Loose Rear Strut! WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
This is a bit disconcerting since I have the CT RSB on order.... hopefully I can lube it up enough to avoid most of the clunking ..

is there anyone out there w/ the CT RSB that has NO clunking?
Peter,

No clunking here. I had the clanging noise once only because I didn't torque the end link nuts tight enough. Once they were retightened, all was well. I do need to lube up the bushings with marine grease though as mine are moaning and groaning going over speedbumps lately. Other than that, they have been trouble free.

dsc888
Old 05-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by ANTHONY741
What is the CT RSB- I have original car (04 TL)- no mods and have thisn issue
Comptech Rear Sway Bar...

I've got one AND the issue... Still investigating the clunk.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
DSC --

did you ever resolve that clunk you had w/ the front coilovers? And have you done your rear coilovers yet?
Old 05-03-2005, 08:44 PM
Burning Brakes

DSC --

did you ever resolve that clunk you had w/ the front coilovers? And have you done your rear coilovers yet?
I will be putting in the rears tomorrow since I will have help. The clunk seems to have subsided and I can't seem to hear it anymore. I am wondering if it has something to do with the new springs not properly seated or something on the strut. Perhaps driving it over bumps eventually re-seated it properly. I tried hard as hell to hear it with the windows down today while driving but couldn't I will not touch them unless the noise comes back. Thanks for asking, PeterUbers. I will post a full review of the suspension once it is all in. I can't wait!

dsc888
Old 05-05-2005, 06:44 AM
Advanced

My Situation Update

The dealer replaced my passenger rear strut and the thump is gone--they also replaced my upper storage tray due to the fact it rattled like crazy in the cold weather
Old 05-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Safety Car

Will be installing the CT RSB today -- will post pics and will discuss any clunks if they arise.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Will be installing the CT RSB today -- will post pics and will discuss any clunks if they arise.
Good luck... Wait till u feel the ride... Pursuant to Anthony's msg aboce, I wanna get under there and take a look at the struts and see what I can see as well...

Anthony: Could you see anything wrong with the strut??? Was it leaking or anything like that?
Old 05-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Burning Brakes

PeterUbers, you'll love the RSB. Don't forget to lube up the bushings with some good old marine grease. I relubed mine yesterday after I finished my A-spec suspension install and boy is she quiet now over the bumps. Have fun. Your car will feel nothing like the day you took delivery.

dsc888
Old 05-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Safety Car

DSC .. I can't wait. Where can I buy the grease? Is it easy to re-lube bushings?
Old 05-05-2005, 11:42 AM
Burning Brakes

DSC .. I can't wait. Where can I buy the grease? Is it easy to re-lube bushings?
You can get the grease at Autozone or even at Walmart. Go to the automotive section. They come in these little tub containers that Planter peanuts get packaged in. I have the Valvoline Marine synthetic grease. It works on suspension pieces and even with the sliding pins when you do a brake job.

And yes, greasing and regreasing is a piece of cake. You simply remove the brakets that hold the bushings in place, remove the bushings, recoat the bushings and reinstall. It's a 5 minute job. Shuts up all the moaning that occurs due to the harder rubber bushings that Comptech provides. Bushings have to be harder to be more effective at controlling body roll. But the side effect is icreased noise. Good luck.

dsc888
Old 05-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Advanced

I didn't get under the car until I was with tech at dealership- he reached under the wheel well and felt it leaking.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:15 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2002 TL with CompTech sway bars has the occasional "clunk" on bumpy roads, speed bumps, but not much on turns. Interestingly, when its wet, it doesn't seem to make the noise. I got under there and "re-mounted" the rear sway and greased it myself about 5 times over 3 months and adjusted the clips, but it didn't seem to always "fix" the clunk noise. When I first installed the CompTech bars, it was the front that slid from side to side on turns which made a click or knocking noise when the bar clips hit the mounting brackets. But after adjusting and tightening the plastic limit clips many times, I got the fronts to settle down and be quiet. But the current noise appears to be in the read. Adjusting the clips tension or location and greasing the mount brackets does seem to solve the "clunk" noise.

So I had suspension experts check out the rear suspension and bounce the car, back up and stop, and then lift the whole rear end and pry one wheel up at a time. They found that the left rear shock had about 1" of play in it, where it could easily be lifted and dropped without offering much "shock" resistance. The recommendation was to change shocks. But they also tweaked the rear bar (not sure what they moved), and it cleared up the noise for a couple of weeks and it doesn't clunk as much. I haven't changed shocks yet, but am planning to soon.

My right rear swar bar mounting bracket was really bent forward like a Y split tear in the metal. I assumed it was from my hard driving, and it may have given out on one of my fast freeway exit left turns, where I almost lost it. A couple days after I noticed the bent bracket, the 6" link to it broke off completely perhaps from all this jacking up and down. I wondered if those short 6" plastic ball links are part of the noise problem. I heard there is a service bulletin on the links breaking, but have not found it.

