Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 09:39 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S

Swapped out my stock EL 42's for Pirellis a few days ago. Chose the Pirellis largely on the rating at tirerack.com re smoothness and snow tration, and the positive comments on this site. Handling, braking, etc... is much improved. The only thing I'm unhappy with so far is the harsh ride. I think I miscalculated how an ultra high peformance tire will make you feel every imperfection in the road. Ive got an almsot constant vibration/buzz coming right through the steering wheel. Maybe I should have gone for a 'grand touring' tires like the Bridgestome LS-Z instead. I have the tire pressure at 32 PSI. Will increasing it make the ride more or less harsh? Will they 'mellow' with age?
Old 12-01-2004, 10:20 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Eitan
...The only thing I'm unhappy with so far is the harsh ride. I think I miscalculated how an ultra high peformance tire will make you feel every imperfection in the road. Ive got an almsot constant vibration/buzz coming right through the steering wheel. Maybe I should have gone for a 'grand touring' tires like the Bridgestome LS-Z instead. I have the tire pressure at 32 PSI. Will increasing it make the ride more or less harsh? Will they 'mellow' with age?

LS-Z may be a little quieter, but Pzeros has much better grip and all aspects you want, plus no flatspotting??.

Do you feel "tramlining"??? Is this what you feel?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102100
Old 12-01-2004, 10:31 AM
Intermediate

Could be tramlining. I commute to work on a highway with small lateral grooves. Didn't notice the grooves as much with the EL42's. Maybe I've never driven a 'sporty' tire on a car that is 'sport tuned.' I came form a Volvo S80 that had Bridgestone LS- H's on it. I understand that most OEM's liek the EL42's are designed for smoothness to accomodate the mass market.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Eitan
Will increasing it make the ride more or less harsh?
Increasing tire pressure will make the ride more harsh.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:35 AM
Advanced

I just put the pzeros in too and seem to notice a little more "feel" to the road. Not sure if i felt this before, I just seem to be looking for it now that I changed wheels. With that said the grip is amazing. I'm able to corner at higher speeds and the thing sticks like glue. The road noise isn't bad either.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:11 PM
Advanced

I have the Pzero's as well. Overall I like them much better then the crappy stock BS E:42's. I don't, however, think the ride is harsher with the Pzero's. My ride is much quieter now and feels smoother.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:25 AM
Super Sooner

I just put on a set of the PZero Nero's..and man they're great. I went to a 245/40. I didnt notice much of a an increase in road noice...but there is definitly an increase in grip. So far they are good...but I have 30 days to get them changed out if I don't like them anymore.....
Old 05-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Question

I really like to know how well this tyre could do in the winter and over snowy conditions...

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:06 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what are the stock specs for this tire? im getting them this weekend...i want to walk in there and have everything down on paper and have them order them right away! can someone please tell me?
Old 12-15-2005, 07:59 PM
tTLiang

not all tire shops are the same. i once have a new set (bot on tirerack i guess they didn't like that) installed by an acura dealer that shaked and jerked. after 3 trips back to the dealer, i took them to ETD just for checking. ALL 4 were not balanced (dealer kept saying i had bad rims and tried to sell me new ones). $50 later, they drove like a dream.

as far as for p0 nero snow traction:

i think they will just be average in snow like every other all season. you know you have to take it slow. it will have enough traction to get you by if you take it slow. you can probably just forget about icy or freezing rain. you really need winter tires to get ok traction for those. that's why i am currently thinking about Blizzak LM-22 since i have summer tires for the warmer time. i hope they will give me better grip on even extreme cold dry winter days. 4seasons seem to get to hard once it gets real cold like recently.

if you only have one set of rims then 4season make sense i guess.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Pro

As far as I can tell, there are two types of PZero Neros, the "regular" and the M+S. Which one are you guys talking about? I'm probably going to go with the M+S (a little less high performance, but better in terms of "all season").
Old 12-15-2005, 08:23 PM
tTLiang

Originally Posted by varanelli
As far as I can tell, there are two types of PZero Neros, the "regular" and the M+S. Which one are you guys talking about? I'm probably going to go with the M+S (a little less high performance, but better in terms of "all season").
the "regular" (Pzero Nero) you mentioned is summer tire only. no snow traction at all.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:40 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
so the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S is the all-season tire?

what are the specs tho....for the stock rims?
Old 12-15-2005, 08:56 PM
tTLiang

yes.

it's on your current tires. 235/45/17.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Instructor

Eitan,
I'm very surprised you feel the ride is 'harsh' with the Zeros compared with the EL42's. Like most on here who've switched to the Zeros, we find them as comfortable if not more so than the stock tires, and much quieter, too. I assume you're using stock size, it might be that with 18 or 19's (less sidewall height) the ride quality suffers.

I'm just surprised, especially at 32 psi.... The grooved highway you talk about, is it also a very rough surface as well, and is a lot of your day-to-day driving on this road? Have you noticed differences related to other road surfaces? Your speed? It's natural for any tire to ride a bit worse and to be much louder on a rough surface, of course.

