Progress RSB setting

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Progress RSB setting

For a long time i had my Progress swaybar on soft setting or street setting whichever you prefer, I did try both but when stiffend up i had found it to be very uncomfortable ride. Lately i came to realize that the reason it was so uncomfortable was due to my wheels not properly balanced and some were slightly bent. Now that i have fixed everything i tryed it again on the stiffer setting and it feels so much better, I know the car doesnt handle batter as it would easily oversteer if pushed a little to far. It fools you easy, belive me i had the experience. Now that i dont drive that aggressive anymore and drive smarter i belive i just love how the car feels, the steering is also a little havier and more responsive.

my question is. Cause i found i used 2008 type s front sway bar.... Would replacing my stock 2005 make the car feel even more planted on the road and would it stiffen up the steering and also the responsiveness. would it effect the ride quality ??
Old 05-05-2011, 06:53 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Eventually, I will have the type-s front.

I can only infer, as this is my first car that I'm "making better" than stock.
Butt from what I've read about it from Matt (I hate cars), its an awesome combination. Granted, my fsb is a little thicker than the automatics, I believe that a larger fsb will make my car a lot more fun and balanced.

-Bop!
Old 05-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
ima noob.. but whats a good front/rear combo?

Is it the 28mm progress for the rear?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:18 PM

Here are the options

type-s front sway bar- I'm not sure but I believe its 19 or 20 solid bar.
6MT Rear sway bar - 20mm
Progress 24mm Rear Sway bar
H&R 28MM Front Sway bar
Old 05-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Drifting

on heeltoe, it shows type s FSB at 27.2mm?

edit: time to research.. lol

Last edited by jwr0ng626; 05-05-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:33 PM

^I havent looked into it.

maybe the guys on the forums rounded?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Drifting

ok i read up on some stuff.... type S front paired w/ progress rear will make the car feel more confident through turns

brb gna get the thread I found it at..

edit: found it = https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=sway+bar

Last edited by jwr0ng626; 05-05-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:23 PM

^hell yeah, I've learned everything from Ihc.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
whats the verdict then???

typeS front sway bar with progress rear or h&R front with progress rear.

type s, much cheaper though. especially used...
Old 05-05-2011, 09:54 PM

^I havent gotten that far yet, as I have other things that i want to spend money on.
As for now, I'm happy with the Progress RSB on stiff and my stock 6MT FSB.

the type-s is cheaper, but depending on how much of a gain from my 6mt fsb, I might go for the H&R.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:54 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
usually sway bars dont really affect ride quality. what it does is holds the left and right suspension together so it doesnt lean as much. however if you were to drive over a bump on 1 wheel only, you'd feel it a bit more on the other side after getting a bigger sway bar.

yes i recommend getting the upgraded front sway bar, it really balances things out and gets rid of the oversteer you will occur once you push the car.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Drifting

it seems to sound like type s FSB + progress rear will put smiles on peoples faces lol
Old 05-05-2011, 09:57 PM

^i'm having fun with the stock 6MT FSB
Old 05-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Drifting

well, 6mt > 5at FSB right? I dnt know the difference between those
Old 05-06-2011, 06:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I can only speak for the '04-'06 base TLs but it goes:

5at- 25mm hollow front, 17mm solid rear.
6mt- 27mm hollow front, 20mm solild
TL-S- 27mm solid front, 20mm solid rear.

I would guess that not only does the 6mt have larger swaybars, it might possibly be tuned for less understeer assuming it uses the same springs which I think it does.

This thread is on the right track, it's good to see people trying to balance and match the front and rear swaybars to each other instead of automatically going with the largest.

For the money and ease of tuning, I think the TL-S front with the Progress rear bar is an unbeatable combo. Balance will be very good and you will have a significant reduction in roll along with much less understeer and possibly a little oversteer. The 27/24 is hard to beat.

My current combo is a 28/24 combo with the 28 on soft and the 24 on firm, Konis, a-spec front springs and a custom rear rate of around 500 or 550lbs.

The H&R bar is significantly stiffer than the TL-S bar even though it's only 1mm difference. Maybe it's a different type of metal but it's a very big difference that I was not expecting. It threw my handling balance back into stock like understeer even with the front on soft and the rear on firm. I had to get a set of custom MUCH stiffer rear springs to balance it out again. Luckily the rears don't affect front seat ride quality much but the rear seat passengers might complain at this spring rate. I want to be clear, ride quality for the driver is still very good, barely stiffer (as perceived by the driver) than the a-spec rears.

