View Poll Results: Progress RSB setting? Race or Street...
Race, inside holes.
66.67%
Street, outside holes.
22.22%
I have a different RSB without settings...
16.67%
I have gone back to stock because of...
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Progress RSB: Stiff or Soft?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:31 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Progress RSB: Stiff or Soft?

I do take a lot of twisties on the way to and from work so stiff would be fun but I also don't want to over stress my rear suspension/endlinks... What setting did you choose and why?
Old 02-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by BuffBakerGA
I do take a lot of twisties on the way to and from work so stiff would be fun but I also don't want to over stress my rear suspension/endlinks... What setting did you choose and why?
I've done tons and tons of testing on this.

If you have an auto with the 25mm hollow FSB, use the soft position or you will actually be slower in the turns due to the slightly tail happy nature.

If you have a manual with the 27.2mm hollow front bar, use either the soft or firm setting.

If you have the Type-S with the 27mm solid, use the firm setting.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I hate cars... Your inbox is full so I'll ask it here.

Is the purpose of jacking up the rear of car is to have better working clearance? Couldn't you just ramp up the rear? I don't see why taking the tires off is needed because after removing the RSB and tires, wouldn't the axle hit the ground (or the shocks max out)?

Also, grease question... Is white lithium grease fine for Progress bushings? Does Progress have poly or rubber bushings? Thanks for the info...
Old 02-16-2010, 02:43 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Race.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 374 Likes on 207 Posts
Subscribed, looking to get the RSB, but don't want to stress teh butt either.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:53 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Race (inside) settings. If I wanted soft, I would have gotten a softer RSB.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by leedogg
Race (inside) settings. If I wanted soft, I would have gotten a softer RSB.
You have to look at the big picture. You're going to be slower with it on the firmer setting and the stock AT front bar. I've tried it, I've timed the car over and over again with every imaginable combo. Firmer by itself is not better, it has to be balanced. If you run a Type-S front or aftermarket front, by all means put the rear in firm.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BuffBakerGA
I hate cars... Your inbox is full so I'll ask it here.

Is the purpose of jacking up the rear of car is to have better working clearance? Couldn't you just ramp up the rear? I don't see why taking the tires off is needed because after removing the RSB and tires, wouldn't the axle hit the ground (or the shocks max out)?

Also, grease question... Is white lithium grease fine for Progress bushings? Does Progress have poly or rubber bushings? Thanks for the info...
I have to do the short answer because I'm at work but jacking it up with the bar off won't hurt a thing.

I did mine with one rear tire removed.

The car has to be completely on the ground with both tires evenly or completely off. Since the swaybar is a torsional spring, if one side is higher or lower than the other you're not going to be able to install it. It resists that twist and with one side higher than the other you're going to be fighting the bar to install it.

I'll get into more detail when I get home.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
sorry to hijack this thread but I need to ask this. I hate cars, I am getting a progress RSB and I have a 6MT. Is it worth it getting the type s front sway bar? this car is not tracked or raced in any way. I can get the front sway bar for really really cheap, but I read in one of your threads that it was a bitch to replace, so I just wanna know if it's worth it, or if I should just stick with the stock hollow sway bar?
Old 02-17-2010, 09:55 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
^^^YES!....i have done this upgrade and if i were you i would also get new endlinks as well. the car is much more balanced and planted on the road. overall ride quality is defintely improved tho.

installation: you WILL have to drop the sub-frame to make this install easy on urself. personally, i wouldnt recommend doing this unless you have access to a lift or you can pay someone with a lift. i believe "i hate cars" installed his upgraded bar, which was an h&r adjustable bar btw, without dropping the sub-frame. cant remeber but i know it was a PITA for him....at least from wat i read.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by djbonsu
^^^YES!....i have done this upgrade and if i were you i would also get new endlinks as well. the car is much more balanced and planted on the road. overall ride quality is defintely improved tho.

installation: you WILL have to drop the sub-frame to make this install easy on urself. personally, i wouldnt recommend doing this unless you have access to a lift or you can pay someone with a lift. i believe "i hate cars" installed his upgraded bar, which was an h&r adjustable bar btw, without dropping the sub-frame. cant remeber but i know it was a PITA for him....at least from wat i read.

I did have to drop the subframe but did not know that ahead of time. I ended doing it on my back on the side of the street with a single floorjack, not fun. I started at 6PM and finished cleaning up at midnight. Couldn't stop because the car had to get me to work in 4 hours. The complete lack of light didn't help things.

Don't forget, an alignment is a must afterwards.

As for it being a worthwhile upgrade from a manual 27mm hollow, I would say yes from a price standpoint. From a labor standpoint, if you have a lift and take your time without getting pissed, it's worth it. I figure I could do it again in 1.5 hours if I had a lift and daylight.

I calculated it once but going from the hollow bar to the solid bar added something like 60% or more to the stiffness. It really makes the car much, much more stable at high speeds.

However, to properly control the large 28mm H&R bar that I have, I needed to crank the Konis nearly one extra turn toward stiff. Without it the car got fairly choppy. With the shocks set right, the ride barely suffers.

I doubt this would be needed with the Type-S bar but you never know.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
damn so it's not an easy job to do yourself then. I don't have access to a lift and I am sure shops would want alot of money to install that. +wheel alignment on top of that (70$ at least), doesn't seem to be worth it. Do I have to do a wheel alignment after installing the RSB?
Old 02-18-2010, 01:19 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
^^no wheel alignment need after installing the RSB. reason u have to get an alignment after installing the FSB is bacause you have dropped the front sub-frame and by re-installing it, you have thrown the suspensions specs out of wack
Old 02-19-2010, 12:30 AM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
Mine is set to race and its true the car becomes a lot more tail happy. I left it like that because I am used to driving RWD cars so the oversteer feels more natural to me than understeer. I might upgrade to the type S FSB at some point.

Last edited by AnthraciteAspec; 02-19-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AnthraciteAspec
Mine is set to race and its true the car becomes a lot more tail happy. I left it like that because I am used to driving RWD cars so the oversteer feels more natural to me than understeer. I might upgrade to the type S FSB at some point.
LOL. I know the feeling. Tail happy is more fun. It took the first 6 months of owning the TL to remember giving it throttle won't make the rear slide out. The first couple times with a friend in the car they thought I was retarded. I would be exiting a corner and get on the throttle hard to kick the rear out a little but instead it just understeered nearly to the curb.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:25 AM
n3o
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
24mm setting, but personally this sway bar isn't stiff enough for my linkings. I think I might try to get a custom one made.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:31 AM
n3o
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
LOL. I know the feeling. Tail happy is more fun. It took the first 6 months of owning the TL to remember giving it throttle won't make the rear slide out. The first couple times with a friend in the car they thought I was retarded. I would be exiting a corner and get on the throttle hard to kick the rear out a little but instead it just understeered nearly to the curb.
haha I do that so often when switching from my S2k to my TL lol.

Oh and I meant Liking* above not linking lol.

Last edited by n3o; 02-19-2010 at 11:33 AM.