No idea what to buy. Neuspeed Super Cup Kit or Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:29 AM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
No idea what to buy. Neuspeed Super Cup Kit or Coilovers

Im still riding on my oem supsension in my 04 5AT TL with 108k miles. Its time for an upgrade. I see a lot of positive reviews for the neuspeed super cup kit and megans. Seems like lots of people prefer megans over tein.

We have pretty bumpy roads with lots of potholes where I live and work. I have about a 2 inch gap on my front 18" wheels and 1 inch in the rear. I dont want to slam my car but I would like to have at most .5 inches of gap all around.

I like a soft ride like I once had but lately I feel every bump i go over and its rough. I dont want the car to be too bouncy. Id like less body roll while cornering. Id like a high quality product that is going to last me another 100k miles.

I understand the basic differences between coilovers and a shock/spring combo but what would suit my needs best?

What do you guys recommend for me?
Old 01-12-2010, 12:35 AM
18psi

one more thing, whats a top hat kit? is that required for the neuspeed kit?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:19 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
this all depends on a cpl things

1) do you want dampening adjustability?
2) do you want to change the height of the car constantly?

the neuspeed supercup kit has both height and dampening adjustability. any coilover has height adjustment however some do NOT have dampening adjustability (i.e. tein basics and h&r). coilover with dampening adjustibility are tein ss, megans, ksport, and function n form.

as far as the top hat kits go, some vendors on here sell some however, if you dont plan on re-installing your oem coils, you can remover those top hats and place them on you new coils.

I have had the neuspeed supercup kit for about a year now and have had no problem. only complaint i would have is the PIA height adjustibilty as you have to remove the assembly from the car and disassemble the entire shock/spring to change the spring perch for height adjustment.

hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:27 PM
18psi

Originally Posted by djbonsu
this all depends on a cpl things

1) do you want dampening adjustability?
2) do you want to change the height of the car constantly?

the neuspeed supercup kit has both height and dampening adjustability. any coilover has height adjustment however some do NOT have dampening adjustability (i.e. tein basics and h&r). coilover with dampening adjustibility are tein ss, megans, ksport, and function n form.

as far as the top hat kits go, some vendors on here sell some however, if you dont plan on re-installing your oem coils, you can remover those top hats and place them on you new coils.

I have had the neuspeed supercup kit for about a year now and have had no problem. only complaint i would have is the PIA height adjustibilty as you have to remove the assembly from the car and disassemble the entire shock/spring to change the spring perch for height adjustment.

hope this helps.
Once I set my car to the proper height then I would leave it that way unless I decide to buy bigger wheels down the road. Adjusting the dampening is nice too but once I find the right balance between soft and tight (if that makes sense) I would be leaving that alone also.

so the neuspeed kit pretty much has it all but is pain to adjust the ride height. do you have to remove it to adjust dampening also? I think I read that you dont have to.

which springs would you recommend me in regards to the neuspeed kit. sport or race? I like a soft ride but I dont want the car bouncy and Id like to take corners with less body roll. I think the max i would be lowering the car is 1.5 inches.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:50 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
OP, did you ever make a purchase? if so, any feedback you can provide?

i'm in the same situation and I'm looking to make a purchase fairly soon. Leaning towards the supercup kit with sport springs. As i understand, its less aggressive then the race springs. Not looking for anything drastic, just a 1-1.5 inch drop but i would also like to maintain ride quality.

im very curious about adjustability as well. How difficult is it to adjust height/dampening?
Old 03-20-2010, 01:09 AM
18psi

I went with megans. The ride is great and can be adjusted from soft to hard with 32 levels of adjustment. Im at 19 right now and it feel its a great balance. Less body roll around turns but soft on the highway. Im dropped about 1.5" in the rear and 2" in the front
Old 04-01-2010, 11:12 AM
FL 04 dgp TL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by libert69
Once I set my car to the proper height then I would leave it that way unless I decide to buy bigger wheels down the road. Adjusting the dampening is nice too but once I find the right balance between soft and tight (if that makes sense) I would be leaving that alone also.

so the neuspeed kit pretty much has it all but is pain to adjust the ride height. do you have to remove it to adjust dampening also? I think I read that you dont have to.

which springs would you recommend me in regards to the neuspeed kit. sport or race? I like a soft ride but I dont want the car bouncy and Id like to take corners with less body roll. I think the max i would be lowering the car is 1.5 inches.

anyone have an answer?
Old 04-01-2010, 11:13 AM
FL 04 dgp TL

Old 04-01-2010, 11:33 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tbdefense20
anyone have an answer?
depends on ur preference....for damn near track-like suspension and super stiff ride...get the race springs....if you want comfort and still great handling...get the sports....i have sports btw

definitely a pain to adjust the height but once u set it, its DONE....

you DO NOT have to remove the assembly to adjust the dampening on the struts. just have to remove the front strut bar or rear seats to do this....
Old 04-01-2010, 12:38 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

i got mine (sport springs) going in tomorrow... I plan on leaving it on the 3rd perch (default setting) all around... i'll post some pics and leave some feedback afterwards.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:30 PM
FL 04 dgp TL

Originally Posted by TiggaMan909
i got mine (sport springs) going in tomorrow... I plan on leaving it on the 3rd perch (default setting) all around... i'll post some pics and leave some feedback afterwards.
yeah i would like to see more pics.

im trying to go for a no gap look. im gonna be riding on 18's with 235x40 tires. will sport springs be enough drop or should i go with race springs.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:36 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

yeah i would like to see more pics.

im trying to go for a no gap look. im gonna be riding on 18's with 235x40 tires. will sport springs be enough drop or should i go with race springs.
They way i understood it, i believe you can achieve 0 gap just by setting the koni's on the lowest perch.

I know race is a lot more aggressive drop than the sport so you should be able to have your wheels tucked with race springs on the lowest perch.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:54 PM
causing mischief & mayham

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love my Koni sp3's. Just wish the dampening was a little easier to adjust. I went with eibach springs and am on the 3rd perch. It sits perfect and rides great. Would definetly recommend it.