Lowering Springs Or Coil Overs???????

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 04:07 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up Lowering Springs Or Coil Overs???????

I was planning on ordering H&R racing springs for my TL recently. However, the shop is now trying to convince me to buy the TEIN Basic Coilover.

The H&R lowers the TL 2inch front and 1.75 rear which is perfect I think!!
The TEIN Coilovers can lower the TL up to 2.5inches front and rear!!

Now obviously I would love to have the coilover since I can adjust the height but I think 2inches is the max I will go. Plus I don't want to spend an extra $450 if I don't need to as I can spend that money for an CAI. Therefore, it is worth the extra $450 bucks buying the TEIN coilovers??? What would you do?????
Old 02-13-2005, 08:38 AM
Shift_faster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think of it this way. You are not spending the extra 450 bucks on JUST the ability to lower it further. You are getting stiffer shocks. It is not comparing apples to apples.

It is up to you whether you want shocks or not, because the stocks might blow in a while with the H&R springs since it is not designed to work with those springs.

I'd say do it right, go with the Teins. But that's just me...
Old 02-16-2005, 01:40 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
Think of it this way. You are not spending the extra 450 bucks on JUST the ability to lower it further. You are getting stiffer shocks. It is not comparing apples to apples.

It is up to you whether you want shocks or not, because the stocks might blow in a while with the H&R springs since it is not designed to work with those springs.

I'd say do it right, go with the Teins. But that's just me...

How long would you think our shocks will last with lowering springs. The reason I ask is my previous 2 cars I had it lowered more than 2.5inches without changing the shocks and I never had them blow out on me. I had both cars lowered for more than 6yrs with only lowering springs. I like how the ride is without the sport shocks b/c it is more comfortable. My friend had sport shocks or stiffer shock and the ride is much harder. So I figure lowering only 2inches should be ok. Maybe I guess it depends how hard you drive and this is only for my daily driving.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
I regret not going with TEINs... I probably will in a year or so
Old 02-19-2005, 12:46 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

From ready most of the post in this forum I might just think of buying the TEIN Basic Coilovers now.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:48 PM
Intermediate

I bought the Eibach Springs and then the Tein coliovers. Eibachs are gone! TEINs are the way to go!
Old 02-23-2005, 08:10 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Originally Posted by NO BRKS
I bought the Eibach Springs and then the Tein coliovers. Eibachs are gone! TEINs are the way to go!
Did you go with the Basic or Superstreet??? Plus how much stiffer are the coilover compare to stock? Did you have any problems evening the height for all four??
Old 02-23-2005, 09:17 PM
Silky Smooth

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm going with Tein Superstreet, ed99 do it right go with the coilovers you wont be dissapointed! I had the A-Spec Suspension earlier on my car and that is also a coilover, and it made a huge difference, I think another $450 in the handling department is worth it.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:12 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lokius
I'm going with Tein Superstreet, ed99 do it right go with the coilovers you wont be dissapointed! I had the A-Spec Suspension earlier on my car and that is also a coilover, and it made a huge difference, I think another $450 in the handling department is worth it.
You said that you had the A-Spec suspension and still opted for Tein coilovers? Do you have the Tein Basic now and are moving to the Tein Superstreet?

I'm looking for opinions of those who had the A-Spec suspension and still opted to get Tein Coilovers or anything else for that matter.

Anyone mix set ups (ie. A-Spec in the rear and Comptech springs up front)?

As to coilovers vs. lowering springs, I too would go coilovers. You may have to get a camber kit though.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Silky Smooth

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the A-Spec, I had an issue with it, and just got a refund. I'm currently without a suspension modification, and I am waiting till my wheels and brakes go on my car, to put on the Tein Super Streets w/ EDFC. I will write up a comparison after I get teh Tein's installed.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:26 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Originally Posted by chusteveb
You said that you had the A-Spec suspension and still opted for Tein coilovers? Do you have the Tein Basic now and are moving to the Tein Superstreet?

I'm looking for opinions of those who had the A-Spec suspension and still opted to get Tein Coilovers or anything else for that matter.

Anyone mix set ups (ie. A-Spec in the rear and Comptech springs up front)?

As to coilovers vs. lowering springs, I too would go coilovers. You may have to get a camber kit though.

Lokius,

I think your right...I should go with the TEIN Basic as I will probably regret not doing it. However a few shops told me TEIN products are not stiff enough and the spring will later sag. I don't believe what they say because everyone that has TEIN products love it. So I will go order a set soon!! Thanks bud!!
Old 02-24-2005, 06:06 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ed99
Lokius,

I think your right...I should go with the TEIN Basic as I will probably regret not doing it. However a few shops told me TEIN products are not stiff enough and the spring will later sag. I don't believe what they say because everyone that has TEIN products love it. So I will go order a set soon!! Thanks bud!!
I have used Tein coilovers in the past and was not extremely happy with them. I think of Tein as an entry level company. I do so when compared to companies such as JIC Magic, Cusco (personal favorite), Zeal, and HKS. These companies have set the standards for coilovers IMO. However, none of those companies offer an application for th '04+ TL. This is where Tein comes in against the competition.

I have been debating myself. Should I go with the A-spec or go for the Tein's and give them another shot? This is what I have to decide for myself.

Here are the Pros and Cons of both:

1. Tein offers height adjustability where as A-spec doesn't.

2. A-spec is probably going to give a better smoother ride due to a Progressive rate spring. Tein uses a Linear rate spring that will be stiff all the time.

3. Reliabilty is definitely a plus for the A-spec suspension! Tein may need to be rebuilt within 2-5 years.

4. Tein does not offer a Flex system and the locking rings on both the Basic's and SS's are aluminum mated to stainless sleaves. This can cause a corrosion effect if not treated with a marine lubricant quite frequently. I have seen the locking rings break/crumble on Teins. The A-spec doesn't have locking rings so this obviously isn't a problem for them.

5. Dealerships may be reluctant to repair/replace suspension parts that may or may not go bad if the car is equipped with Tein's. However, since the A-spec is a factory suspension option any problems that may arise will be covered by the dealership.

6. Tein's are dead sexy A-spec looks factory.

7. Camber may be an issue with the Tein's depending on how low you go with them. More than likely anyone that goes with the Tein's are going to lower the car more than he A-spec anyways. Since more than likely this will be the case then the camber kits are going to be a must.

8. There is a possibility that the Tein's will be louder/noiser due to their design compared to the A-spec.

9. Basics will give you pretty much an adjustable ride height with a preset dampening and rebound. Super streets will give you the ability to adjust the dampening. This could wear out the shocks/struts faster depending on how you set them. A-spec is a straight forward install you just set them in place and forget about them.

10. ????

11. Profit!
Old 02-24-2005, 06:36 AM
Acurazine Addict

^^^ Nice write up.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

What was the problem with your A-Spec? Who sold you the kit?

Originally Posted by Lokius
I had the A-Spec, I had an issue with it, and just got a refund. I'm currently without a suspension modification, and I am waiting till my wheels and brakes go on my car, to put on the Tein Super Streets w/ EDFC. I will write up a comparison after I get teh Tein's installed.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:36 AM
Racer

So nobody as of now has gone from A-Spec to anything else?
Old 02-24-2005, 12:23 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by da_illist_onE
^^^ Nice write up.

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2005, 12:44 PM
Reppin' for tha DPG

Eibach Pro-kit VS. Coil Overs?

I kinda understand the basics between these 2 different lowering systems. I had the Prokit b4 on my '98 Accord V6-Cpe, and I loved it. Besides the fact I had to spend $$$ for a Camber Kit and new shocks, the kit was rather inexpensive.

I've seen alot of pixx of TL's with Coil Overs, and they look great!

My question:

Is the main reason people go with the Coil Over because they are "adjustable"? ..

From what I've read, the coil-overs are a bit stiffer than a kit.. Is that true? I guess for a more "performance" driven ride perhaps?..

I want to go with a Pro-kit as my TL is an everyday car and I plan to throw on some 19's this summer. I had 18's on my Accord with the kit and I never had any problems. I just wanted to hear what you guys think as I can see you all are more knowledgable about this subject than I am.

P.S. - ..... whats your on an A-Spec kit w/ coilovers OR w/pro-kit?

Old 02-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by RawDogg
I kinda understand the basics between these 2 different lowering systems. I had the Prokit b4 on my '98 Accord V6-Cpe, and I loved it. Besides the fact I had to spend $$$ for a Camber Kit and new shocks, the kit was rather inexpensive.

I've seen alot of pixx of TL's with Coil Overs, and they look great!

My question:

Is the main reason people go with the Coil Over because they are "adjustable"? ..

From what I've read, the coil-overs are a bit stiffer than a kit.. Is that true? I guess for a more "performance" driven ride perhaps?..

I want to go with a Pro-kit as my TL is an everyday car and I plan to throw on some 19's this summer. I had 18's on my Accord with the kit and I never had any problems. I just wanted to hear what you guys think as I can see you all are more knowledgable about this subject than I am.

P.S. - ..... whats your on an A-Spec kit w/ coilovers OR w/pro-kit?

