Loose Rear Strut! WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loose Rear Strut! WTF?

Took my 1 week old TL into the dealer bacause of a rattling (more like clunking/thudding) sound at the rear. Got a call from them saying that they have to change one of the suspension struts. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 04-18-2005, 05:04 PM
Racer

I think that sound is normal. Cuz I had Toe, parking brk. replaced but still there.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Old 04-19-2005, 12:09 PM
Intermediate

Apparently Acura has issued a service bullettin (that the dealer was using as reference) it was 5 pages long and they had to check a number of places -- seatbelt, door, subwoofer were some of what I gleaned from a glance.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Old 04-19-2005, 01:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
oops someone missed something.. 5 pages long.. check and tighten. what the hell goes on at the factory. And people call this normal. if the dealer cannot fix it, it is normal. Or it is a normal problem with a poorly designed/assembled car..
Old 04-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have that clunk as well I think.... Does anyone have access to the TSB such that I could look at the things they were looking at to see if they are loose? Also, I have the comptech swaybar installed... I wonder if they would argue against any warranty work since it is installed???
Old 04-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by crvlvr
Took my 1 week old TL into the dealer bacause of a rattling (more like clunking/thudding) sound at the rear. Got a call from them saying that they have to change one of the suspension struts. Anyone else have this problem?
Did that clunk happen all the time? Mine only seems to clunk a little when I go over certain bumps... It is somewhat repeatable, but not 100%. I was chalking it up to the sound that the suspension normally makes more than anything.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Well, I called Acura....

And talked to a very nice, helpful service guy at Spitzer Acura in PA....

I explained my similar "thud/clunk" problem and asked if there were any TSB's out on it.

For 05 Acura's, there are currently 13 TSB's out, NONE of which pertain to the TL from what he said (some were MDX, etc...) At least as of yet on his screen about 10 mins ago.

He also stated he did not see one that sounded similar to that problem with the 04 TL's either, so I am not sure about what 5 page long bulletin you are referring to above... If you know the # to the bulletin, that would help a ton!

I wish I could get in another TL and drive it for 10 mins... I would know right away whether the sound was there for everyone or not. That would put my mind at ease....
Old 04-19-2005, 10:10 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i just had something similar on my way home. when im driving slow, just curising or stepping on the brakes lightly, i hear a thunk coming from the passenger side. not sure if its the front or back. sounds like the springs or shocks are loose or something. its a light "thunk" noise.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:47 AM

i jacked up the car to look at it and cant find anything. its annoying, but most bothering is that it sounds dangerous too. i dont have time to take the car to the dealership. crappy american quality
Old 04-20-2005, 02:12 AM
Cruisin'

strange vibration

I notice a sound 120 km 70 miles just doesnt sound right anyone elsehave this promblem ? 05 tl
Old 04-20-2005, 11:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I ripped apart my rear deck today b/c the dealer did that 5 page TSB and fixed a bunch of things, but the "clunk"/metallic rattle is still there over larger bumps.

Here's what I learned:
1) I took off the entire rear deck panel, the C-pillar fascia's, and drove the car around... the sound was definitely isolated to the right side of the car above the rear deck
2) I figured it could be a) the right seat belt tensioner, or 2) this heating/tube-like device on the right c-pillar which i believe is the inflation device for the SRS curtain airbags.
3) After taking off the seat belt tensioner and placing it on the floor .. the sound was still reproduced above the rear deck -- so it was not the seat belt tensioner.
4) I used window insulation (one - side sticky) to soften the metal/metal contacts of this inflation device for the curtain airbags... drove around... still getting that metal noise.
5) Since I didn't have a buddy around to sit in the bag and listen while I drove around w/o the rear deck in place .. i coudln't have someone exactly i.d. the sound location .. but i finally think i know what it is..
6) I think it has to be the inflation device itself... i think inside the cannister.. there is a loose component that is making that noise. There is no other place that I can identify. I'll try again next week .. i'm really getting sick of looking for this rattle.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:36 PM
Safety Car

Oh, and it's not the supsension b/c I just installed the A-spec suspension, and the sound is reproducible and unchanged from pre-aspec suspension.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:10 AM

ok, i had the problem yesterday as reported.... it was there this morning....

then when i went to my new office (got a new job) to sign the offer papers, it went away as soon as i left

ironically enough, the noise started when i went to talk to the recruiter yesterday..... and when i went back and left the parking lot today, its gone.

it was deffinitely there all night last night tho...

i hope a bolt didnt fall off all of a sudden, or whatever was clanking didnt just fall on the road....
Old 04-21-2005, 07:23 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Awesome work Ubers.... Great insight. Wish I was there to help you out! Next time i'm in Vernon Hills on work, I'm callin' you! LOL...