I'm still trying to chase down the occasional clunk noise on bumps. I don't think its the CompTech bars anymore. It may be a bad rear shock, but this will cost about $1K to upgrade them all before I find out. It anyone knows more, let me know.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Racer

I finally took my car to the dealer for the 2nd time to fix this “clap” noise from the rear suspension. I already had my toe replaced because of the noise. After that fix I got my RSB installed. The sound only happens when going over a bump or holes. They said it was normal so I took the demo car for a spin. Surprise!! No clapping noise from that one.

I had the same noise before I installed my Comptech swaybar, and I still have the noise now. The tech is trying to pin point at the fact that it maybe my aftermarket swaybar making this noise.

Try this at home. Go over speed bump going 5 mpg. The back side will make this noise.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

I have the comptech RSB and A-spec suspension. I do not and did not have these sounds that are being described in the thread. I go over speed bumps at least 6 times a day on days that I work. Wish I could point you in some direction but I can't. Are you sure it isn't something in the rear deck? Maybe the spare tire area ( I know someone took that out - was it you?).
Old 07-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by jhan1102
I finally took my car to the dealer for the 2nd time to fix this “clap” noise from the rear suspension. I already had my toe replaced because of the noise. After that fix I got my RSB installed. The sound only happens when going over a bump or holes. They said it was normal so I took the demo car for a spin. Surprise!! No clapping noise from that one.

I had the same noise before I installed my Comptech swaybar, and I still have the noise now. The tech is trying to pin point at the fact that it maybe my aftermarket swaybar making this noise.

Try this at home. Go over speed bump going 5 mpg. The back side will make this noise.
I got it... 100%... Same exact thing. It is NOT the RSB.

I *think* PeterUbers found the culprit and posted in another thread. I think it was the middle rear seat belt tensioner and involved removing the rear seat to fix. As long as it isn't anything "bad" I'll live with the noise cause there aint no way I'm taking all that time to take out the back seat!!!

Let your dealer know about that and see what he says. I'll see if I can find the thread and link to it here soon.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DarkWraith33
I got it... 100%... Same exact thing. It is NOT the RSB.

I *think* PeterUbers found the culprit and posted in another thread. I think it was the middle rear seat belt tensioner and involved removing the rear seat to fix. As long as it isn't anything "bad" I'll live with the noise cause there aint no way I'm taking all that time to take out the back seat!!!

Let your dealer know about that and see what he says. I'll see if I can find the thread and link to it here soon.

But my noise is from out side, right side, rear suspension.

what is culprit?

Is the middle rear seat belt tensioner noise be inside?
Old 07-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Oh my noise SOUNDS like that too, as did PeterUbers from what I can recall... Remember you're driving and being 100% sure where that sound comes from isn't... Well... 100%... Lemme find that thread...
Old 07-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by jhan1102
But my noise is from out side, right side, rear suspension.

what is culprit?

Is the middle rear seat belt tensioner noise be inside?
FOUND IT... Read this my friend....

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/word-origin-110412/

THOUGHTS???
Old 07-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
FOUND IT... Read this my friend....

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110412

THOUGHTS???
I would recommend checking this out, as well. I have the ASPEC suspension and CT RSB, and there's no noise on mine, either...I go over speed humps at anywhere from 25 to 35, the curb in front of my driveway is like a cliff, and the road between my house and work looks like a road in Baghdad.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:46 PM
Racer

Thanks DarkWraith33 for the link. You are cool guy!

I just called the dealer and they are ordering new shocks. I think right rear suspension is being worked on. I would like to ask the tech to do this fix from the link, but they are going to say the sound is coming from the outside so they prob. will not do it.

I am not concern because 3 shocks will be old and 1 will be new. I think one side will be higher and wear out my tires unevenly. I only have 4200 miles so maybe I shouldn’t worry too much.

I’ll keep you guys updated. =)
Old 07-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Racer

Well folks, pursuant to my pics above. I've done a little more digging into this noise. I took everything outta the trunk: spare, trunk tray, etc... Anything I could get out is out. Noise remained (which I suspected)...

A telling occurence of the thud occured while I was testing in the above conditions. I made a turn over a small bump, such that my rear suspension was tweaked, i.e. right rear up more than left rear due to the bump. After coming off the bump (not during), about 1 second later I got the thud while basically on straight and level ground. Clear as day.

Went to my friends where we jacked her up and looked at everything. Nothing is loose, nothing has marks to suggest something making contact... No missing dirt, no nicks, etc... The ONLY thing with tell-tale marks of movement is the Comptech rear sway bar (as seen above.) I am almost convinced... DAMN NEAR 100%. That this thud/clank is somehow coming from the sway bar and its side to side movement during driving.

As I lubed and greased the bushings during the install and the directions did not call for that, we dropped the bushings and cleaned them good. NO MORE LUBE at all, and reassembled. I read above someone else with the clunk had also lubed? (Coincidence?? I'm all for other ideas at this point) I only got 5 miles on the car after the de-lubing, but I didn't hear the noise... Further driving will tell the tale.

