AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Tires, Wheels & Suspension (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/)
-   -   HT-Spec Height Adjustment Reference Thread! (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/ht-spec-height-adjustment-reference-thread-816011/)

DeathMetal 04-16-2011 08:52 PM

HT-Spec Height Adjustment Reference Thread!

Alright, well, seeing as how these coilovers are becoming more popular, why not try and collect lowering information in an easy to reference, all-in-one thread so we can help other members try to dial in their desired settings?

Here's how it'll go...we post our collar-to-collar distance, and the height at which the ride sits, this way we help other members take the guess work out of the matter. I am thinking something like this:

COILOVER TYPE: I or II

FRONT
CtC Spacing -
Wheel Gap -
Damper Clicks - (1 - 32 from the LO side)

REAR
CtC Spacing -
Wheel Gap -
Damper Clicks - (1 - 32 from the LO side)

RIDE QUALITY - (General Notes)

This thread might be a total failure OR a useful tool for other members...we'll determine that!

DeathMetal 04-16-2011 08:53 PM

COILOVER TYPE: II

FRONT
CtC Spacing - 4-3/4"
Wheel Gap - Maybe 2 fingers
Damper Clicks - 25 from the LO side)

REAR
CtC Spacing - 5-3/8"
Wheel Gap - Stock
Damper Clicks - 16 from the LO side

RIDE QUALITY - Not balanced one iota. Very bouncy and unpredictable. I JUST got this on, obviously some adjustment need to be done.

MAS 04-17-2011 12:00 AM

How about a side pic to have a visual of what your drop looks like. Maybe even the measurement from front and rear wheel well to ground.

Might be helpful..... Will be for me at least.

mrlal8 04-17-2011 01:49 AM

setting the damper to any softer than the middle level of stiffness will be very bad on bumps. Alot of people bottom out

hp1kw 04-17-2011 09:16 PM

Type II

FRONT
CtC Spacing - Not a DIY install
Wheel Gap - 1-finger
Damper Clicks - Full Stiff

REAR
CtC Spacing - Not a DIY Install
Wheel Gap - 1-finger, maybe a bit less
Damper Clicks - Full Soft

RIDE QUALITY - Handling is very good. Haven't experienced any unexpected behavior from the coilovers. This was on mountain roads around SoCal. Comfort - It soaks up the freeway expansion slots great (i.e. no bouncing up and down like the Tein Basics on my Prelude). Otherwise, expect a ride similar to any other lowered ride.

Hopefully this helps. If you want measurements or pictures, just let me know.

DeathMetal 04-17-2011 09:36 PM

Stupid question time: The knob reads HI and LO...does HI = SOFT and LO = STIFF or is ti the other way around? The fronts are good, the rears are bouncy as fuck and almost nauseating over some sections of road

jwr0ng626 04-17-2011 09:44 PM

hard = stiffer and lo = less stiff.... but if you're at full lo, you'll practically be riding on the springs and it'll ride horribly (from what i've experienced) my megans are 32 way adjustable too and I found it to be comfortable at 10 clicks from lo

MAS 04-18-2011 06:33 PM

Op, can you post a couple Pics? I would love to see what your stance looks like with the wheel gaps you mention.

DeathMetal 04-18-2011 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by jwr0ng626 (Post 12876727)
hard = stiffer and lo = less stiff.... but if you're at full lo, you'll practically be riding on the springs and it'll ride horribly (from what i've experienced) my megans are 32 way adjustable too and I found it to be comfortable at 10 clicks from lo

Thanks, dude. The rears are full low and the fronts are like almost full stiff...a single bump feels like a goddamn boat and just makes me...angry. I have more work to do.

Originally Posted by MAS (Post 12878543)
Op, can you post a couple Pics? I would love to see what your stance looks like with the wheel gaps you mention.

Aye aye, as soon as I can. It looks fucking stupid, though. The fronts are too low/rears are too high :tomato:

MAS 04-18-2011 09:16 PM

Also u said the rear is at stock height....i didn't know you could get stock height on these....i thought minimum drop was 1.5"......how did you pull that off??

LostSol 04-19-2011 08:12 AM

DM- How much did you thread onto the fronts? Im trying to figure out my CtC for the front but havent had the chance to measure.

Oh and for your settings, try putting your fronts closer to neutral stiffness and crank the rear, that should help

rockstar143 04-19-2011 08:31 AM

This will end up being a useful thread, but I agree on the need for pics.

Out of curiosity DM, why did you keep the rear on normal height?! Good idea is to leave the rear seat off until you're dialed in to the rear (to access the rebound knobs) and drill a hole in your stock front strut bar to be able to drop an allen wrench in to adjust that. That's what I did at least...