Honestly, I think the best balance would be the Comptech 22mm for the 5at cars. The Comptech and maybe the Progress if you like the tail out action for the 6mt, and the Progress for the TL-S. Putting a Progress 24mm in the firm position on a stock 5at will not make it any quicker at the track, it will make it tail happy. You're literally running stiffer rear than front bar.

My results were interesting and I can't fully explain a couple things but I'll start with the things that I expected. Increasing the rear stiffness whether springs or swaybars reduced understeer and increasing front stiffness increased understeer.

Larger front bar increased wheelspin when exiting a turn and made the front inside tire easier to lock up when entering a turn. The big bars just try and lift the inside wheels. The counter to this would be stiffer springs.

Adding a larger front bar in addition to the rear bar really helped high speed stability. The rear bar alone showed no improvement but the front really made it feel more planted and less scary and twitchy.

One thing I did not expect was the turn-in improvement from the added front stiffness. For some reason, the super stiff front bar made turn in extremely sharp. The car just wants to respond to the steering wheel and change directions very easily. I expected the opposite result but this was a pleasant surprise. It's very stable at high speeds, not twitchy at all but when you ask it to turn, it responds quickly.

Adjustable shocks are a must to bring your combo together. I originally used the Konis with my stock suspension. I later added a 24mm rsb, then the a-spec springs, then the fsb and finally the custom rear rates, all with the same Konis (the rears were replaced once). It's kind of neat how it works.... On stock springs, I always ran the Konis near full soft. Above that, they felt unnecessarily harsh. Turn them up half way and the ride was too harsh. After raising the spring rate so much (springs and swaybars), I have them just under 3/4 of the way to full stiff and the ride feels normal. It's required to control the rebound of the stiffer springs. In fact, stiffening the shocks to 3/4 from stiff so they could control the new suspension resulted in a better ride and much better handling.

I enjoyed this very much because it's the first daily driver street car I've set up for handling like this one stage at a time. My other cars I threw all parts at it at once and I never got to see how they interacted. I was wrong about several assumptions I originally had and especially how to setup FWD suspension. I'm happy with it now but if I had it to do over again I would skip the 28mm fsb and just stick with the TL-S bar. I gained performance but for a daily driver I don't know if the slight loss of ride quality (due to the stiffer rear springs and the extra work and money was worth it. On the other hand, with a sticky tire like the NT05 I might not have been happy with just the 27/24 combo. This combo has very little body roll on ordinary tires while maintaining a-spec like ride quality.

I hope this makes sense when I read it in the morning, I'm practically falling asleep right now.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:28 AM
Team Owner

I guess I could hint at my next change. Most likely a stiffer RSB will be in this car's future.

I overlooked motive traction and concentrated solely on handling balance. I can keep the overall handling balance and decrease wheel spin/lock in the corners by softening the rear springs and increasing the RSB size/stiffness. I'm looking forward to trying this out.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:09 PM
06 ThugLuv

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^
holly shit I love how twisted and crazy this gets cuz i understand most of it...I wish I had a pile of sway bars and a track to play on.

When u made the 5at, 6mt, tl-s specific suggestions...are you making these suggestions base on the spring rates that come with each model?

I think you might be…if you are if I have a 5at with upgraded coils does that invite me into the bigger sway bar selection?
Old 05-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CaliWowie
^
holly shit I love how twisted and crazy this gets cuz i understand most of it...I wish I had a pile of sway bars and a track to play on.

When u made the 5at, 6mt, tl-s specific suggestions...are you making these suggestions base on the spring rates that come with each model?

I think you might be…if you are if I have a 5at with upgraded coils does that invite me into the bigger sway bar selection?
Yep. From what I've found, the Tl-s has stiffer rear springs in comparison to the front so it doesn't require quite as much rsb compared to the other models. Pretty sure the base 6mt and 5at use the same spring rates from my limited info and based on their front to rear swaybar choices. The aspec springs give a little less understeer so that's something to take into consideration. Looking at spring rates, many aftermarket springs should INCREASE understeer.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:17 PM
06 ThugLuv

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^^
Couldn’t be more right. that’s what I’m going through right now. it feels soo weird on the freeway on and off ramps! I have the F&F coils w/ eibach spring..And I’m going for the stiffer feel..And I’m running almost full stiff in damming and I drove my car after I read this and I could put everything in perspective...need my front to be stiffer!

i was about to start lookin into what rsb i should buy..but now I realize I need to do fsb research to…I honestly was never going to pay attention to the fsb

So if i have coil over’s and I raise the car with the springs that should also affect under and over steer right?? It is making it stiffer....

do you think damping adjustment play a major role in under and over steer??