Just installed A-Spec suspension - Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 01:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just installed A-Spec suspension - Question

I did the install myself. The instructions stated that the rear damper assemblies were marked L and R for left and right. I never saw any such markings. I did see the L and R on the front dampers and installed them accordingly. Is it just a typo in the instructions or did I over look the markings? I looked at the rears (old and new) for at least 15 minutes and never saw any markings. Car rides great BTW. I'd give a review but it wouldn't be any different than what others have said.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
sides should be identical, the difference comes in where it goes either in the front or back. You should be good to go. Congrats on the suspension
Old 11-02-2004, 02:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can you give some info about your installation procedures, what you did, what tools you used, pics, etc.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:55 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Only the fronts were marked L or R, the rears were also identical on mine. BTW I didn't get any instructions so I'm glad you reported the same.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cvajs
can you give some info about your installation procedures, what you did, what tools you used, pics, etc.
No pics....sorry

I started by exposing the top of the dampers under the hood (removed the engine covers) and under the rear deck (removed rear seat and rear deck) on Friday evening at home. About 1 hr to do this. The rear seat was a pain. Instructions are not clear enough. You must remove the headrests and access the bolts that are underneath and between the leather folds. It took me forever to figure this out. Also when releasing the clips holding the seat cushion down it's much easier if you put a little weight on the seat with your free arm.

On Saturday with everything exposed, went to a friends (more tools) and lifted all four corners. Removed all four wheels and opened my first beer . The fronts came out very easy. All you need is 10mm, 14mm and 17mm sockets (instructions don't mention the 10mm). Remove the cross member, and then the dampers. Pretty easy. Installing the new dampers was also easy. Just align the damper properly, install the nuts and bolts loosely, load the suspension and torque it all down. Next up, the rears. Here you need an allen wrench (forgot what size), 14mm and 17 mm sockets. These also dropped out pretty easy. Then I fucked off for at least 20 minutes trying to figure which was the left and which was the right. Decided they were identical and intalled them. Again, get them lined up, install the bolts finger tight, load the suspension and torque. I took the opportunity to rotate my tires, put the wheels/tires back on, dropped it down AND THEN INSTALLED AND TORQUED THE CROSS MEMBER. Don't do this with the car on jack stands.
Then I went home, reinstalled the rear seat and the engine covers. Done. Grand total of about 4 1/2 hours and about 6 beers

Hope this helps those yet to do the install.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chusteveb
Only the fronts were marked L or R, the rears were also identical on mine. BTW I didn't get any instructions so I'm glad you reported the same.
You can get a copy off the web at

www.h-o-n-d-a-c-u-r-a-w-o-r-l-d.com

hint: remove the dashes.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:07 PM
Instructor

dc,

How much did the A-Spec suspension drop your car?

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:46 AM
Banned

I could not find right or left either when I installed mine. I just made sure that the new coils were seated just the same way as the old ones that I took off.

The kit dropped my car about .75" and would expect them to settle a little bit more tin the coming weeks.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Burning Brakes

I measured it at about 1/2" drop. A little less actually. I expect it to settle.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:57 AM
Racer

^^^^
Funny, I too got about just a bit less than 1/2" drop. Good enough for me since I was looking for the performance aspect of the a-spec suspension which I'm really happy with. Comptech sway bar just topped it all off!!!
Old 11-04-2004, 08:59 AM
Racer

^^^^
^^^^^^^^
Wonder if the a-spec suspension had a different part number for the auto vs. 6MT since one is heavier than the other. Maybe I got the auto version which is for the heavier car so my 6mt didn't drop as much since it is lighter. I dunno.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Racer

^^^^
^^^^^^^^
Wonder if the a-spec suspension had a different part number for the auto vs. 6MT since one is heavier than the other. Maybe I got the auto version which is for the heavier car so my 6mt didn't drop as much since it is lighter. I dunno.
Yes there are differnet part numbers. In another thread someone said the "knuckles" on the front are different on the MT vs AT. So I guess one would need to make sure they installed the right one.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:19 AM
Instructor

I will be installing my suspension this Saturday. The front ones are marked L/R. I was hoping it would drop about 1", but it seems that is not goint to happen as per what you guys are saying.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:31 AM
Burning Brakes

I doubt the front 5AT dampers would go on a 6MT car. You should be fine.

BTW - Only difference in part numbers is that the 6MT dampers have an "A" (oddly enough) appended to the end of the number.

I don't remember the exact part numbers but you get the idea....

SEP..200 = 5AT
SEP..200A = 6MT
Old 11-04-2004, 09:36 AM
Instructor

08w60-sep-200 = A/t
Old 11-04-2004, 03:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Right and

08w60-sep-200a = 6MT
Old 11-04-2004, 05:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
dcarlinf, you've got the Comptech rear sway bar. Could you compare the handling (specifically understeer) before and after the A-Spec? Another data point would be helpful as I'm considering adding the sway bar still. I plan to have it installed next spring, after the snow melts...
Old 11-04-2004, 05:49 PM
2005 WDP TL

Where is everyone purchasing their suspensions? I only see one on ebay for 750.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Instructor

eBay. https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/ne1-pull-good-april-fools-joke-99283/
Old 11-04-2004, 07:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kyle-wdp
Where is everyone purchasing their suspensions? I only see one on ebay for 750.
A of E Acura off of E-Bay for $600. Did it last week.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:32 AM
Racer

I got mine off of ebay from acura of Lynwood in Washington State (north Seattle) for $699.

