Help in picking new tires for my 05 TL - Inexpensive but Comfy ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008 | 06:54 AM
6th Gear

Smile Help in picking new tires for my 05 TL - Inexpensive but Comfy ride

straight up.. I need new tires for my 05 TL. It is Automatic (if it matters)... I am looking for tires around 150$ and MAX of 200$. I need all 4 tires so PLEASE advice me a good tire. I have both Sams and Costco cards. Btw are they the only places to get tires? All I need in my tires is they must be comfy (less noise but smooth).

Please reply me back ASAP. Thanks and appreciate the help.
Old 07-28-2008 | 07:50 AM
Cruisin'

I bought Goodyear Eagle F1's in January for my '05 TL and they are much better in rain than the stock tires. I rotated them after 12K miles (it was supposed to be 6K miles) and now they sound awful due to uneven wear. I'm not sure if tires are supposed to be ruined after a mistake such as this but it was a costly error!
Old 07-28-2008 | 08:26 AM
NBP REPRESENT

i just got a set of 4 goodyear eagle f1 tires

i have heard mixed review abt the noise, but thats nto really a factor for me, i like the performance...

hopefully they dont become too loud...

check www.tirerack.com (they have some good reviews)

www.discounttiredirect.com

those are two good sites
Old 07-28-2008 | 11:25 AM
Pro

kumho lx platinum. very quiet, w speed rated, and guaranteed for 60k.
Old 07-28-2008 | 07:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Yokohama Advan S4 or Bridgestone Potenza RE960. Both at Tire Rack ~170/tire. Both top notch all season tires.
Old 07-28-2008 | 11:07 PM
Fresher the Better

I will give a second vote for the all-new Kumho LX Platinum. It's one of the newest touring tires around and will give a quiet and comfortable ride at a decent price as well as decent snow and ice traction.

KUMHO LX PLATINUM

However, provided you don't need winter traction, a far better choice would be the Falken FK452, which will give you wet & dry performance handling as well as a comfortable and quiet ride:

FALKEN FK452

Finally, if you want something in-between the ride comfort+snow handling of the LX Platinum and the ride comfort+performance of the FK452, then there is the Yokohama AVID V4S, which is a popular choice here at the Acurazine forums:

YOKOHAMA AVID V4S

Good luck!
Old 07-28-2008 | 11:15 PM
Fresher the Better

Also, one more very good choice, it will give you similar ride quality and handling as the Yokohama AVID V4S but with better snow traction:

MICHELIN PILOT EXALTO
Old 07-28-2008 | 11:35 PM
Instructor

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...dTireDetail.do
Old 07-28-2008 | 11:36 PM
Racer

tirerack is awesome. great customer service and shipping and comparing
Old 07-28-2008 | 11:47 PM
Fresher the Better

raviknp,

Some members have suggested the Eagle F1. There are a few different Eagle F1 tires, however, they are all performance-oriented and none of them will provide a particularly comfortable and quiet ride. All the Eagle F1s except the Eagle F1 A/S are summer tires which should be changed over when the whether is consistently below 40-F.

The Falken Azenis RT-615 also recommended is an utterly amazing summer ultra-high performance tire, which again, focus on crisp handling and awesome cornering at the expense of comfort.
Old 07-29-2008 | 12:20 AM
Team Owner

tire choice depends on your needs and winter conditions
Summer Performance tires like water- heavy rain braking no problem, and work awesome dry fun runs
All season tires have a different compound that works well in below freezing temps
Driving in snow and ice is no problem for them,

I really like my General Exclaim UHP about 100 each depending on size
rated #1 summer tire on tirerack- the tire carries the M&S rating for mud and snow- so it will do good in light snows when needed.
Old 07-29-2008 | 06:36 AM
6th Gear

Thanks Thanks

Thanks a lot for all the replies. I appreciate the help.

I am looking for all season tires. I am from St Louis and it snows for couple of months, it rains a lot (lately) and it has hot summers. So for me my tires need to work all seasons.

AMaybe a stupid question but if i ship my tires who will put them on for me? I am not good at these things...
Old 07-29-2008 | 08:57 AM
Fresher the Better

My local Costco carries the above-mentioned Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. Any reputable garage/car repair shop can install your tires if you use TireRack or DiscountTireDirect.

All things being equal, I prefer Discounttiredirect.com over tirerack due to their best-in-the-industry no-nonsense, no hassle road hazard warranty. In fact, I'd gladly pay $10-$15 more per tire to get it at discounttiredirect due to thier warranty.