Final observations as of now: I am almost sure the sound is related to the Comptech RSB. There is nothing else it could be. Sounds occurs at low speed over small bumps sometimes, where my suspension is only in a very small amount of travel so nothing is hitting/bottoming, etc.

I don't believe anything is being harmed in this manner. It is simply the RSB moving left/right as seen above. I never noticed with stock bar, but I never drove sans radio. I am tempted to throw the old rsb on and see if sound goes away.

Ubers.. Perhaps you are this adventurous??? I'll bet you a beer if you remove the RSB and replace with stock the sound goes away!

Questions: Anyone got the thud/clank and NOT have the comptech RSB??? Anyone got the thud/clank and NOT lube your RSB install?

THOUGHTS people?
Did this fix your problem?

I had this noise before I got my RSB.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:59 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

LOL... My "DAMN NEAR 100%"............ Wrong am I...

Did not fix, nor do I still believe the sway bar is the problem...

Live and learn!
Old 07-07-2005, 06:32 AM
Advanced

TO jhan1102

I replaced the passenger rear strut. Mine appeared to be a slow leak
Old 07-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ANTHONY741
I replaced the passenger rear strut. Mine appeared to be a slow leak

thank you~ =)
Old 12-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Instructor

has anyone tried a thin foam or even dynamte on the rear struts at the top where they mount to the car, b/c think of this the two bolts that hold it at the top the metal plate that is holding the spring in place rest under the metal body of the car, when you hit bumps it makes the noise.
1)you could make sure the top 2 strut nuts are tight
2)or you could put a thin layer of a sound deadining material b/n them and this may help
Old 12-03-2005, 08:21 PM
Racer

2004 w/ comptech rsb and thunking from rear. i did the 5 page tsb repairs myself...

i did notice the frquency seems to increase as the fuel tank gets empty. perhaps it's the attitude change as the suspension becomes unloaded?

i'll re-lube and see what happens-
Old 12-04-2005, 03:05 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Mine was making the same clunking noises but after the dealer cleaned off the lubricant on the RSB, it stopped making the noises. The struts were fine.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:39 AM
Dr. Feelgood

Mine happens only on the rear passanger side when I go over a bump. The sound came up after the dealer replaced my strut on that side. It is a little higher than the other side. Probably because it's new?
Old 12-06-2005, 11:53 PM
Instructor

any updates or resolutions?
Old 12-07-2005, 12:13 AM
10th Gear

Yes!

I had this same problem, but I never brought it in. My friend wrecked my car this past weekend and I brought it in and I asked the tech about the problem; and supposely, there are a lot of people out there w/this issue.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:29 PM
Instructor

i had this problem also, i took some dynmat which is used for rattles from car stereo and cut it out for the top of the rear struts, i then reinstalled them and this fixed my noise/rattle/clunking 100%
Old 12-10-2005, 01:48 AM
Banned

so after reading all that, are dealers covering this "mysterious" thud/clunk under warranty? I am having the same problem, and have the CSB installed. I'm trying to weigh my options here as to what I should do.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lore
Mine was making the same clunking noises but after the dealer cleaned off the lubricant on the RSB, it stopped making the noises. The struts were fine.
Lore,

I'll have to try your fix when this frigid Boston weather passes. I too have the CT RSB with the A-spec suspension. I noticed some pretty awful clunking over over potholes or bumps. Funny thing is that if BOTH wheels went over a speed bump, there is NO clunk. But if one side went over, you get the clunk. I guessed swaybar right away. My original theory was that the rubber bushings had shrunk as the weather got colder and no longer gripped the bar as firmly. I too had marine grease on my bushings. I'll update once I clean them off.

dsc888
Old 12-14-2005, 08:31 PM
10th Gear

My Comptech RSB made no noises for the first couple of months, then started clunking over bumps. I removed and replaced the RSB with the original - no clunk. I did a search on this site and reinstalled the Comptech RSB after using marine grease. Worked great for 2 weeks - then clunks again. Works great, but I can't stand the noise. I am currently using the OEM again.

The rubber bushings from Comptech are much harder than stock. I wonder if a softer bushing would dampen the clunk? I guess we should all call Comptech and start complaining.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Snafu_1
The rubber bushings from Comptech are much harder than stock. I wonder if a softer bushing would dampen the clunk? I guess we should all call Comptech and start complaining.
I think you got yourself a good idea here. It seems all of us CT RSB users are suffering from noise issues. Funny thing is that I had an aftermarket TRD RSB on my old Camry and it never clunked. It came with red poly bushings. I had used Teflon tape and marine grease on it and it never heard a squeak or clunk. I understand Comptech's need to use a harder rubber bushing but it seems the material is not well suited for long term use.

dsc888
Old 12-21-2005, 04:49 PM
Modding my TL in

Is there a way to get an Energy Suspension bushing that mimic's that as close to CompTech's as possible and use that?
Old 12-21-2005, 05:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by xcelir8TL
Is there a way to get an Energy Suspension bushing that mimic's that as close to CompTech's as possible and use that?
there aren't many poly bushing manufacturers...it may already be from E-Suspension...its a 22mm bushing...