Need Advice from Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:42 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice from Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Owners

Greetings,

This is my first post so please bare with me. My 05 TL needs new tires. My current MXM Pilot tires are worn and I need to get new Tires ASAP. I can't say I was really happy with the Stock MXM, I am considering the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Not only do they have better tread life, but they seem to rate higher in braking as well. I've done some searching on this board and one common thing I noticed in the A/S threads was noise.

So my question to all Michelin Pilot A/S tires owners are:

1) Are you happy with the performance of the tire over the stock MXM Tires.
2) Is the noise really that much noticable ?

I could live with the noise if the car handles better. The Pilot MXM tires are also more expensive which I don't quite get since they have lower tread life. Please advise.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:01 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
If S_Paw1 does not respond to this thread, PM him (I think you need 5 posts before you can PM, so .... ).

My guess is the MXM4 is more expensive, even though it's basically a crap tire, because it's an OEM replacement, so people go to their dealer/mechanic/tire store and say, "I want the same tires the car came with." EZ money for Michelin; I need a gig like that.

Here's a couple of links if you haven't seen them already:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...speed_rating=Y - Tire Rack Consumer Survey Resluts or UHP AS.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=87 - Tire Rack UHP Test Results (BS 960 AS; GY F1 AS; Pirelli P-Zero M&S; Mich Pilot Sport AS).
Old 01-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to ACURAZINE !
I am a strong fan of the Michelin Pilot A/S's. I ran 235/45/17's on my old '05 TL 6 MT, and had the crappy MXM4's removed before taking delivery on my '07 TL-S. I have always found them good for at least 50k miles, with excellent traction in all weather conditions. You are correct that the MXM4's are way overpriced, and if you switch to the A/S's, you won't believe the difference! They handle so much better, especially in the wet. They get a little noisy after about 40k, but all tires get noisier as they wear.
There are other good tires out there, too. The A/S's are getting a little "long in the teeth" when it comes to technology, but they perform very well IMO.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Got me by 4 minutes!!!!
Don't listen to Bearcat94...he doesn't even know what SNOW is. LOL
Old 01-15-2008, 02:10 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
I don't own em but I used to sell them. It's one of my personal favorites. I think you can't go wrong with these. They give you the best of all worlds.

Your performance gains will be night and day difference over stock. Better dry grip. Excellent in the rain. Don't use them in snow of course.

Noise may be slightly more than before but it won't bother you. It wouldn't bother me either.

About treadlife, don't expect them to last longer than 30K. Your stock Michelins are made to last longer. They were made as OEM replacements with a harder compund to appeal to the mass market. (Imagine the complaints Acura would get if the 2nd best sellingentry- Pilot Sports are Ultra High Performance tires.

The biggest drawback is they are among the most overpriced tires. If you can swing the cost, you'll love them.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I have the Pilot Sport A/S. Great tire. Worked fine in the snow for me, tho the most snow I ever get around here is about 8" or so. What size are you looking for? I have two in 245/40-18, that have about 7/32 or 8/32" tread left. (new was 10/32).

They were on the front of my G35 Coupe, but I replaced all four with Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS when the back tires wore out. If you pay for shipping, I'd prbably give them to you for free, since I'll never need em' again. Here ar some pics of em' the day before I had them dismounted.

Note to mods: If this is inappropriate, I apologize. I'm not trying to hawk my stuff or anything, just thought I could help out.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
I am at the end of my lease on my 04 Navi automatic. I hated the OEM Bridgstones so much I put on the Pilot Sport A/S after one month. I have 83,000 km on the car and less than 2K were on the Bridgestones. The tires are still good on dry pavement and the rain. They dealer told me that they will pass the grade with Honda Finance (but I do not care as I am giving them back the almost new Bridgestones). They were OK the first winter in Toronto snow but you really need snows to drive north of the City. As they get older (say after 50 K) I started to notice that they were getting noisy.

Overall I have been very happy with the tires and they were way cheaper than the OEM Bridgestones.

I cannot compare them to the tires you had.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:13 AM
3rd Gear

Thank you all for your replies. Much appreciated. I made an appointment for Saturday to get these tires installed on my car. It's gonna cost me about $850 but I feel good about the purchase. And AVS007, thank you so much for the offer.

Again, thank you all very much for all your feedback and help.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:42 AM
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=rockyfeller]
About treadlife, don't expect them to last longer than 30K. Your stock Michelins are made to last longer. They were made as OEM replacements with a harder compund to appeal to the mass market. (Imagine the complaints Acura would get if the 2nd best sellingentry- Pilot Sports are Ultra High Performance tires.

Rocky, please see SMOORE's comments on mileage. You must have seen some hard drivin tires, cause that comment on 30k just doesn't seem to correlate. I have found that they are sensitive to over inflation, since the center rib is a softer compound, though.
As to the second half of your quote....please see the comments on the Turanza EL42's all over this board. Actually, the OPPOSITE seems to be the Acura way. I keep scratching my head about why..that's why I'm almost bald
OP: Please let us know how you like them.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
I am considering getting this tire when my OEM "summer" RE030s are worn out. These "summer" tires are bad when the temperature is below 50. I've even tried dropping the pressure in them a bit to promote more flex and more heat, but it's no use. It's like I'm on skates around turns and there's very little traction when I pull out into traffic first thing in the morning. I hope that an all season performance tire from Michelin is a bit better.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by junktionfet
I am considering getting this tire when my OEM "summer" RE030s are worn out. These "summer" tires are bad when the temperature is below 50. I've even tried dropping the pressure in them a bit to promote more flex and more heat, but it's no use. It's like I'm on skates around turns and there's very little traction when I pull out into traffic first thing in the morning. I hope that an all season performance tire from Michelin is a bit better.
That's actually why I bought those Pilot Sport A/S... My G35 coupe came with Pilot Sport Summer Tires. Fantastic tires.... When it was warm... When it was below 50, and especially when it was damp, I would fishtail everytime I accelerated to turn onto a street, no matter how I feathered the gas.

Replaced with Pilot Sport All/Season, and that problem completely went away.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:38 PM
Instructor

I bought PA2's for my 07 TL-S because I was unhappy with the traction and the noise of the OEM Michelin tires. I bought 245/45/17 tires and used the stock TL-S rims - the ride is smoother and much quieter. Traction is outstanding. Summer tires will be PS2's in 255/40/17 size on my second set of TL-S rims.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:12 AM
3rd Gear

Greetings all. I got my tires installed on Saturday. So far, I like them. They defenitly feel more responsive and grip better to the tarmac.

Thank you all for your feedback.