverse mount rims. I haven't had a problem yet.

If you're not willing to gamble, take your car to an aftermarket wheel store that does installations and have them patch it from the inside. They will have the right equipment to safely dismount and remount your tire.
Sounds good thanks, appreciate it.... When I have the time I might go and get it redone properly.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik_Cdn
Sounds good thanks, appreciate it.... When I have the time I might go and get it redone properly.
If they give you any trouble, here's something from the NHTSA:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/.../brochure.html

The proper repair of a punctured tire requires a plug for the hole and a patch for the area inside the tire that surrounds the puncture hole. Punctures through the tread can be repaired if they are not too large, but punctures to the sidewall should not be repaired. Tires must be removed from the rim to be properly inspected before being plugged and patched.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:57 PM
2004 TL / AUTO

Originally Posted by Turbonut
If they give you any trouble, here's something from the NHTSA:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/.../brochure.html

The proper repair of a punctured tire requires a plug for the hole and a patch for the area inside the tire that surrounds the puncture hole. Punctures through the tread can be repaired if they are not too large, but punctures to the sidewall should not be repaired. Tires must be removed from the rim to be properly inspected before being plugged and patched.
Great, thank you!