Kuhmo or Pirelli

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 09:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kuhmo or Pirelli

I've gotten 30,000 out of my stock Bridgestone EL42 (which I understand to be very good) on my 2004 TL and its time to replace them. I've actually been very pleased with them.

I've pretty much decided on either Kuhmo Ecsta ASX or Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S (both ultra high performance all season tires).

Treadwear is a major concern, handling is 2nd and ride is 3rd.

I can get the Kuhmo from a local dealer. I would order the Pirelli tires from Tire Rack and have them shipped to my local Acura dealer for installation (I'm very please with the dealer).

Any advice on which tire to get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe
Old 12-24-2005, 09:24 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i don't know so much about the KUHMO ECSTA...but all ive heard on this forum...on other forums...and on all review websites is that pirelli pzero nero's M+S are the best bang for your buck.....and i havn't heard any complaints about them....they handle amazingly all season....and they carry the pirelli name...the only complaint ive heard about them is that they get a bit noisey...but nothing huge..just a little bit...and they don't have as thick of a sidewall so in those cold nights they flat spot and u need to drive for a few minutes to even out the tires
Old 12-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had both of the mentioned tires on my A-spec 18's.. the ASX Kumho's and I currently have the pirelli's. I had the Kumhos for about 36,000 miles .. flawless except for a little flat spotting in very cold weather (below 35 degrees it seemed). Definitely best bang for your buck per Tirerack.com pricing. Great in wet weather ... acceptable in winter weather, and good in dry weather. I have a full review of them that you can read if you search my name as post starter on the kumho's. I also have on the pirelli's right now, and they are BETTER in every way than the kumho's .. but they are a tick softer in the corners (very predictable) .. not as tight as the Kumho's were. The pirelli's are QUIETER than the Kumho's, and since the Pirelli's are a bit softer, they made the Aspec ride a tad softer which is good for driving around the city.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Burning Brakes

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS
have u thought about the avons? I just got them and they are GREAT. Otherwise the pirelli's would be a good choice.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I hope to be able to post an initial review (as usual) about the Kumhos later this week as I'm having them installed on my car. I chose them over the Toyo Proxes 4 and Pirellis mostly because of treadwear. Some reviews on Tire Rack's site indicate the sidewall is softer on the Kumhos, and user experience here indicates that the Pirellis provide better precision. Even so, the treadwear is a crucial issue and enough people have posted positive remarks about the Kumhos that I went for that.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:43 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I have had both brands at some time or another...both very good tires. I have always been impressed with the value for the dollar on the Kumho brand though....usually a bit more competitively priced at Tire Barn, ect. than Pirelli.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:06 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Tire rack tests indicate the two tires are very closely matched with the Pirelli performance slightly better and the Kumho being just a little more quiet. The big difference is that the Kumho tires cost 1/3 less than the Pirelli tires.

For information on other tires see the table at: http://home.comcast.net/~jherick/TL/tires.htm
Old 12-27-2005, 08:51 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I just got a set of ASX a couple of weeks ago, and I'm loving them. They provide pretty good traction in light snow, and on dry pavemen they hold very well. I posted an initial review in the 2G section.

But as far as treadwear is concerned, I can't say much because I've only had them for a couple of weeks.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I switched to the Kumho's at 20K, have put 5K miles on them so far.They handle well in the rain and are much quieter and give a smoother ride than those blasted EL's. They also provide a guaranteed 30K mile warranty!!- very difficult to find these days. The price at $92 is right and Tire Rack was a pleasure to deal with. Obviously I can not compare these to Pirelli or others but I am overall pleased with its performance.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Intermediate

I like the kumho ecsta asx 245/45/17 tires. The larger size and the softer tireimproved the ride, compared to the OEM bs tires. The kumhos are much quieter and easier on the divider strips and bumps in the road and the handling is still just as responsive. Expected tread life is 40000+ compared to the 24000 I got on the bs tires. They also don't look too fat from the side but have a wider, more muscular look from the front and rear. I would highly recommend them, especially in the 245 size.I got them thru a local dealer who got them thru tirerack, but Sears also sells them for $10 more.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:35 PM
Resident auto maniac

I like my Kumho Ecsta Supras
Old 10-22-2006, 06:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I've had both of the mentioned tires on my A-spec 18's.. the ASX Kumho's and I currently have the pirelli's. I had the Kumhos for about 36,000 miles .. flawless except for a little flat spotting in very cold weather (below 35 degrees it seemed). Definitely best bang for your buck per Tirerack.com pricing. Great in wet weather ... acceptable in winter weather, and good in dry weather. I have a full review of them that you can read if you search my name as post starter on the kumho's. I also have on the pirelli's right now, and they are BETTER in every way than the kumho's .. but they are a tick softer in the corners (very predictable) .. not as tight as the Kumho's were. The pirelli's are QUIETER than the Kumho's, and since the Pirelli's are a bit softer, they made the Aspec ride a tad softer which is good for driving around the city.
Hi Peter,

I hate to resurrect a thread that's almost a year old, but I'm very curious whether you still believe the Pirellis to be superior to the Kumhos. Several people have posted that the Pirellis are very loud and since noise is a major concern of mine, I'm interested in knowing what your experience has been.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin