I think I have bump steer...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I have bump steer...?

my car has been lowered (h&r springs) for a year or two and noticed that my inner tires were getting worn out rather quickly. I even had two tire blow outs because the inner got worn out to the point it was split open which caused the car to spin out and hit the wall on the highway (thankfully everything was okay)

well got the car back together and got an alignment and was good for about 4 months but still noticed that the inner parts of my rear tires were getting worn out pretty bad. Somone suggested i get the Ingalls rear toe/camber kit. So yesterday i get that put on with all new bolts, nuts and washers in the rear. Everything was tightened up and an alignment was done on it with stock specs. The car drove fine on the hour drive back home.

Today this morning i get on the highway to drive it and i feel the rear end jerks to left or right every time i hit a bump, dip or any little crack on the road. Its scary almost feels like my lugs aren't tight and the wheels are wobbly. So i get home and re tighten everything.. still same issue

Buddy says it sounds like bump steer.. what do you guys think and how should i fix it?? should i post the alignment spec print out sheet?
Old 02-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Should noticed it on the way home, but did you check the tire pressure?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
Should noticed it on the way home, but did you check the tire pressure?
yes added 35psi on each tire before we took it off the lift
Old 02-11-2013, 11:45 PM
TL-S

Received 413 Likes on 366 Posts
Was the car salvaged at some point?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Bump steer would be up front. Yes please post ur alignment spec sheet. It sounds like it's out of align. What shop did u take it too? Do u know if they have and old style alignment rack or the newer style? Did u put the ingalls kit on correctly?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
I thank threads like these. I had no idea what bump steer was.

In to see what the problem really is, that does sound scary. Hope you get it figured out!
Old 02-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Usually if one notices the rear moving when striking a bump, the tires are extremely stiff, too much air in the tires, or suspension components (shocks) bottoming out or too stiff to absorb the upward motion.
I would also make certain all suspension parts were tightened when the vehicle was in a loaded position.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
From your description I have felt the same thing in my car after I installed the ingalls, but that was right before my alignment, after the alignment it was perfect. although one of my past cars, I had an alignment done and I took a right out of the parking lot and after I straightened up the steering wheel was cocked to the right. A little ways down the road I made a left to turn around to go back to the shop and after i straightened back up the wheel was cocked to the left. They checked the alignment again and it was fine. After i went through the front end of the car and found nothing wrong and went to a different alignment shop and sure enough that fixed it. That's when I learned about the old and new alignment racks. Sorry for the long story, but hope it helps.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My couzin and I were checking out a family members volvo s60 with something similar but in the front. They had replaced the whole front strut assembly and links by mechanic but eventually bought a new car since it was getting too scary to drive. We drove it a few times and checked it over a couple times. We eventually noticed that our flash light was shining through the front lower control arm bushings. They were completely worn! After replacing both lower control arms it was immediately back to normal. If getting things re-tightened doesnt help definitely check the bushings like in the lower control arm and any other rear suspension point. It definitely is scary and uneasy driving a car when the steering wheel skips to the left or the right when hitting bumps and also when stopping or accelerating a little more than moderately. Your case seems a little more uneasy since you cant adjust the steering wheel like for the front.
Hope this can somehow help
Old 02-13-2013, 12:23 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Check the lower arm control bushing as crajeemonkey was saying.