If you do decide to mail-order, a local Firestone dealer can also mount and balance them. But your best bet may be a retail wheel & tuner store -- they'll use stick on weights which won't damage your alloy wheels.

I've researched all of the tires I suggested to make sure they have above-average ride-quality and above-average noise characteristics.
Old 07-30-2008 | 06:48 AM
6th Gear

Still Looking

Everyone is sugesting one Tire ... out of experience we should have rated the tires like 1, 2, 3 for TL by now
I will have to do more research...
Old 07-30-2008 | 10:21 AM
3rd Gear

I recently replaced the tires on my 2006 6 speed TL at approximately 30,000 miles. There was plenty of tread left on the OEM Michelins but quite frankly, I didnt like them. I did a lot of research on what I wanted and eventually decided on the BF Goodrich G Force Super sport A/S. I went up one size...245/45-17. Usually I buy from Tire Rack but Costco sells BFG and the price, including sales tax and installation was approximately $570 after a $60 rebate. This is about the same amount it would have cost me to buy from Tire Rack and have them mounted at my friendly local gas station but given that I get lifetime free balancing and rotation from Costco, I went with them. So far, after 3,000 miles Im very satisfied. I also run them at the higher pressures recommended in the owners manual for high performance use so that once the tires are warmed up, I am running at about 41/36 on the road. On trips, at a steady 75MPH cruise, I am getting 28MPG.
Old 07-30-2008 | 11:24 AM
6th Gear

DNMEI How about the noise? i read somewhere that BF tires have lot of noise. You don't feel that in your tires???
Old 07-30-2008 | 01:08 PM
zaino'd

I just got some A/S Falken 912s for $104/tire.

Ride is quiet
Old 07-30-2008 | 11:11 PM
Fresher the Better

Originally Posted by raviknp
Everyone is sugesting one Tire
Begging your pardon, I suggested more than one. There are two votes for the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum. Quiet and comfortable ride. Decent all-weather handling, very good price.

Another tire you should consider is this one:

TOYO VERSADO LX

All the tires I suggested (other than the Falken) will fit the bill for you. Base your decision now on price, availability, and personal preference.
Old 07-30-2008 | 11:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by raviknp
Thanks a lot for all the replies. I appreciate the help.

I am looking for all season tires. I am from St Louis and it snows for couple of months, it rains a lot (lately) and it has hot summers. So for me my tires need to work all seasons.

AMaybe a stupid question but if i ship my tires who will put them on for me? I am not good at these things...
Do this, find the tire you want and get the price from tire rack. Print it out and take it to any tire shop, sam's, costco, discount tire, etc. and ask them to price match the tires. My local discoun tire did that, that saved me over 400 dollars alone...
Old 07-30-2008 | 11:39 PM
zaino'd

Discounttiredirect.com has some pretty low prices.... FYI
Old 07-30-2008 | 11:52 PM
Racer

I suggest doing a search. The best All Season (A/S) tires are the top tires according to tirerack surveyed results:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

For the 3rd Gen TL, I wouldn't strap Touring tires on their. I suggest going Ultra High Performance A/S if you're already in that price range. Here are the top 4 in that category.

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position 1
Yokohama ADVAN S.4. 2
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP 3
Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season 4
Old 07-31-2008 | 01:58 AM
Intermediate

I just got new tires about a week ago.. I did a lot of researching and I finally decided to go with TOYO PROXES 4. It ran me about 800 installed. I love them. They are very quite and they stick to the road. This is just my opinion. Good luck finding some tires.
Old 07-31-2008 | 02:52 PM
Suzuka Master

I am leaning towards the General Exclaim UHP here in San Diego I think that summer tires will work fine all year. anyone have any experience with these?
Old 07-31-2008 | 09:40 PM
Fresher the Better