$750 is not too far fetched.

neuronbob, I installed my a-spec on my 6mt and drove the TL around for a few days while waiting for the comptech rear sway to show up. Without even installing the swaybar I could tell on the on/off ramps a difference in the amount of lean under acceleration or deceleration. I almost could be happy with this set up but knowing that the rear sway bar was available and on its was I was really excited to see how much more it would add to the handling of this heavy front wheel drive sedan. When the comptech arrived it was installed that same day; w/o dropping the exhaust or removing any of the wheels, I simply removed the muffler off of the drivers side. This allowed me to only have the rear of the car in the air vs. the whole car. (30 min install w/ compressor) Even though the a-spec was new to me, I could still tell the comptech added to the vehicles handling capacity. I believe that it is dialed in perfect and is more predictable than ever. There is just a perfect amount of lean-in on turns to get feed back on the vehicle and what it is doing but not enough to feel the car is about to oversteer on acceleration. The vehicle feels very stable on the freeway and can make lane changes that makes the TL feel very 'light on its feet' so even an unexpected maneuver will not cause the car to oversteer.
I have not one bad thing to say about the TL's current set up. The design from comptech is perfect resulting in no side affects such as bushing noises etc. The car to me is now very predictable and because of that much safer.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:19 PM
Burning Brakes

I got mine off of ebay from acura of Lynwood in Washington State (north Seattle) for $699.

$750 is not too far fetched.

neuronbob, I installed my a-spec on my 6mt and drove the TL around for a few days while waiting for the comptech rear sway to show up. Without even installing the swaybar I could tell on the on/off ramps a difference in the amount of lean under acceleration or deceleration. I almost could be happy with this set up but knowing that the rear sway bar was available and on its was I was really excited to see how much more it would add to the handling of this heavy front wheel drive sedan. When the comptech arrived it was installed that same day; w/o dropping the exhaust or removing any of the wheels, I simply removed the muffler off of the drivers side. This allowed me to only have the rear of the car in the air vs. the whole car. (30 min install w/ compressor) Even though the a-spec was new to me, I could still tell the comptech added to the vehicles handling capacity. I believe that it is dialed in perfect and is more predictable than ever. There is just a perfect amount of lean-in on turns to get feed back on the vehicle and what it is doing but not enough to feel the car is about to oversteer on acceleration. The vehicle feels very stable on the freeway and can make lane changes that makes the TL feel very 'light on its feet' so even an unexpected maneuver will not cause the car to oversteer.
I have not one bad thing to say about the TL's current set up. The design from comptech is perfect resulting in no side affects such as bushing noises etc. The car to me is now very predictable and because of that much safer.

^^^^^^ What he said. Very predictable.

Someone asked about understeer. I am no expert, but I believe that understeer is virtually non-existent with the a-spec dampers and the comptech sway bar. I am truly lovin' it. Even my wife has learned that when the little yellow signs say 35mph for the upcoming turn, she knows I'm not slowing down and braces herself a little. It's just plain great. No complaints at all. There was a little understeer after the sway bar and before the a-spec dampers, but not anymore.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:56 PM
Advanced

I have the A-Spec suspension installed on my car, a 2006 6MT. I just looked at the part number from the sticker on the left front coilover and it was:

08W60-SEP-2M00 F1

Could this be a new number for the 06's ?
Old 11-19-2005, 11:38 PM
Racer

i found the suspension directions thru this forum, as my kit did not include them. both my rear struts seemed to be marked "R". after the dealer contacted Acura parts, they reported there was a "note" regarding the rears being interchangeable in Acura's computer.

i had the comptech swaybar installed before the suspension (6mt) and found it a significant improvement in tracking over rough pavement under hard acceleration and at higher (70mph+) speeds through corners. i believe the swaybar made more of a difference in tracking through corners than the struts/springs.

prepair to upgrade your tires to take full advantage of the fantastic combination this makes!

here's the order i did the upgrades:
comptech rsb
Bridgestone S-03's
a-spec suspension (w/ alignment + headlamp adjustment)

the "push" is pretty nearly completely gone on hard accel thru highway onramps w/ this combo. i finding it harder and harder to get the vsa lite to come on at higher speeds, even in the rain. this thing is scary fast at times thru corners, coming from a motorcycle guy-

i had the Turanza's, and should have upgraded the tires first. i'd prolly look to do tires last if i didn't have the sh*t ones. i did manage to get the S-03's for less than $70. tho'. as a side note, i just had Goodyear GW3 snows installed on my second set of OE wheels. they're going skiing for the week tomorrow...
Old 11-21-2005, 09:14 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Wow, we dug this one up, didn't we guys?
Old 11-21-2005, 09:31 AM
Safety Car

Talk about reviving a thread! I know there's more recent thread to add to than this one. lol!