Yes, adjustability is the main reason that people go with Coilovers. However coilovers are also better for people that track or auto-x their cars. The reason for this is adjustability and linear rate springs so you get less body roll.

Another reason to get the A-spec kit or Coilovers is so that you get a matched spring shock/strut combo. This will give you a better ride and less chance of premature wear.

What the hell do you mean with that P.S.?
Old 02-24-2005, 02:30 PM
Reppin' for tha DPG

I've saw a post of a TL, and the guy said he had Tein Coilovers AND an Aspec body kit??.... It didnt make sense AT ALL to me.... but I figured I'd ask ya'll since I dont know too much about that stuff.....
Old 02-24-2005, 02:34 PM
Reppin' for tha DPG

maybe he installed the body kit alone and then dropped it with the tein ss basics?....
Old 02-24-2005, 03:00 PM
Now with i-Vtec

That's exactly what he did. I have the A-spec body kit but may not go with the A-spec suspension.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:04 PM
Reppin' for tha DPG

AHHHHHH GOTCHA!!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Since i don't like to jump in the band wagon, what do you guys think about the H&R Sport springs, lowers 1.4 front and 1.3 rear? With their race springs they advise you to get new shocks. and who makes good gas shocks? koni or tokico?
Old 02-24-2005, 04:02 PM
Reppin' for tha DPG

Sorry to keep asking questions, but this thread is teaching me alot!...JDM5lugHatch thankx for all the info

What do you guys think of getting the A-spec body kit only and then dropping it with an Eibach pro-kit?
Old 02-24-2005, 04:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

I would drop it first before getting any body kit
Old 02-24-2005, 04:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

I've had H&Rs on my different cars. I like them so much. Never had any issues with sagging, rust or the like. The Race springs can be noisy, but still OK for me.

The problem is, I don't think anyone makes shocks/struts for the TL right now. Not Koni, not Tokico, not KYB. Konis are generally built better and perform better than Tokicos, IMO.

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
Since i don't like to jump in the band wagon, what do you guys think about the H&R Sport springs, lowers 1.4 front and 1.3 rear? With their race springs they advise you to get new shocks. and who makes good gas shocks? koni or tokico?
Old 02-24-2005, 04:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

A friend of mine dropped his car with Pro-kit and honestly I don't really like it. It gives the impression that the back of the car is lower than the front. It's because the rear fenderwell gap is less than the front, stock.

I'd get something that drop the front lower than the back to create the impression that the car is level.

Originally Posted by RawDogg
Sorry to keep asking questions, but this thread is teaching me alot!...JDM5lugHatch thankx for all the info

What do you guys think of getting the A-spec body kit only and then dropping it with an Eibach pro-kit?
Old 02-24-2005, 05:01 PM
Reppin' for tha DPG

I was thinking of 1.5" in front & 1.0" in the back....I had this same drop on my 98 Accord and it looked sick. But, I'm not too sure how it would look on a TL b/c my Accord as a 2 door and the TL of course it a bit bigger w/4. ....
Old 02-24-2005, 05:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

You can measure the fender gaps, front and rear, then imagine it if the gaps narrow to 1.5" or whatever inches your springs will lower your car.

If not, jack up 1 corner so the other corner across the car compresses, so you can see how it looks when it's lowered.

I think 1.5 and 1.0 is about perfect. The thing is, noone makes it in this spec. You have to go coilover route so you have full height adjustability.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
I would drop it first before getting any body kit

I dunno if it really makes a difference. I went with the A-spec kit and have not decide on what suspension setup to go with yet. Hmm might not get anything........ok thats doubtful.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think it just looks better that way, looks more aggressive/sporty
Old 02-25-2005, 02:39 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

[QUOTE=JDM5lugHatch]I have used Tein coilovers in the past and was not extremely happy with them. I think of Tein as an entry level company. I do so when compared to companies such as JIC Magic, Cusco (personal favorite), Zeal, and HKS. These companies have set the standards for coilovers IMO. However, none of those companies offer an application for th '04+ TL. This is where Tein comes in against the competition.

