Installed Springs, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:19 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Installed Springs, some questions

Hi,

I paid a member to install my Neuspeed Sport Springs yesterday. I like the look, but I have some questions. I have a 2 finger gap up front and barely a 1 finger gap in the rear....but my rear tires as of right now are 225/55/17...I think when I get the proper tires I will have 1 finger gap.

Anyways, I noticed my front right side is a little lower then my front left side. Not by much its like a 1.0-1.5 CM difference. Is this something to be alarmed about? Can is handling better. You can't even really tell.

My rears are perfect but when going over a bump or a dip in the road at lets say 45-60 mph the right rear makes a clunking noise. This does not happen all the time. Going under 10 mph it never happens unless you hit the bump at an angle...you hear it but other then that nothing at low speeds.

Thank you in advance!
Old 03-29-2012, 12:28 PM

Received 9,506 Likes on 6,175 Posts
Have you gotten an alignment?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 PM
A6 and TL

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Have you gotten an alignment?
Not yet. Getting my new tires this weekend so I was going to wait a couple of days.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
Hi,

I paid a member to install my Neuspeed Sport Springs yesterday. I like the look, but I have some questions. I have a 2 finger gap up front and barely a 1 finger gap in the rear....but my rear tires as of right now are 225/55/17...I think when I get the proper tires I will have 1 finger gap.

Anyways, I noticed my front right side is a little lower then my front left side. Not by much its like a 1.0-1.5 CM difference. Is this something to be alarmed about? Can is handling better. You can't even really tell.

My rears are perfect but when going over a bump or a dip in the road at lets say 45-60 mph the right rear makes a clunking noise. This does not happen all the time. Going under 10 mph it never happens unless you hit the bump at an angle...you hear it but other then that nothing at low speeds

Thank you in advance!
The gaping is made that way to compensate for the engine weight. And the gap difference from the left and right, dunno. That clunking noise you hear in the right rear is your strut mount. Needs to be replaced and should dole check all the nuts and bolts after couple days of driving. I had my fair share with suspension on my late 94 legend gs so I know. Alignment has nothing to do with the clunking or gaping.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:17 PM
A6 and TL

Originally Posted by Philly 3gS
The gaping is made that way to compensate for the engine weight. And the gap difference from the left and right, dunno. That clunking noise you hear in the right rear is your strut mount. Needs to be replaced and should dole check all the nuts and bolts after couple days of driving. I had my fair share with suspension on my late 94 legend gs so I know. Alignment has nothing to do with the clunking or gaping.
I drove 300 miles already since yesterday and everything is holding up. I have no idea on what to check either....we double checked everything when everything was reinstalled.

Also a quick question...why would a strut mount go bad? It was not making the noise before and happened right after we installed the springs. In any case my car just hit 30k today so it should not be the strut mount. I heard sometimes the springs "clang" together so you should put a "covering" to prevent the noise. What even is a strut mount? Is it the shock?

Anyways it does not happen on every bump. I live in NY and we have bumps everywhere. It happens only when I go over a bump at a certain angle. If I am going very slow it seldom happens. Worst case, I live with it.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^strut mount is pretty much a metal plate with a rubber bushing to hold the spring in place to the strut or some people call it "top hats" if I'm not mistaken. I should know this since I worked in the industry for almost 5yrs and messed around with my old car a lot. Once you taken it apart it's not a guarantee it'll be the same. Dunno about the spring "clanging". Its not the struts since they should be good for 50k or longer. Would have to hear the noise to determine exactly for sure but I'm certain it's the mount. I have 35k on my car and I know for sure the mounts are bad in the rear. Only on certain bumps I hear the clunk noise from either rear. Our streets here in Philly aren't any better than your in NY.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
clunking is unusual. you don't want to second guess something as important as your suspension.

was it there before the spring installation?
Old 03-29-2012, 06:03 PM
A6 and TL

Originally Posted by JETSPD1477
clunking is unusual. you don't want to second guess something as important as your suspension.

was it there before the spring installation?
No. But from searching and searching other forums clunking seems normal most of the time. Its almost expected. You should expect some road noise+other nosies after installing springs.

My friend has a IS350 and he has F sport springs they are OEM like Aspec springs and they all clunk over bumps, my right rear only clunks.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:07 PM
A6 and TL

And it happens on some bumps only. I would think its a big issue if it was happening at every bump/dip. I should just go slower over bumps anyways now that I am lowered .
Old 03-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
ok. i probably should have taken into account the type of springs that you're using. you could very well be just hitting the bump stops.