My sound is still there, but I don't ever notice it with radio on. It is not awful or violent. It is somewhat repeatable, but not 100%. The same bump will give it the thud sometimes but not always. Strange...

I feel a smidge better that nothing is "wrong," although I'm still gonna check things out under there. Gee, another rattle or clunk we have to live with? Who'da thought...

Also, Peter... Do you know the # of the TSB you're referring to? As I stated above, my dealer disavowed all knowledge of it.... I'm hoping your dealer wasn't throwing you a line... (or my dealer throwing me a line!!!)
Old 04-21-2005, 08:06 AM
Safety Car

Take this to your dealer and have them do all applicable fixes... they cannot say no to you.
Right click on each page and "Print"
Old 04-21-2005, 08:08 AM
Safety Car

I'm going to do an extensive search for this rattle next weekend -- I'll have TONS OF PICS and instructions on how to find it once I do .. and I promise I'll find it b/c I'll have my rear seat taken out as well as the rear deck removed, and I'll have my brother driving the car while I specifically look for this damn rattle. When I find it -- I'm gunna spray paint it red and then fix it. Tons of pics to follow, I promise.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:09 AM
Safety Car

Oh, and the rear deck comes out easily, it couldn't be more simple. It's designed also to go back in very easily. And don't worry about causing new rattles when taking it out and putting it back in ...
Old 04-21-2005, 08:43 AM
Instructor

Great Post PeterUbers. I know a lot of us are really frustrated with all the rattles in this car, especially this one coming from the rear deck area. I haven't removed my rear seats and rear deck yet but I've done a lot of work in the trunk trying to fix these rattles(thinking that's where these may have been coming from). This rattle is difficult to pinpoint because you have to have someone riding in the back seat. My rattles come and go and when someone else is in the car, the rattles from the rear deck area don't act up so it's hard to figure out where they are. We'll be waiting to hear what you find....
Old 04-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I'm going to do an extensive search for this rattle next weekend -- I'll have TONS OF PICS and instructions on how to find it once I do .. and I promise I'll find it b/c I'll have my rear seat taken out as well as the rear deck removed, and I'll have my brother driving the car while I specifically look for this damn rattle. When I find it -- I'm gunna spray paint it red and then fix it. Tons of pics to follow, I promise.
Mine is more of a thud/clunk than a rattle... We definately talking about the same thing?

Edit: I see above, you do indeed say clunk.... Strange... Can't wait for your results...
Old 04-21-2005, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by DarkWraith33
Mine is more of a thud/clunk than a rattle... We definately talking about the same thing?

Edit: I see above, you do indeed say clunk.... Strange... Can't wait for your results...
i agree, i dont think its the same thing. its deffinitely suspension related for my "thunk". its not a rattle, although i do have a good amount of those too.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:31 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Hmmm

Folks -

What about this one? I got under there today, and as expected, found nothing loose.

One thing I did notice was that my Comptech rear sway bar has moved side to side somewhat, as seen by some grease marks. Perhaps the thud/clunk is the RSB "centering" itself and the associated suspension travel to do so??? Dunno... I DID grease the RSB before putting into the bushings. Take a look at the pics and lemme know your thoughts! You get a real good idea from the first picture... THANKS

Old 04-21-2005, 08:02 PM

hmm, i see what you are saying. but mine didnt happen when i was turning, just when i was going straight in a low speed. its happened randomly, sometimes just before i brake, before i accelerate, as soon as i accelerate, as soon as i let off the gas.... it was odd that it was that random.

im happy to say thats its been gone all day today. no sound at all. i really hope nothing fell off
Old 04-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
hmm, i see what you are saying. but mine didnt happen when i was turning, just when i was going straight in a low speed. its happened randomly, sometimes just before i brake, before i accelerate, as soon as i accelerate, as soon as i let off the gas.... it was odd that it was that random.

im happy to say thats its been gone all day today. no sound at all. i really hope nothing fell off
See... MINE TOO. What I'm thinking is that after we were turning, the RSB was kicked to one side SOMETIMES... When we hit that bump (big, small, it varies), SOMETIMES it is enough to kick the RSB back to center... Get it??? Hence the randomness... I may be stretching here but its a theory!
Old 04-21-2005, 11:02 PM

i could br driving in a straight line, no turning what so ever and it would do it randomly
Old 04-23-2005, 01:50 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Theories abound...