Originally Posted by binhsterbinh
For the 3rd Gen TL, I wouldn't strap Touring tires on their.
The O.E. tires on the 2005 TL are A/S Grand Touring tires. I'm unaware of any performance A/S tire that will give the same kind of comfort level as a Grand Touring tire. Although personally, for safety reasons, I would rather have a performance A/S tire than a Grand Touring tire, the OP indicated comfort was paramount.
Originally Posted by acuratl2005
I did a lot of researching and I finally decided to go with TOYO PROXES 4.
According to the most recent review by Consumer Reports, the Proxes 4 had the worst rating for comfort, noise and snow traction of all recently tested performance A/S tires. OTOH, it scored better than average for wet & ice braking and hydroplaning resistance. But for someone looking for maximum comfort, even within the performance A/S category there are better choices.
Originally Posted by pohljm
I am leaning towards the General Exclaim UHP ... anyone have any experience with these?
Just installed them on my '99TL. The first thing I noticed, before they were even mounted, was that the sidewall had far more flex than that of my prior tires, which were the BF Goodrich g-Force Sports. The first thing I noticed when I drove on them was that they not surprisingly, provided a significantly better ride quality. Steering response was not as sharp, but decent. Noise was quieter at most speeds, but about the same at 65+MPH. I haven't cornered hard yet, but I cannot imagine they will keep pace with the g-Force Sports which had solid shoulder blocks and sidewall inserts. Once I have around 1,000 miles on them, I'll do some hard cornering runs and quick steering changes and report back. Dry breaking was clearly inferior, but I'm sure wet accelleration will be superior. At around $12 less per tire, and a $50 gift card on top of that, I don't have much to complain.
Old 08-01-2008 | 12:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TLAwesome
The O.E. tires on the 2005 TL are A/S Grand Touring tires. I'm unaware of any performance A/S tire that will give the same kind of comfort level as a Grand Touring tire. Although personally, for safety reasons, I would rather have a performance A/S tire than a Grand Touring tire, the OP indicated comfort was paramount.
According to the most recent review by Consumer Reports, the Proxes 4 had the worst rating for comfort, noise and snow traction of all recently tested performance A/S tires. OTOH, it scored better than average for wet & ice braking and hydroplaning resistance. But for someone looking for maximum comfort, even within the performance A/S category there are better choices.
Just installed them on my '99TL. The first thing I noticed, before they were even mounted, was that the sidewall had far more flex than that of my prior tires, which were the BF Goodrich g-Force Sports. The first thing I noticed when I drove on them was that they not surprisingly, provided a significantly better ride quality. Steering response was not as sharp, but decent. Noise was quieter at most speeds, but about the same at 65+MPH. I haven't cornered hard yet, but I cannot imagine they will keep pace with the g-Force Sports which had solid shoulder blocks and sidewall inserts. Once I have around 1,000 miles on them, I'll do some hard cornering runs and quick steering changes and report back. Dry breaking was clearly inferior, but I'm sure wet accelleration will be superior. At around $12 less per tire, and a $50 gift card on top of that, I don't have much to complain.
Bridgestone Potenza 960. Actually quieter than the oem Turanzas and far better in all other aspects as well. Except for maybe gas mileage.
Old 08-01-2008 | 11:55 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by anx1300c
Bridgestone Potenza 960. Actually quieter than the oem Turanzas and far better in all other aspects as well. Except for maybe gas mileage.
Word. Grand Touring doesn't always mean quieter.

raviknp:

I purchased the Good Year F1 A/S as my driving is similar to yours and don't have many complaints. Yes, they're noisier than the Mich Pilot HX crap that came with the car, but they are simply amazing in the rain. I've never had a stickier tire in the rain. The rubber compound grabs those wet roads very well. I never spin out (unlike the Pilot HX) in the rain at all unless I'm straight up mashing the throttle from a stop.

As for snow traction, they're probably one of the best A/S tires you'll find for snow as well along with the Bridgestone 960 and Continental Extreme Contact(which don't shine anywhere else besides maybe rain). The F1 A/S can attribute its better snow capability to the wide grooves that will resist the snow from building up in the tread. It isn't a replacement though for a dedicated snow tire though as I still got stuck on a steep a$$ hill where my GF's Protege behind me didn't have any issues at all running BF Goodrich Winter Slalom Studs. I ended up purchasing 215/60/16 Winter Slaloms and installed them on 16" wheels after this horrible experience. The width 235/245mm is what really kills the TL in the snow(narrower is better). I also went down some mountain passes in compact snow/ice and the car was difficult to keep in a straight line and pulled into every track it could find. With snow tires, I had to try to get the traction control/ ABS to engage.