Looking forward to pics!

DeathMetal 04-19-2011 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by rockstar143 (Post 12879971)
This will end up being a useful thread, but I agree on the need for pics.

Out of curiosity DM, why did you keep the rear on normal height?! Good idea is to leave the rear seat off until you're dialed in to the rear (to access the rebound knobs) and drill a hole in your stock front strut bar to be able to drop an allen wrench in to adjust that. That's what I did at least...

Looking forward to pics!

You guys and your pics :tomato: You're right though.

Rear on normal height? Call it a case of overcompensation after seeing the fronts hella low. The rear seats are still off, or at least they will be for today until I drop the new sub in the rear deck.

LOVE the suggestion of drilling in to the bar, I am going to do that as well.

MAS 04-28-2011 04:30 PM

Just got mine in the mail. Will be installing on Saturday.

Any updates from you guys?... Would really like to hear some more collar-to-collar measurements........i will be looking to get a 0.5-1 finger gap in front with a slight rake to the rear (absolutely no tuck).

CaliWowie 04-28-2011 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by DeathMetal (Post 12876710)
Stupid question time: The knob reads HI and LO...does HI = SOFT and LO = STIFF or is ti the other way around? The fronts are good, the rears are bouncy as fuck and almost nauseating over some sections of road

From this post it sounds like you should go positive in clicks on the rear..

I havent installed my rear end yet...Are the damping dials easy to reach or do you have to pull out the seat??

DeathMetal 04-28-2011 05:28 PM

I'll have a detailed review on my setup including the setting hopefully in the next few days, I'm friggin' swamped right now :(

CaliWowie 04-28-2011 05:42 PM

Im installin my rear today...ill post my measurements tonight.

I can tell you i have almost a negative three finger distance on my front haha...and yes i scrapes EVERYTHING..and i can already feel +15 is too soft on my front...im adjusting height and stiffness today.

So before the install, the bottom red sleave, that has the small locking ring that screws on to the bottom of the coil over and sits in the fork...how far did you guys screw that in???

right now i have it screwed all the way in...and i have a 3 inch gap on the coil locking ring....i need to raise the front like 3 more inches to be at no finger gap....but that may compress my spring to much...so im guessing other HT-type guys didnt screw that in all the way??

please help!

MAS 04-28-2011 08:06 PM

Ur supposed to adjust height only at bottom sleeve. Collars at springs are supposed tof left alone (at least that's what the instructions say)

CaliWowie 04-29-2011 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by MAS (Post 12906596)
Ur supposed to adjust height only at bottom sleeve. Collars at springs are supposed tof left alone (at least that's what the instructions say)

F my A...My friend helping me who knows what hes doing is all into dumping cars..so the sleve was screwd on low as posible then he said lets mess with the springs. so we did.

so im not going to post my specs yet because its sitting way too low...

what is CtC??

bluescreenofdeath 04-29-2011 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by CaliWowie (Post 12908592)
F my A...My friend helping me who knows what hes doing is all into dumping cars..so the sleve was screwd on low as posible then he said lets mess with the springs. so we did.

so im not going to post my specs yet because its sitting way too low...

what is CtC??

Collar to Collar.
Hoping this thread keeps up, still looking at making a purchase on the Type II's myself.

geezr98 04-29-2011 01:49 PM

Ne one know how type 1's ride? Jus ordered 2day
I'm jus daily driver that likes to sit low !

DeathMetal 04-29-2011 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by bluescreenofdeath (Post 12908620)
Collar to Collar.
Hoping this thread keeps up, still looking at making a purchase on the Type II's myself.

Do it. Play with the damper settings enough and you're as smooth as stock. I'm fairly anal retentive when it comes to ride quality, these things do a wonderful job of preserving just that.

I'll detail this in my review.

MAS 05-02-2011 07:51 AM

COILOVER TYPE: I

FRONT
CtC Spacing - 4-5/8"
Wheel Gap - 1 finger (25-3/8 wheel well arch to ground)
Damper Clicks - N/A

REAR
CtC Spacing: 4-3/4"
Wheel Gap: 1.5 fingers (25-7/8 wheel well arch to ground)
Damper Clicks - N/A

RIDE QUALITY - Definately stiffer than A-Spec Suspension but not harsh.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_V...0/IMG_4923.JPG

DeathMetal 05-02-2011 08:18 AM

That looks effing perfect, IMHO.

MAS 05-02-2011 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by DeathMetal (Post 12914180)

I might drop the front another 1/8" - 1/4" just to plant down that front end a bit more and make the rake a bit more dramatic. Not sure yet either way.