The vibration might be a bad balancing job. I'd take it back where the install was done, complain and have them rebalance. If that doesn't help, take it to a performance shop -- not a chain tire store -- where they have a Hunter Roadforce balancing machine, and ask them to balance the wheels to about 100 mph or more. That should make them plenty smooth at most "likely" speeds. If not, it's quite possible that you got a bad tire in the set (I've heard a few of these stories about the Zeros). A rotation (front to back) can test for that. If so, hopefully there's some kind of warranty...

Note: Tire stores often have RoadForce balancing but are reluctant to balance to a high speed. The chain's lawyers don't want them 'encouraging' such things! That's why I suggested a performance shop equipped to do wheels and tires.

Good luck and let us know what you did and how things turn out.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:04 PM
4th Gear

What kind of tread mileage can you expect with the p-zeros
Old 02-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Cruisin'

I've had p zero nero m+s on my previous car with 225/50/16 size. more comfortable than all summer tire but less performance on dry. I didn't like the wet traction but wasn't too bad. I know this tire is all season but try not to drive in deep snow. I had no luck going up the hill with this tire.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:14 AM
1st Gear

The wet traction is awesome compared to the stock EL's. No more yellow triangle's lighting up in the dash when I drive in the rain. The traction control used to come on every few minutes in the rain with the stock EL's. Great tire.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:47 PM
10th Gear

I also have Pirelli P-Zero M&S on my 04 TL A-Spec and have had them on for about a year and a half here in NY. I've went through 2 Summers and a Winter season. Over all they're great tires except for the rough ride they give you. I went to a tire shop in NJ off route 46 which told me that the reason why they give you this hard ride is because of the "compund" that all pirelli tires are made of. According to them during the winter, because of the cold weather, they get hard, causing you to feel everything on the road. I believed them becuase I put it to the test myself and found that during the summer my pirrellis drive excellent and even improve in grip and handling as oppose to the winter season.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
so are these tires better than the Falken Ziex or are they they same for summer driving?
Old 04-09-2006, 10:07 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow 1st not so possitive review after months of searching for a replacement tires which I'm expecting on Tuesday, I just ordered the PZero M+S 245/45-17 and hope to have a better ride than with these Turznzas which IMHO are crap but not as bad as the Michelin Pilots I had on my RSX-S...so harsh may be a good thing as long as I get the traction....I read that they are not noisy as the Falkens..
Old 04-10-2006, 02:03 PM
rm -rf *

Hek,

I just put on a set of 245/45-17 PZero Nero M&S a couple of weeks ago. No complaints yet. Ride is much better & quieter. The tires are a little hard, but still 100 times better than the EL-42. Plus, I think the extra bit of width and the tread makes 'em look kinda mean!
Old 04-11-2006, 08:23 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sinisterk
Hek,

I just put on a set of 245/45-17 PZero Nero M&S a couple of weeks ago. No complaints yet. Ride is much better & quieter. The tires are a little hard, but still 100 times better than the EL-42. Plus, I think the extra bit of width and the tread makes 'em look kinda mean!

I got the PZeros yesterday morning but will wait until this Friday to have them mounted and wow got the 245 and they look wide... , did you make sure that they were put on in the correct direction on the rim, I was about to have this local place Tire Experts...right... do it for $45 all 4 and when I called back to see how late they were open they game me a ..." those tires are not directional so you can mount them anyway on the rim" well I read the sidewall and it tells you which side should be on the outside and which on the inside, so I decided to have a place in CT do them for me, I wil stand next to the guys and watch them work, I may just show up with some donuts for them since they're working on a holyday,,,,c'mon Friday 730 am...
Old 04-12-2006, 02:55 PM
rm -rf *

Originally Posted by HEK
I got the PZeros yesterday morning but will wait until this Friday to have them mounted and wow got the 245 and they look wide... , did you make sure that they were put on in the correct direction on the rim, I was about to have this local place Tire Experts...right... do it for $45 all 4 and when I called back to see how late they were open they game me a ..." those tires are not directional so you can mount them anyway on the rim" well I read the sidewall and it tells you which side should be on the outside and which on the inside, so I decided to have a place in CT do them for me, I wil stand next to the guys and watch them work, I may just show up with some donuts for them since they're working on a holyday,,,,c'mon Friday 730 am...
Whoa, I actually didn't know about the directional requirements. I'll be checking that tonight.... Thanks for the nugget.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:36 PM
1st Gear

Hello all! I got about 31,000 miles out of my Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S so far. There was no mileage warranty when new. They are getting to the point of needing replacement and now I find that they don't make the M+S anymore.

Seems the replacement is the P Zero Nero All Season which I don't know much about, yet, except that those are also on the way out too and being replaced by something else. The name of the replacement hasn't been released yet as far as I can tell.

I have loved all the Pirelli P Zero Nero's that I have bought. They were a little louder than the Michelin's I replaced, but I like my music loud, so.... Besides, they do everything else SOO awesome, that they are worth it. IMHO. Compromise is everywhere.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
Almost got the P Zero Nero All Season last night. But didn't lol.