If you're trying to go all year on A/S tires, I'd say go with the 960 A/S or F1 A/S. They're slightly noisier and are firmer than OEM tires, but they'll allow you to have fun at the same time while adding a higher margin of overall safety when you really need it. FYI, my next set will probably be the 960 A/S or its update. I've heard a lot of rave for it so I'll try it out. Currently at 15000 miles on F1 A/S and have at least 50-60% tread left.
Old 08-02-2008 | 12:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Word. Grand Touring doesn't always mean quieter.

raviknp:

I purchased the Good Year F1 A/S as my driving is similar to yours and don't have many complaints. Yes, they're noisier than the Mich Pilot HX crap that came with the car, but they are simply amazing in the rain. I've never had a stickier tire in the rain. The rubber compound grabs those wet roads very well. I never spin out (unlike the Pilot HX) in the rain at all unless I'm straight up mashing the throttle from a stop.

As for snow traction, they're probably one of the best A/S tires you'll find for snow as well along with the Bridgestone 960 and Continental Extreme Contact(which don't shine anywhere else besides maybe rain). The F1 A/S can attribute its better snow capability to the wide grooves that will resist the snow from building up in the tread. It isn't a replacement though for a dedicated snow tire though as I still got stuck on a steep a$$ hill where my GF's Protege behind me didn't have any issues at all running BF Goodrich Winter Slalom Studs. I ended up purchasing 215/60/16 Winter Slaloms and installed them on 16" wheels after this horrible experience. The width 235/245mm is what really kills the TL in the snow(narrower is better). I also went down some mountain passes in compact snow/ice and the car was difficult to keep in a straight line and pulled into every track it could find. With snow tires, I had to try to get the traction control/ ABS to engage.

If you're trying to go all year on A/S tires, I'd say go with the 960 A/S or F1 A/S. They're slightly noisier and are firmer than OEM tires, but they'll allow you to have fun at the same time while adding a higher margin of overall safety when you really need it. FYI, my next set will probably be the 960 A/S or its update. I've heard a lot of rave for it so I'll try it out. Currently at 15000 miles on F1 A/S and have at least 50-60% tread left.
Check out the Yokohama Advan S4 too. Supposedly not quite as good as the Potenza in snow/rain, but a little better in the dry. Since you run snows, they may work better for you. Plus you don't have to worry about the purported gas mileage penalty associated with the Potenzas.

I've had the 960's on for less than a week, so I can't say too much yet, except that I cannot believe how smooth and quiet they are. Looking forward to running them in some hard rain.
Old 08-02-2008 | 03:27 PM
Suzuka Master

I got a set of the general exclaim UHP's at discount tire yesterday, price matched to tire rack. So far they are very smooth and quiet with excellent grip. I will post back my findings after a few thousand miles
Old 08-02-2008 | 05:11 PM
Pro

I suggest doing a search. The best All Season (A/S) tires are the top tires according to tirerack surveyed results:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

For the 3rd Gen TL, I wouldn't strap Touring tires on their. I suggest going Ultra High Performance A/S if you're already in that price range. Here are the top 4 in that category.

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position 1
Yokohama ADVAN S.4. 2
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP 3
Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season 4

I'd steer away from the YOKO's if you live where it snows. I have them and I'm sorry! They are awesome 3 seasons, but suck in the snow big time.
Old 08-03-2008 | 12:38 PM
6th Gear

Finally I went with Bridgestone 960 PS after reading lot of posts in this thread and also reviews in Tirerack.com site. I ordered them and after I put them on I will write a review of how I feel.
Thanks again for all the responses.
Old 08-21-2008 | 07:18 PM
2010 WDP TL Tech

I finally got my A-spec rims and need to get tires now. However I'm torn between the Kumho LX Platinum, Yokohama W4S and the Toyo Versado LX in 245 40 18. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 08-22-2008 | 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

W4s....hands down!
Old 08-23-2008 | 06:21 PM
2010 WDP TL Tech

I went with the Toyo Versado LX 245 40 18. I got them for $175 installed.
Old 08-25-2008 | 02:27 PM
'06 NBP TL 6spd

Originally Posted by pohljm
I am leaning towards the General Exclaim UHP here in San Diego I think that summer tires will work fine all year. anyone have any experience with these?
my buddy just got them for his Prelude, he thinks they wear too quickly, has less than 10k miles
Old 08-25-2008 | 11:58 PM
Fresher the Better

Originally Posted by maxAmillion
I went with the Toyo Versado LX 245 40 18. I got them for $175 installed.
How do you like them so far? Please post a photo of the tire when you have a chance!
Old 08-26-2008 | 03:59 PM
Keeping it simple

No mentions these but Im currently running Nankangs and they are quite and provide all of my essential needs....price is not bad on them either!!!