Noob springs question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:00 PM
2006 Acura TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Noob springs question

if i decide to get lowering springs would i need to get new strut bars bc of the aftermarket springs or can i just throw them on and have no problems. i feel like an idiot asking but thanks in advance
Old 01-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
No problem
Old 01-03-2011, 06:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
No problem

It will shorten the life of the struts though and longevity would be dependent upon the drop.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Suzuka Master

If its a high mile car it might. It turned out to be a wives tale over on the VW forums .. Lots of rumors it would but very few actual instances where it did.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Reading the following from Sport Compact Car leads one to believe that the shocks/struts will wear out earlier than if the lowering spring weren't installed. I didn't say they would blow out immediately; rather they would wear out prematurely:

Can I install aftermarket springs over my factory shocks?

While it's possible to install aftermarket springs over your stock shocks, you might be disappointed with the result. Aftermarket springs are typically stiffer than stock springs and may be too much for your already-worn stock shock absorbers to handle properly. If your factory shocks are in great condition, feel free to use them with aftermarket springs. Manufacturers include installation hardware to install their coilover kits on most strut applications. If you notice too much bounce, you can always come back and buy some aftermarket shocks. However, it's generally best to replace both springs and shocks at the same time because you'll save a lot on installation costs that way. Plus, if you replace your shocks/struts at a later time, you'll need to spend bucks on yet another alignment.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Reading the following from Sport Compact Car leads one to believe that the shocks/struts will wear out earlier than if the lowering spring weren't installed. I didn't say they would blow out immediately; rather they would wear out prematurely:

Can I install aftermarket springs over my factory shocks?

While it's possible to install aftermarket springs over your stock shocks, you might be disappointed with the result. Aftermarket springs are typically stiffer than stock springs and may be too much for your already-worn stock shock absorbers to handle properly. If your factory shocks are in great condition, feel free to use them with aftermarket springs. Manufacturers include installation hardware to install their coilover kits on most strut applications. If you notice too much bounce, you can always come back and buy some aftermarket shocks. However, it's generally best to replace both springs and shocks at the same time because you'll save a lot on installation costs that way. Plus, if you replace your shocks/struts at a later time, you'll need to spend bucks on yet another alignment.
Basically what I saidbut in less words, I have done it on a few cars now .. no issues if the shocks are low mile & good condition.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice! I have a 07 TL-S with 53k. Put 5k miles on it already in one month. I want to buy a set of springs, and not worry about struts right now because money is a bit tight.

My Questions (because I'm a NOOB!)
1 - How low of a drop can I do to before it looks too low and before you start to jeopardize with the stock strut wear and tear?
2 - What brands/models are usually used and where can I find more info on cost?

My brother is a Honda/Acura tech at the local dealer, so I am not worried about installation costs or tools needed.

Help please?? Maybe show pics of different drop heights?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RedWhip07
Very nice! I have a 07 TL-S with 53k. Put 5k miles on it already in one month. I want to buy a set of springs, and not worry about struts right now because money is a bit tight.

My Questions (because I'm a NOOB!)
1 - How low of a drop can I do to before it looks too low and before you start to jeopardize with the stock strut wear and tear?
2 - What brands/models are usually used and where can I find more info on cost?

My brother is a Honda/Acura tech at the local dealer, so I am not worried about installation costs or tools needed.

Help please?? Maybe show pics of different drop heights?

Thanks in advance
Mine is dropped on Comptech and its about an inch. 3 years now and no issues.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is dropped on Comptech and its about an inch. 3 years now and no issues.
Thanks! I'll look into Comptech

I see your mods say you have the vinyl roof overlay - how much did that set you back? Any concerns with possible moisture/dirt under the vinyl that could damage the paint? Is that something thats reversible?
Old 01-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RedWhip07
Thanks! I'll look into Comptech

I see your mods say you have the vinyl roof overlay - how much did that set you back? Any concerns with possible moisture/dirt under the vinyl that could damage the paint? Is that something thats reversible?
Was about $90 and nothing gets under it , been on 2.5 years now and yes its reversable.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Was about $90 and nothing gets under it , been on 2.5 years now and yes its reversable.

...its reversible?

My god I'm bored...i'm going to bed