H23Accord 05-02-2011 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by DeathMetal (Post 12914180)

I agree. Its not "dumped" and not 4x4. Looks sporty as if that is how it was suppose to come.

CaliWowie 05-04-2011 01:17 AM

oo sweet jesus...im so glade i have the damping option...i had 20 in the rear for a few days wich was cush..then went to 25 and turns on freeways were fun..today i went to 30...freeway driving is AWSOME!! not comfy going slow on bumpy roads but man i cant wait to drive to work 2maro...I have my front at 20 but i may bump it to 25..i love the stiffer handling..I thought i was gonna go for more of the slammed look but now i might just make my set up for handling...deff gonna look into stiffer rear sway bars before looking into rims..

cant wait for that EDFC ( i think thats the name, u know the electric daming adjustment.)...so fun!

rockstar143 05-04-2011 09:34 AM

I thought EDFC was only a TEIN thing only compatible with TEIN. No?

Glad you all are happy, a lot of nice drops here. :)

CaliWowie 05-04-2011 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by rockstar143 (Post 12920255)
I thought EDFC was only a TEIN thing only compatible with TEIN. No?

Glad you all are happy, a lot of nice drops here. :)

Yeah you can get it with the TEIN SS i think its about 600-700

I read something somewhere (prob on the healtoe site) that said this will be avaliable for the HT-2's...better save up some cash budday!

amazo 05-13-2011 03:12 PM

On heeltoe website they said they are going to be releasing an edfc

kevinballer08 06-28-2011 07:06 PM

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5318/...46aa3687_z.jpg

04-06 TL on OEM wheels

FRONT
CtC Spacing - 4.5"
Wheel Gap - <1 finger
Damper Clicks - N/A

REAR
CtC Spacing - 4.5"
Wheel Gap - <1 finger
Damper Clicks - N/A

RIDE QUALITY - Very bumpy the first day. Springs settled a good amount on the 2nd day, and ride is noticeably firm, but not back-breaking like the first day. 3rd day has gotten a bit smoother. Car stays very balanced during tight corners on the streets, very little body roll (feels good!). Haven't taken a windy offramp yet.

I'll post alignments specs on Saturday after I get one.

DeathMetal 06-28-2011 07:17 PM

Just as FYI: The Type IIs get HELLA smoother after the first few weeks!!!

rockstar143 06-28-2011 07:23 PM

^^^I don't believe you. :)
Good to know they need to be broken in!

Mafyoso 06-29-2011 11:00 AM

FRONT
CtC Spacing - IDK Never Measured but will soon and Let yall know
Wheel Gap - No Finger Gaps, To low to have any
Damper Clicks - N/A

REAR
CtC Spacing: IDK Never Measured but will soon and Let yall know
Wheel Gap: No Finger Gaps, To low to have any
Damper Clicks - N/A

RIDE QUALITY - Ride is Stiffer which was expected but not to bad to make me hate it. I like a Sporty ride quality so I have no problems with it even with 20s on. They just rub a little but I'm getting that fixed soon :thumbsup:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tl-s/5821659945/

faceman1 06-29-2011 11:21 AM

Anyone thinking about upgrading their dampers to the Version 2 that will be out in July? Supposedly they will handle better. Any of you feel the need to do this? Waiting to install mine. Not sure if i should upgrade first.

kevinballer08 06-29-2011 11:24 AM

If you don't mind a bit more firmness, then you shouldn't upgrade to the new shocks. If you're looking for a similar feeling as OEM, then supposedly these new shocks offer that.

Mafyoso 06-29-2011 11:47 AM

FTW Firmer Ride ALL DAY!!

RjG2 07-04-2011 12:28 AM

My rears are a bit noisy. I feel like I can hear the springs from time to time. Does any one else have this problem?

kevinballer08 07-04-2011 12:47 AM

Did you torque the nuts down properly? They might have come loose as you drove the car.

saiwahhh 07-19-2011 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by DeathMetal (Post 12874960)
COILOVER TYPE: II

FRONT
CtC Spacing - 4-3/4"
Wheel Gap - Maybe 2 fingers
Damper Clicks - 25 from the LO side)

REAR
CtC Spacing - 5-3/8"
Wheel Gap - Stock
Damper Clicks - 16 from the LO side

RIDE QUALITY - Not balanced one iota. Very bouncy and unpredictable. I JUST got this on, obviously some adjustment need to be done.

2 finger gap / stock height? hmm im on the ht spec 1's and i really don't think they can go that high. i have threaded 1/2" (which is what i am told is the "safe" amount) and i have about 1 finger gap in the front. maybe the type 1 and type 2's have a different range in heights?