Multiple questions.... but maybe one answer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 06:59 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,483 Posts
Multiple questions.... but maybe one answer?

Okay... I posted this question before... but I wasn't sure if I got the right answer... I have 19" wheels (with 235/35/19 tires)... and when I apply light breaking... my steering wheel vibrates... especically going down hill. Awhile back... I took my wheels off and painted the break calipers... and when I put the wheels back... I (probably) tighten the lugs too much... cause I didn't have a torque wrench... Lately, it (the steering wheel) seem to vibrate even more... I also hit a really bad bump on the freeway the other night.... so I'm not sure if it's the tires... perhaps they're off balance (from that bump) or the holes of the wheels are messed up from, my over tightening...

Also, how do you know when you've bent a wheel?

Anyone? Help.... (Stan?)

(BTW, I don't get to the computer as often lately... so if you ask me a question... and I don't respond right away... don't take it personally)
Old 08-31-2002, 10:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try getting the tires balanced first. That will probably take care of the problem. when you get your tires balanced the shop can tell you if the rim is bent or not. If it is, they can't balance your tires.

Other than that, basically, if you see a dent in the rim...you can tell.
Old 09-01-2002, 12:09 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's kinda difficult to figure out with a guess. were you driving fast just prior? happens from all speeds? it's pretty consistent? examine your wheels. maybe get a torque wrench and redo all your wheels. how about swapping the rears to the front to see what happens? slap your stocks back on and go for a test. i think i get some vibration but probably normal.
Old 09-01-2002, 12:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Actually it is pretty easy to figure out. First off if you get vibs during braking but never any other time better start with rotors. Our TL's are famous for it. Another way to rule out a bent rim would be rotate fronts to back and see what happens. Have someone run a dial indicator and mic on your rotors. Also stans suggestion is good but will rule out vibs caused by your wheels entirely not seperately. good luck
Old 09-02-2002, 04:48 PM
I shoot people

Thanks guys!!! I try some of those suggestions...
Old 09-03-2002, 04:44 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget that worn suspension parts can also cause minor to severe wheel vibrations. Check your tie rods and ball joints for any unusual wear.
Old 09-03-2002, 07:15 AM
Safety Car

Vibrating during braking means warpped rotors. Did you wash your car after you drove it for quite some time and the rotors were hot?
Old 09-03-2002, 05:22 PM
I shoot people

Originally posted by silver03TL
Vibrating during braking means warpped rotors. Did you wash your car after you drove it for quite some time and the rotors were hot?
No... I hate to admit this... but I don't wash my car as often as I would like to... I live at the beach, and I can't keep up with the dust. And, since, I only live 4 miles from work (the gym, where I train clients), I don't ever have long drives (except when I go home to see my parents, which is only 1 hour away).... but that doesn't mean warpped rotors is rule out... I think that might just be the problem... If warpped rotors IS the problem... how much are we talking about... in terms of repair/replace?
Old 09-03-2002, 07:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by is300eater

No... I hate to admit this... but I don't wash my car as often as I would like to... I live at the beach, and I can't keep up with the dust. And, since, I only live 4 miles from work (the gym, where I train clients), I don't ever have long drives (except when I go home to see my parents, which is only 1 hour away).... but that doesn't mean warpped rotors is rule out... I think that might just be the problem... If warpped rotors IS the problem... how much are we talking about... in terms of repair/replace?

Usually you can have a mechanic turn the rotors and probably only cost like $20-$40 depending on where you go. If your car is under warranty, try the dealer.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:12 AM
Instructor

My brother had the same problem when he first got his 19's. If its not the brakes or a bent rim then it could be the balancing.

Most normal balancing machines are sufficent when balancing smaller rims. But sometimes they don't work for larger rims. My brother went to 4 different places to attempt to get his rims balanced and didn't have any success until he got to this one shop with this specialized machine. Check this link and you'll understand.
The machine is the GSP9700
http://hunterengineering.com/index.cfm
Old 09-04-2002, 07:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey is300eater i dont want to sound stupid but. .. you did tighten the wheels in a star pattern right... my guess would be the rotors...
Old 09-05-2002, 12:50 AM
I shoot people

Originally posted by shawhite
hey is300eater i dont want to sound stupid but. .. you did tighten the wheels in a star pattern right... my guess would be the rotors...
...if "star pattern" is what I think it is... yeah, I did... 'one of those things you learn in Auto Shop in high school... LOL.
From all of you guys' comments... it sounds like the rotors are causing the vibration... I'm pretty sure it's NOT the wheels... I was just being paranoid... I got two of my tires from America's Tires... and they have excellent services... so I'm just going to take them back there to have them check'em out. They carry tires of all sizes... and advertise having 20's and up... so I'm thinking they should be able to balance my 19s with no problem... and I'm pretty sure it's life time balance and rotating... (that is... if the problem is the balance)

Thanks again guys!!!
Old 09-05-2002, 01:06 AM
Burning Brakes

I would have also went with balancing but you mentioned it fells vibrating during braking and my experience with balance is usually you fell it at certain speeds constantly.
Old 09-08-2002, 03:54 AM
Instructor

IS300eater,

You may have tightened the lugs too much and warped the rotors. If you get a vibration at 35mph & 70mph you may have thrown a wheel weight (get them balanced). If it's only during braking, you may have warped rotors.
Do this first:
-Check wheel balance
-Torque lug nuts to spec (go to Harbor Freight and get a cheap torque wrench http://www.harborfreight.com/ )
-Alignment is $50 at Acura of Mission Viejo

If you still vibrate, you may have to get your rotors cut. Any good shop or parts shop will do it, even Pepboys :| .
Old 09-09-2002, 12:23 AM
I shoot people

Originally posted by YNOTxTONY
IS300eater,

You may have tightened the lugs too much and warped the rotors. If you get a vibration at 35mph & 70mph you may have thrown a wheel weight (get them balanced). If it's only during braking, you may have warped rotors.
Do this first:
-Check wheel balance
-Torque lug nuts to spec (go to Harbor Freight and get a cheap torque wrench http://www.harborfreight.com/ )
-Alignment is $50 at Acura of Mission Viejo

If you still vibrate, you may have to get your rotors cut. Any good shop or parts shop will do it, even Pepboys :| .
Thanks... yeah, the more I think about it... the more I'm convinced it's the rotors...
Old 09-13-2002, 05:00 PM
I shoot people

Update

Okay, so here's what happened.... I took my car in today for the regular scheduled oil change (God, I can't believe I have almost 27k miles already!!! I live 4 miles from work! Anyway...),

To make a long story short...

I got my oil changed and a comp. wash AND the rotors re-surfaced (I think that's what it's call), for $23.50!

They said it was under warranty therefore it was FREE (God!, I love that word! LOL).

Have I ever mentioned how much I love my car?

BTW, for those of you in Orange County, Ca... it was Mission Viejo Acura, a smaller dealership than some of those other ones... but better service IMO.