Loud screeching noise on front right tires. could it be rotor or peace of rock?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:20 PM
:)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud screeching noise on front right tires. could it be rotor or peace of rock?

Hey guys,

I'm driving down the street last week and all of a sudden my car begins to make a horrible screeching/grinding noise. It sounded like it was coming from the front right area.

I pull over; it stops. I get out of the car and look all over, the rotors, under the car, my coilovers, swaybar endlinks, everything. Everything seems fine. I proceed to drive again, and the sound start right back up. Basically when I move, it screeched.

I pull over again into a parking lot. I then proceed to drive at about 10 mph and make hard left and right turns. (like at the beginning of a race to keep positioning) Then all of a sudden, it stop completely and everything is back to normal but then it still make screech noise one a while. I have yet to get under the car and take a look, but the car drives fine and handles perfectly as always.

My guess?

A rock got stuck between the inside of a brake rotor, and the rotor's dust/heat shield. Has this happened to anyone else?

The screech sound it made sounded exactly like a rock grinding against a thing piece of metal. (as opposed to a chunk of metal, it made a hollow sound)

i only have this car 21,000 miles with aftermarket rims and a-spec supension, i don't want to go to the dealer because i'm scare they will void my warranty, so any suggestion or clue? please leave inputs
Old 06-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Brake wear sensors?
Old 06-05-2009, 08:59 PM
:)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NetDiver
Brake wear sensors?
don't think so, my brake is pretty fine but i don't have tmps on my aftermarket wheels, but that doesn't affect the screeching noise
Old 06-06-2009, 01:31 AM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jchuong123
Hey guys,

I'm driving down the street last week and all of a sudden my car begins to make a horrible screeching/grinding noise. It sounded like it was coming from the front right area.

I pull over; it stops. I get out of the car and look all over, the rotors, under the car, my coilovers, swaybar endlinks, everything. Everything seems fine. I proceed to drive again, and the sound start right back up. Basically when I move, it screeched.

I pull over again into a parking lot. I then proceed to drive at about 10 mph and make hard left and right turns. (like at the beginning of a race to keep positioning) Then all of a sudden, it stop completely and everything is back to normal but then it still make screech noise one a while. I have yet to get under the car and take a look, but the car drives fine and handles perfectly as always.

My guess?

A rock got stuck between the inside of a brake rotor, and the rotor's dust/heat shield. Has this happened to anyone else?

The screech sound it made sounded exactly like a rock grinding against a thing piece of metal. (as opposed to a chunk of metal, it made a hollow sound)

i only have this car 21,000 miles with aftermarket rims and a-spec supension, i don't want to go to the dealer because i'm scare they will void my warranty, so any suggestion or clue? please leave inputs
Definitely could be the problem.

This brings me back to the time when we had cruise up in the hills with a/z members.. One of the members (desper) actually got a rcok stuck in the rotors/brakes.. Made the noise that you were talking about..

Jack the car up, take the wheels out and see what's wrong with it!
Old 06-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
got the same thing today but i think my pads are gone.... but the screeching noise is insane