Well folks, pursuant to my pics above. I've done a little more digging into this noise. I took everything outta the trunk: spare, trunk tray, etc... Anything I could get out is out. Noise remained (which I suspected)...

A telling occurence of the thud occured while I was testing in the above conditions. I made a turn over a small bump, such that my rear suspension was tweaked, i.e. right rear up more than left rear due to the bump. After coming off the bump (not during), about 1 second later I got the thud while basically on straight and level ground. Clear as day.

Went to my friends where we jacked her up and looked at everything. Nothing is loose, nothing has marks to suggest something making contact... No missing dirt, no nicks, etc... The ONLY thing with tell-tale marks of movement is the Comptech rear sway bar (as seen above.) I am almost convinced... DAMN NEAR 100%. That this thud/clank is somehow coming from the sway bar and its side to side movement during driving.

As I lubed and greased the bushings during the install and the directions did not call for that, we dropped the bushings and cleaned them good. NO MORE LUBE at all, and reassembled. I read above someone else with the clunk had also lubed? (Coincidence?? I'm all for other ideas at this point) I only got 5 miles on the car after the de-lubing, but I didn't hear the noise... Further driving will tell the tale.

Final observations as of now: I am almost sure the sound is related to the Comptech RSB. There is nothing else it could be. Sounds occurs at low speed over small bumps sometimes, where my suspension is only in a very small amount of travel so nothing is hitting/bottoming, etc.

I don't believe anything is being harmed in this manner. It is simply the RSB moving left/right as seen above. I never noticed with stock bar, but I never drove sans radio. I am tempted to throw the old rsb on and see if sound goes away.

Ubers.. Perhaps you are this adventurous??? I'll bet you a beer if you remove the RSB and replace with stock the sound goes away!

Questions: Anyone got the thud/clank and NOT have the comptech RSB??? Anyone got the thud/clank and NOT lube your RSB install?

THOUGHTS people?
Old 04-23-2005, 08:23 PM

i didnt lube the RSB install. didnt want to. two reason, lazy + didnt want it to slide around. the rubber grommets are rubber for that very reason. holds it in its place with little movement
Old 04-23-2005, 11:36 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
i didnt lube the RSB install. didnt want to. two reason, lazy + didnt want it to slide around. the rubber grommets are rubber for that very reason. holds it in its place with little movement
I hear ya... BUT... You mean to tell me that those grommets have enough rubber to metal friction to keep that sway bar from moving on a 3600 pound vehicle while driving around with all those suspension components moving?

I don't think so Tim.

The RSB is still going to move side to side. The lube would just allow it to be smoother.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:15 AM
Banned

the articulation of the rear arms do not allow for end link strut to move lateral that much ! something is very wrong with your setup !

Folks -

What about this one? I got under there today, and as expected, found nothing loose.

One thing I did notice was that my Comptech rear sway bar has moved side to side somewhat, as seen by some grease marks. Perhaps the thud/clunk is the RSB "centering" itself and the associated suspension travel to do so??? Dunno... I DID grease the RSB before putting into the bushings. Take a look at the pics and lemme know your thoughts! You get a real good idea from the first picture... THANKS

Old 04-24-2005, 02:18 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by PimpaLicious
the articulation of the rear arms do not allow for end link strut to move lateral that much ! something is very wrong with your setup !
You could be right. I think it will be helpful if other Comptech swaybar owners could check their car underneath.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:23 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by rets
You could be right. I think it will be helpful if other Comptech swaybar owners could check their car underneath.
With all due respect... Seeing as there are only 4 bolts to hold on the brackets and the RSB is held to the suspension in 2 places, one on either end...

There is NO POSSIBILITY of the RSB being installed wrong. It's not like it could be installed somewhere or in someway that is incorrect. Nothing else was touched either (suspension-wise...)

