Legend II Silver
8.75%
5 Zigen Sports Engine
7.50%
Axis Shine
18.75%
Axis Hero
12.50%
None of the above. But Ill post what I think...
3.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Pic 1 of 11 wheels for 07 ASM TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 01:04 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Let me give you another 2cents on TPMS straps... You gotta get passed this. I actually was wrong in my previous post... The current law says EVERY car sold after September 2007 MUST have an active tire pressure monitoring system.

Just cause a dealer is not familiar with the bands doesn't make it a bad idea. Just go for it.

I installed mine myself. It took 20 minutes. The guy installing the tires though it was really neat.

When TPMS becomes mandated, "2 piece wheel" vendors will NOT go out of business, tire installers will finally get familiar with these banding solutions... It's the only solution out there if you want to run these high end wheels.

Here's an aftermarket system that uses bands:
http://www.tiresafeguard.com/pdf/TPM...n%20Manual.pdf

Here are some dumbasses that think a banding solution should cost $150 (stupid Corvette people)
http://www.xmsengineering.com/wheels/

Here's a tech article referenceing strap type sensors:
http://www.moderntiredealer.com/t_pr...t&storyID=1311

Since the OE transmitters are the stem type, the wheels are designed to accommodate these units (the valve stem hole area is configured for these transmitters). Some aftermarket wheels do not allow the addition of the stem-type transmitter, which makes them suitable for a band (strap-on) type.

Tirerack article mentioning the strap type:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=44

Most aftermarket direct monitoring systems attach the sensor/transmitter to the wheel with an adjustable metal strap. These sensors/transmitters and their straps only weigh a few ounces and allow virtually universal application on car and light truck wheels.

Mazda's USE band systems:
http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=102897
Additionally, there are two different styles of sensors for a direct system: a valve sensor and a strap/band sensor. Mazda has been using both valve sensors and strap sensors. A strap or band sensor is held onto the wheel by a metal strap that wraps around the inside barrel. The strap must be an exact fit for the wheel it is used on (i.e. 18” band is used on an 18” wheel).

Mustang enthusiast doing the same thing I did:
http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forum...showtopic=6939

Mustang sensors are strap based:
http://home.ptd.net/~safari/mustang/fsm/Strap.pdf

G35 guys using homemade straps...
http://www.myg37.com/forum/brakes-su...et-wheels.html
Old 07-16-2007, 04:38 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't mean to hijack the thread, but Kennedy: is ronjon inpyre true forged wheel or Cast wheels.... how about the legend?

and how many piece is insypre or legend wheel?

As far as my vote goes.... I would say Legend II
Old 07-16-2007, 05:04 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by d1jey1
don't mean to hijack the thread, but Kennedy: is ronjon inpyre true forged wheel or Cast wheels.... how about the legend?

Don't hold me to this... PM rondog... but I believe all RonJon wheels "at this time" are cast 1 piece. I believe the only forged wheels to come out of RJSD is the now discontinued "Devotions".

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=ronjon+forged

Forged wheels are usually multipiece, as the complex forms seen in cast wheels is not achievable with a "tool".
Cast wheels are made by a machine injecting molten aluminum into a mold... so you can design some crazy molds.
Forged wheels usually start as a single block of billet aluminum, and are MACHINED into the final shape. This process is much more expesive, hence the higher costs. Often, these wheels are made in multiple pieces to make the manufacturing process cheaper/easier.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by d1jey1

If you go to there site it says they are low pressure cast. Both the Inspire, Legend, Legend II are 1 piece low pressure cast.

I am waiting to see an actual 19" Legend II with the 1.5" clear coated polished lip that fit the Brembo brakes. It will look quite different from the 20" Legend II.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most forged wheels are machined. One exception I know is BBS 1-pc forged wheels (most if not all) that are DIE forged. It means they don't machine the forged blanks to achieve the final shape. Rather, they die forge the aluminum billets a few times using different dies to create the final shape. That way, only very minimal machining is required.

I believe my 18" BBS RGR is manufactured using this die forging technique. If someone knows how Rays manufactures their TE37 and CE28N, please share....

The process is outlined somewhat in the middle of this article:
http://asia.vtec.net/Reviews/EibachBBS/index.html

The images below are taken from Temple of VTEC Asia.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Safety Car

Varianza Still in 1st Place.

I think the Varianza or Volk GT-S is what I will get

But the Axis Shine is in 2nd place. I am just worried about the

strenght of them. TPMS straps SUCK.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Instructor

JD if you don't like straps then keep your stock wheels. But if you want wheels that require straps then your going to have to blaze a new path for the most part on your own. TPMS as a standard on cars is fairly new, add in that fact that on the whole very few people replace their stock TPMS equipped wheels with after market wheels. So yes you will find very very few if at all, installers with strap experience.
But there are quite a few of us on this site with straps! And they work! My strap equipped GT-C's are as smooth as my OEM wheels at all speeds. Don't let straps be your deciding factor, get what YOU like for your car. It's your car and your money!
Old 07-19-2007, 10:03 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

PREACH IT BROTHER...

Originally Posted by VT06TL
JD if you don't like straps then keep your stock wheels. But if you want wheels that require straps then your going to have to blaze a new path for the most part on your own. TPMS as a standard on cars is fairly new, add in that fact that on the whole very few people replace their stock TPMS equipped wheels with after market wheels. So yes you will find very very few if at all, installers with strap experience.
But there are quite a few of us on this site with straps! And they work! My strap equipped GT-C's are as smooth as my OEM wheels at all speeds. Don't let straps be your deciding factor, get what YOU like for your car. It's your car and your money!
Old 07-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VT06TL
Thanks much. More positive reinforcemnet helps alot.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:49 AM
Instructor

You don't have to the strips to mount the TPMS anymore. Iforged just came out with a adapter to mount TPMS on aftermarket wheels and they also fit many other brands besides Iforged wheels. Here is the information: http://www.iforged.com/press/may25/may25.php I am going to contact them soon since I am going to need a set for my new wheels soon.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:02 AM
Safety Car

Thumbs up terry919 Your are #1

Great find Awesome catch Awesome research

What do you want for lunch

I knew SOMEBODY had to make something that wasn't CAVEMAN in design.

Now I need to see if they will fit other brands

This info NEEDS to get ALL OVER, so people can remember its the

21st Century. Thanks much
Old 07-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Safety Car

Question Still close race

The Varianza is in 1st place, the Shine is in 2nd, but the Shine is now OFF my

list. Worried about quality and strength. The Volk GT-S is in 3rd place, but its

now between the Varianza and the GT-S ??? Time will tell.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:21 AM
Safety Car

Smile Thankyou for all your great opinions !!!

I have learned SO MUCH on this forum Thanks to so many people

with alot of knowledge.

My 07 TL-S is Gone But now I will wait for the Next gen TL

I HOPE they offer a 6 speed manual with the SH AWD

And at least 320HP. I have a new 07 car, AND its NBP

So there YA GO, I actually bought a BLACK car, and it shines like CRAZY

NO Brembos on this one. But no mods are planned for this car...

Can't wait to get it broken in