3. Reliabilty is definitely a plus for the A-spec suspension! Tein may need to be rebuilt within 2-5 years.

Thanks for the info above. It is well written and explained. BUt I have one concern about the TEIN Basics. YOu said the TEIN coilovers will probably last 2-5yrs in terms of the shocks???? That was one of the main reason why I went from thinking of buying H&R racing (2inch Front/1.75inch Rear) to TEIN. Ppl were telling me that our OEM shocks will not last very long if I go for the H&R racing. So I figure I better go with TEIN coilovers since it comes with a stiffer shock and the travel distant is made perfect for the springs. So if what you said is true about replacing the TEIN shocks in 2-5yrs then I mine as well just go with H&R racing and wear off my OEM shocks since the TEIN's will not last much longer correct??? I am just finding a way not to waste $$$.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Im with you ed99, I think we should get the H&R springs on our oem shocks, eventually we can replace it with aftermarket shocks when its out.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:18 AM
Now with i-Vtec

[QUOTE=ed99]
Originally Posted by JDM5lugHatch
I have used Tein coilovers in the past and was not extremely happy with them. I think of Tein as an entry level company. I do so when compared to companies such as JIC Magic, Cusco (personal favorite), Zeal, and HKS. These companies have set the standards for coilovers IMO. However, none of those companies offer an application for th '04+ TL. This is where Tein comes in against the competition.

Thanks for the info above. It is well written and explained. BUt I have one concern about the TEIN Basics. YOu said the TEIN coilovers will probably last 2-5yrs in terms of the shocks???? That was one of the main reason why I went from thinking of buying H&R racing (2inch Front/1.75inch Rear) to TEIN. Ppl were telling me that our OEM shocks will not last very long if I go for the H&R racing. So I figure I better go with TEIN coilovers since it comes with a stiffer shock and the travel distant is made perfect for the springs. So if what you said is true about replacing the TEIN shocks in 2-5yrs then I mine as well just go with H&R racing and wear off my OEM shocks since the TEIN's will not last much longer correct??? I am just finding a way not to waste $$$.

Well the problem with going H&R race springs is that you are going to wear out pretty much any shock/strut prematurely due to where the piston is traveling. The optimal spot for the piston to travel is in the center if it is more so at the bottom you have more chances of bottoming out and wearing out the seals on the shocks/struts.

While your Teins may last longer than that if you visit any number of boards and read reviews on Tein's you will see that they usually need a rebuild within 2-5 years. A lot of this comes from how you drive your car too. If you drive you car slammed and super agressive your Teins will wear out much faster than if the car is mildly lowered and drivin somewhat aggressive.

Idealy I would like to see some of the better Companies (Zeal would be a good match for this car) bring out a setup for this car. This way you can lower the car and not affect where the piston travels in the shock. Reason being that you can lower the entire shock body versus just the spring. The Tein Flex's do allow you to lower the entire shock body versus just the spring however, they don't offer an application for the TL yet. This alows you to get the preload on the spring that you need to get a good ride.

It's a big decision to make for me at least. I know the basics will give a slightly stiffer ride however, will it be too stiff? The TL is a heavy car so maybe it won't be so bad. Another thing to note any matched spring shock/strut combo is going to be better than any spring just mated to a shock/strut.

~Chris
Old 02-26-2005, 03:45 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Well the problem with going H&R race springs is that you are going to wear out pretty much any shock/strut prematurely due to where the piston is traveling. The optimal spot for the piston to travel is in the center if it is more so at the bottom you have more chances of bottoming out and wearing out the seals on the shocks/struts.

While your Teins may last longer than that if you visit any number of boards and read reviews on Tein's you will see that they usually need a rebuild within 2-5 years. A lot of this comes from how you drive your car too. If you drive you car slammed and super agressive your Teins will wear out much faster than if the car is mildly lowered and drivin somewhat aggressive.

Idealy I would like to see some of the better Companies (Zeal would be a good match for this car) bring out a setup for this car. This way you can lower the car and not affect where the piston travels in the shock. Reason being that you can lower the entire shock body versus just the spring. The Tein Flex's do allow you to lower the entire shock body versus just the spring however, they don't offer an application for the TL yet. This alows you to get the preload on the spring that you need to get a good ride.

It's a big decision to make for me at least. I know the basics will give a slightly stiffer ride however, will it be too stiff? The TL is a heavy car so maybe it won't be so bad. Another thing to note any matched spring shock/strut combo is going to be better than any spring just mated to a shock/strut.

~Chris

If I was to lower the TEIN Basic at around 2inch front and 1.75inch rear and is a daily driver and sometimes will drive hard for the fun of it..How long would the shocks last compare to the H&R racing springs with OEM shock set-up?? PLus how much would it be to rebuild the coilover or would you have to buy a whole new coilover kit? Maybe buying the TEIN basic might cost alot more in the long run compare to just putting lowering springs in the TL w/OEM shocks until they wear out. Would you know when the TEIN flex will be available for our TL and how much more would it be compare to TEIN basic $700.00. Thanks!!
Old 02-26-2005, 06:24 AM
Now with i-Vtec

If I was to lower the TEIN Basic at around 2inch front and 1.75inch rear and is a daily driver and sometimes will drive hard for the fun of it..How long would the shocks last compare to the H&R racing springs with OEM shock set-up?? PLus how much would it be to rebuild the coilover or would you have to buy a whole new coilover kit? Maybe buying the TEIN basic might cost alot more in the long run compare to just putting lowering springs in the TL w/OEM shocks until they wear out. Would you know when the TEIN flex will be available for our TL and how much more would it be compare to TEIN basic $700.00. Thanks!!

