Help - What Can It Be?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Help - What Can It Be?

So I have had my TL for about 6 weeks now. It is a 2008 with 70K miles. I had a couple issues that I am working on.

1. Repeating road noise - This is the one I need help with. At speeds greater than 40 mph I hear a repeating humming sound. It gets worse as the speed increases. I had the dealership check the wheel bearings. I also asked them to check the suspension in general and found one issue with the sway bar. That is being replaced this week.
  2. Bent wheels - I had one replaced by the dealership before I bought the car and I replaced the less visible one last week. The road noise did not change with the new wheel.
  3. Tires - There were 2 tires that were cupped when I bought the car. I think the previous owner did not rotate them enough because they had considerably more thread on them. The dealership cut me a check for the tires and I picked up a set of DWS. The road noise did not change with the tires.
  4. Idle was a bit rough - Dealership neutralized the motor and reattached a loose vacuum hose and it is smooth as silk. I can hardly tell the car is running when it is idling.
I had the alignment done when I bought the tires and everything is within spec. The scan is below.

I do not feel any real vibrations at any speed. Is it possible for the wheel bearings to be bad and not have the wheel shake when you jack it up and jiggle?

What else can it be?
Old 06-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,150 Likes on 776 Posts
1) Did the DWS tires go on the front or back? Try moving the front tires to the back and vice versa to eliminate the possibility that the noise is from the tires.

2) Check underneath the car to make sure nothing (like a cloth, back, etc.) is caught in the undercarriage or in a heat shield.

3) Check to see if the humming noise changes when you have the windows and sunroof open-- try it one glass panel at a time, to see if it's a weatherstripping/seal problem.

4) Is the "humming" metallic in nature? If so, check the brake calipers, brake dust shields, parking brake adjustment and the heat shield near the cats (although the heat shield problem usually is a rattle at idle or just off idle).

G/L.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Will Y.
1) Did the DWS tires go on the front or back? Try moving the front tires to the back and vice versa to eliminate the possibility that the noise is from the tires.

2) Check underneath the car to make sure nothing (like a cloth, back, etc.) is caught in the undercarriage or in a heat shield.

3) Check to see if the humming noise changes when you have the windows and sunroof open-- try it one glass panel at a time, to see if it's a weatherstripping/seal problem.

4) Is the "humming" metallic in nature? If so, check the brake calipers, brake dust shields, parking brake adjustment and the heat shield near the cats (although the heat shield problem usually is a rattle at idle or just off idle).

G/L.
Tires are all new. I have moved them around and the noise did not change.

Rolling the rear windows down makes it should like a helicopter but I cannot isolate the sound when the windows are down because it is more pronounced at higher speeds.

It is not a rattle. The noise sounds more like a repeating rumble than metallic. I will have them check the brakes on Friday because those were new. Maybe the parking brake needs adjusting. No brake odors though.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I do not feel any real vibrations at any speed. Is it possible for the wheel bearings to be bad and not have the wheel shake when you jack it up and jiggle?
Yes it's possible. To check if it's a rear bearing, get up to speed where the noise starts. Turn the steering wheel left. Does the noise go away? If it does, it's a left rear bearing. If not, turn the wheel right. Does the noise go away? If it does, then it's the right rear. If it doesn't go away, then it's possible it's a front bearing.
The following users liked this post:
RaviNJCLs (06-21-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sodaks2k
Yes it's possible. To check if it's a rear bearing, get up to speed where the noise starts. Turn the steering wheel left. Does the noise go away? If it does, it's a left rear bearing. If not, turn the wheel right. Does the noise go away? If it does, then it's the right rear. If it doesn't go away, then it's possible it's a front bearing.
Thanks, I will try that on my way home.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I hope for your sake it turns out to be that "simple." I have road noise as well but I'm certain it's the (somewhat) worn tires on my car since the noise changes on different road surfaces. I need to have the alignment checked, too.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sodaks2k
I hope for your sake it turns out to be that "simple." I have road noise as well but I'm certain it's the (somewhat) worn tires on my car since the noise changes on different road surfaces. I need to have the alignment checked, too.
It is still under warranty so I want to have it resolved as soon as possible. I just don't buy that the new tires I put on is the cause of a repeating road noise.

I asked Acura to swap the wheels with another one on the lot and prove to me that the issue is with the tires. We'll see if that happens. I think it sounds logical.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Was it the 2 fronts that were cupped?
Old 06-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Was it the 2 fronts that were cupped?
Rear 2. But there is no way to tell if they didn't rotate them before I bought it. Cupping was minor, and I did not notice it until after I drove it on the highway.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Rear 2. But there is no way to tell if they didn't rotate them before I bought it. Cupping was minor, and I did not notice it until after I drove it on the highway.
Reason I asked is because it looks like the front is toed out which could cause it .
Old 06-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IIRC the DWS are notorious for being a loud tire. so, it could be your tires making that noise
Old 06-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Shring
IIRC the DWS are notorious for being a loud tire. so, it could be your tires making that noise
It may be. I drove it home this evening and did the swerve test to see if it may be the bearings. Then I jacked the car up and took a closer look at the suspension including trying to shake the wheel. Damn thing will not budge at all. We'll see what Acura says on Friday and I am taking it back to the tire shop this weekend for a rotation and check.