View Poll Results: should i get the Comptech sway bar or not and my?i have the full a spec pack
yes
93.33%
no never
6.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

how many of you have a Comptech sway bar on your tl

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by JJaber06
An 80's high-powered RWD V8 taking a sharp turn and losing control at highway speeds?!

Say it isn't so!
So, so, Soooo. Did I mention I was young and crazy at the time ????

Yep, I was weaving thru traveling, switching lanes quickly. I jerk it into the other lane and as I got into the other lane, the rear-end decided it wanted to keep moving laterally. After entering the other lane, the front of the car settled into the lane perfectly, but the rear end broke loose (oversteer).
Old 10-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Originally Posted by acura911
WHAT DID YOU PAY FOR THE SWAY BAR AND THE energy bushings?
not totally sure as I ordered additional parts, but I think it was 115 for the bar and 20 for the bushings. It made a heck of a difference.

make sure you get (4) M8-25 hex hed screws before you attempt the install as the holes in the energy bushing mounts are not perfectly aligned with the stock bolt holes and you need the additional length to start the bolts and the hex hed is needed because there is not enough clearance to get a wrench or socket on a normal bolt with the vertical portion of the bracket being so close.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Yes, this is why I decided against getting the swaybar. There was a poster here on this forum approx two months ago that posted a question. His question was "has anyone else tried the Comptech RSB in autocrossing?" While autocrossing, he had severe understeer with the oem RSB (duh). So, he installed the Comptech RSB and then experienced severve OVERSTEER the next time he went to the autocross.

So, I made a mental note to not get a RSB.

When I was young and crazy, I had a new 1985 IROC-Z. I installed polyurethane bushings to the RSB which greatly tightened the rearend bias. So, I was switching lanes VERY AGGRESSIVILY (showing off)...did I mention this was when I was young and crazy many decades ago???...and the car's rearend came loss at 80 MPH on the freeway. I was forced to utilize both lands of the two-lane freeway (both lanes heading in same direction) to regain contro of the car. After regaining control from the fish-tailing (oversteer induced), I looked in my rearview mirror. The freeway traffic was way, way behind me because everyone around me came to a stop, waiting for me to crash as I fought that 80 MPH fishtailing

LESSON LEARNED -- I rather have understeer instead of oversteer !!!!!

I am not following this argument for understeer........it was just a vehicle dynamic that he was not used to. once he becomes accustomed to the oversteer he will be faster through the autocross course. understeering is much safer and that is why virtually every production car is engineered to perform that way, oversteering can be a bit unsettling if you are not used to it, but it can be used to your advantage to corner faster.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:53 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by pohljm
I am not following this argument for understeer........it was just a vehicle dynamic that he was not used to. once he becomes accustomed to the oversteer he will be faster through the autocross course. understeering is much safer and that is why virtually every production car is engineered to perform that way, oversteering can be a bit unsettling if you are not used to it, but it can be used to your advantage to corner faster.
Side note....our TL's are NEVER gonna do as well as the EVO's and such on the autocross course....therefore...dont use those cars as a comparison! I tend to agree with the post above too....something he wasnt used to. You will fall into your groove the more you autocross.....and only get faster.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
I do agree with the statements being made. I also had a 1981 Buick Regal with the complete RANCHO setup. If you are unfamiliar with Rancho, just imagine HUGE, HUGE beefy sway bars, stiff springs, lowered, stout shocks. That damn thing had ZERO sway. I learned to drive that thing like you see in movies. It had PREDICTABLE oversteer that I could ALWAYS read (predictable). And, I used it .... Damn those were some fun times in my life.

But, the situation with my 1985 IROC-Z.. that was totally unexpected. To learn how the car reacts while fishtailing at 80 MPH on the freeway is NOT the way to learn. I should had gradually pushed the envelope to learn. Damn hindsight.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Inaccurate.........fishtailing at 80 mph on the freeway gives an entirely new meaning to the term HINDSIGHT !!
Old 10-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by pohljm
Inaccurate.........fishtailing at 80 mph on the freeway gives an entirely new meaning to the term HINDSIGHT !!

There are circumstances where understeer and oversteer are useful however you've got to be pretty familiar with the vehicle and the threshold limit for when they come in to play. Oversteer is useful say when your in the twisties. Being able to hold the car right at it's limit allows you maximum speed through the turns. But, that envelope, if you will, is mighty thin and there are a multitude of variables that affect it. Adding or reducing power inappropriately , be it with the throttle, engine (rpm's), or brakes can throw you out of that envelope faster than you can say "Oh sh*t".
If you've ever watched dirt track stock car races you have seen the effective use of oversteer being held at the limit of control. They do it intentionally.
Remeber - The rear wheels of a car control steering, the front wheels merely change the direction.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Shalooby

There are circumstances where understeer and oversteer are useful however you've got to be pretty familiar with the vehicle and the threshold limit for when they come in to play. Oversteer is useful say when your in the twisties. Being able to hold the car right at it's limit allows you maximum speed through the turns. But, that envelope, if you will, is mighty thin and there are a multitude of variables that affect it. Adding or reducing power inappropriately , be it with the throttle, engine (rpm's), or brakes can throw you out of that envelope faster than you can say "Oh sh*t".
If you've ever watched dirt track stock car races you have seen the effective use of oversteer being held at the limit of control. They do it intentionally.
Remeber - The rear wheels of a car control steering, the front wheels merely change the direction.
Well said.............especially the "Oh sh*t" part! been there done that, it is especially fun in a porsche where the center of rotation is behind you, now that gets interesting