Last night I decided to visit all the top coilover companies to see if they have an application for the TL. Unfortunately Tein is the only company. However, one company that I visited has a setup for the '03+ accord. The company is Ksport and their coilover system is a bit more expensive at $1300. Now if memory serves me correctly '03+ accord should fit the TL correct? If so their system will allow you to lower the car without touching the preload set by the spring by letting you lower the shock body itself. Here is their system http://ksportusa.com/products/ksport...lications.html .
I don't know anything about this company but the quality of their product looks to be pretty good.

As far as how long the Tein basics will last lowered at 2" is hard to say. When you buy Tein coilovers they come with instructions that recommend where to set the drop at. If you go lower than the recommended you are possibly going to wear the shocks/struts out prematurely. I would say that you are still better off going with the Tein basics unless Ksports system will work on the TL (more research is needed). The main thing is to make sure you get a matched setup. I have owned many cars in the past all which have been lowered and all that had new shocks/struts and springs or coilovers installed. Do it right the first time and you shouldn't have to do it again.

~Chris
Old 02-26-2005, 03:53 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Last night I decided to visit all the top coilover companies to see if they have an application for the TL. Unfortunately Tein is the only company. However, one company that I visited has a setup for the '03+ accord. The company is Ksport and their coilover system is a bit more expensive at $1300. Now if memory serves me correctly '03+ accord should fit the TL correct? If so their system will allow you to lower the car without touching the preload set by the spring by letting you lower the shock body itself. Here is their system http://ksportusa.com/products/ksport...lications.html .
I don't know anything about this company but the quality of their product looks to be pretty good.

As far as how long the Tein basics will last lowered at 2" is hard to say. When you buy Tein coilovers they come with instructions that recommend where to set the drop at. If you go lower than the recommended you are possibly going to wear the shocks/struts out prematurely. I would say that you are still better off going with the Tein basics unless Ksports system will work on the TL (more research is needed). The main thing is to make sure you get a matched setup. I have owned many cars in the past all which have been lowered and all that had new shocks/struts and springs or coilovers installed. Do it right the first time and you shouldn't have to do it again.

~Chris

Thanks for the info Chris and I am planning in going for the TEIN Basic for my TL.
Just have one concern in going with Coilovers is has you ever or someone you know come across where the Coilover has ceased up. Meaning if I don't adjust my lowering for a couple yrs and later wanted to adjust the height more or less but I can't because I can't turn the adjuster to adjust the height??? And another concern would be is it hard to adjust all four height to be perfect because it is manually adjusted for the height. Thanks again Chris!!!
Old 02-26-2005, 09:27 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Thanks for the info Chris and I am planning in going for the TEIN Basic for my TL.
Just have one concern in going with Coilovers is has you ever or someone you know come across where the Coilover has ceased up. Meaning if I don't adjust my lowering for a couple yrs and later wanted to adjust the height more or less but I can't because I can't turn the adjuster to adjust the height??? And another concern would be is it hard to adjust all four height to be perfect because it is manually adjusted for the height. Thanks again Chris!!!

As far as the collars seizing yes it does happen. Use a Marine lubricant every 2-6 months on the sleaves/collars to prevent seizing. As far as adjusting goes I would go by what the instructions say (if they are in english). Or as a rule of thumb you can lower the collars all the way to the bottom mark the collar and then wind it up till it's centered. Then mark the others and screw them up the same number of times. Also you may want to go up 1-2 turns extra on the driver side if you drive solo most of the time. Plus the gas tank and other things like the battery are on that side as well. This should give you an even drop. If you want it perfect try to find a race shop that can corner weight the car. Fill it up with gas and sit in the car while they adjust it so that every corner weights nearly the same.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:05 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Thanks dude!!! I will be going to a few shops here in Vancouver to check out the prices here!!! I think they are going for $1000 cdn for the coilover kit here. That is equivalent to roughly $800 US.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:01 PM
Now with i-Vtec

I can get them for $700 shipped US from http://www.worldoneperformance.com/ . They are a subaru oriented company but they sent me an PM with that price. You can also try joining www.nasioc.com/forums and sending them a PM through there as it might be required to get the special pricing they are offering.

Quick Reply: Lowering Springs Or Coil Overs???????