So I certainly didn't do anything incorrect... If others look, they will find the same thing I did. I'm sure of it.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:33 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

The Clunk: Episode III Revenge of the Noise

Still there... Not as bad, but it's still there. I'm chalking it up as a loss. I KNOW if I go to dealer, he's gonna pin it on the sway bar, and quite frankly, I am too damn lazy (as of now) to remove the Comptech RSB and put the stock one back in to do some more investigating. I am still convinced its the RSB.

As my car is a lease, we'll see what happens. If it is something terrible, I'll swap out RSBs before going in to the dealer for work to avoid any hassle. If not, it's just a noise I can learn to live with.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Question

Since we have so many Comptech Swaybar TLs, maybe someone would like to take a look and tell us what they see underneath. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:10 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Mine is lubed and mine makes an occasional clunking noise. Mine also has moved from side to side before (as indicated by the build-up of lubricant on one side of the bar, like your photos).
Old 05-03-2005, 06:46 AM
Advanced

Thump

I just came across these message. I have may 04 TL at the dealer right now for this thump. I did a test drive with tech (it accurs when driving on bumpy roads or going over speed bumps). The problem just started occuring in the past few weeks (I have 12K on the car). I already had the rear deck rattles fix so it's not that. The mechanic quickly slide under the car and said it appears the passenger side rear strut is leaking- will know for sure later today.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:00 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by ANTHONY741
I just came across these message. I have may 04 TL at the dealer right now for this thump. I did a test drive with tech (it accurs when driving on bumpy roads or going over speed bumps). The problem just started occuring in the past few weeks (I have 12K on the car). I already had the rear deck rattles fix so it's not that. The mechanic quickly slide under the car and said it appears the passenger side rear strut is leaking- will know for sure later today.
Keep us updated... PICS of where this leak are would be most helpful!!!

Anyone have a page from the manual that might be able to "point out" where this problem area could be so that we could get our noggins under there and take a gander???
Old 05-03-2005, 07:00 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Well folks, pursuant to my pics above. I've done a little more digging into this noise. I took everything outta the trunk: spare, trunk tray, etc... Anything I could get out is out. Noise remained (which I suspected)...

A telling occurence of the thud occured while I was testing in the above conditions. I made a turn over a small bump, such that my rear suspension was tweaked, i.e. right rear up more than left rear due to the bump. After coming off the bump (not during), about 1 second later I got the thud while basically on straight and level ground. Clear as day.

Went to my friends where we jacked her up and looked at everything. Nothing is loose, nothing has marks to suggest something making contact... No missing dirt, no nicks, etc... The ONLY thing with tell-tale marks of movement is the Comptech rear sway bar (as seen above.) I am almost convinced... DAMN NEAR 100%. That this thud/clank is somehow coming from the sway bar and its side to side movement during driving.

As I lubed and greased the bushings during the install and the directions did not call for that, we dropped the bushings and cleaned them good. NO MORE LUBE at all, and reassembled. I read above someone else with the clunk had also lubed? (Coincidence?? I'm all for other ideas at this point) I only got 5 miles on the car after the de-lubing, but I didn't hear the noise... Further driving will tell the tale.

Final observations as of now: I am almost sure the sound is related to the Comptech RSB. There is nothing else it could be. Sounds occurs at low speed over small bumps sometimes, where my suspension is only in a very small amount of travel so nothing is hitting/bottoming, etc.

I don't believe anything is being harmed in this manner. It is simply the RSB moving left/right as seen above. I never noticed with stock bar, but I never drove sans radio. I am tempted to throw the old rsb on and see if sound goes away.

Ubers.. Perhaps you are this adventurous??? I'll bet you a beer if you remove the RSB and replace with stock the sound goes away!

Questions: Anyone got the thud/clank and NOT have the comptech RSB??? Anyone got the thud/clank and NOT lube your RSB install?

THOUGHTS people?
The sway bar is also the suspected cause of the noise on the 2nd generation TL. I have front and rear Comptech sway bars. I'm reinstalling it next weekend and lubricating everything again.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Safety Car

This is a bit disconcerting since I have the CT RSB on order.... hopefully I can lube it up enough to avoid most of the clunking ..

is there anyone out there w/ the CT RSB that has NO clunking?
Old 05-03-2005, 09:49 AM
Advanced

What is the CT RSB- I have original car (04 TL)- no mods and have thisn issue

Quick Reply: Loose Rear Strut! WTF?