Having Major Problems With 18in Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 10:07 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having Major Problems With 18in Wheels

HEY GUYS! IM NEW TO THE SITE. JUST LITTLE INFO ON MY TL. 2004 MODEL,SILVER, 6 SPEED, 18in WHEELS, LIP SPOILER. BOUGHT IN JUNE 04, JUST HIT 3000 MILES.

HERE GOES. I WASNT HAVING ANY PROBLEMS INITIALY WITH THE CAR, SINCE I WASNT DRIVING FAR TO WORK AND NOT GOING AT HIGH SPEEDS. 2 WEEKS LATER WHEN I FINALLY TOOK IT OVER 45MPH, THE CAR STARTED TO SHAKE AND THE STEERING WHEEL SHOOK AS WELL,WAS WORSE. TOOK IT IN THE DEALERSHIP, THEY SAID THAT THEY FORGOT TO BALANCE THE WHEELS SINCE THEY ORDERED THEM IN FOR ME!? GOT IT BACK, IT DROVE FINE. BUT A COUPLE WEEKS LATER WHEN I WAS DRIVING ON I95 I FINALLY OPENED THE CAR UP AND TOOK IT PAST 80MPH, IT STARTED TO DO IT AGAIN. THE VIBRATION AND SHAKING WAS STAYING IN THE 60-80MPH RANGE EVERYTIME I DROVE IT AGAIN. I WENT BACK TO THE DEALERSHIP, THEY ROTATED THE TIRES FROM BACK TO FRONT, VICE VERSA, IT MADE IT WORSE. THEY SAID IT COULD BE BENT RIMS. BUT I DOUBT ALL FOUR ARE BENT. THEY EVENTUALLY SAID THEY WERE GOING TO RE-BALANCE THEM FOR ME. I TOOK MY CAR IN ON SEPT. 30TH AND DIDNT GET IT BACK UNTIL OCT 13TH. THEY EVENTUALLY REPLACED ALL THE WHEELS WITH ANOTHER SET. ONE GUY KEPT CLAIMING THEY WERE BENT, BUT WHEN I ASK HIM WHAT THE MECHANIC SAID, HE STATED THAT THEY WERE FINE. THEY WERE MORE CONFUSED THAN I WAS. BOTTOM LINE IS, THAT WITH THE NEW SET OF WHEELS, I AM STILL GETTING THE VIBRATION AT 75-80 MPH, AND IT ACTUALLY SEEMS TO BE GETTING WORSE!! I CALLED THE DEALERSHIP BACK TO LET THEM KNOW, BUT THEY WERENT REALLY INTERESTED TO HEAR ME AGAIN. ON TOP OF IT ALL, MY LIP SPOILER IS ALSO COMING UNGLUED. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT THIS SATURDAY, I WONDER WHAT THEY'RE GOING TO DO AND SAY.
I KNOW IM PROBABLY BORING SOME OF YOU WITH THIS LONG MSG, BUT I'M WONDERING IF ANYONE IS HAVING THE SAME ISSUES WITH THE 18S? I KNOW THE 17S ARE A CONCERN. MY NEXT STEP IS TO CONTACT MY LAWYER TO GO ABOUT THE LEMON LAW,SINCEW IT'S BEEN IN THREE TIMES AND THE PROBLEM IS NOT FIXED. I WISH I WASNT DOING THIS, BUT HEY I PAID OVER 35K FOR THE CAR. I SHOULD AT LEAST GET A COUPLE OF YEARS WITH NO PROBLEMS RIGHT? PLEASE LET ME KNOW OF ANYTHING U GUYS HERE OR RECOMMENDATIONS.

THANKS
Old 10-19-2004, 10:11 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

first, welcome to the board.

second, i cant help you sorry.

third, easy with the caps please...

-justin
Old 10-19-2004, 10:23 PM
Advanced

Hey, sorry to hear that. Do you have the A-spec 18"s?
Anyways, if you've went to the dealer 3 times and the problem hasn't been fixed, go with the lemon law. You'll need those service documents and stuff.
Good luck. I hope you could get a new one.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:30 PM
Safety Car

take it to another dealership, sounds like crap to me. have them check the alignment on the car. it could be slightly off and you will not notice it until higher speeds.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:42 PM
Racer

What dealer is this??
Old 10-20-2004, 03:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that my friend is called the shimmy.
i get it at about 70-75MPH. i'll get it checked when i go in for service.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:59 PM
10th Gear

they are the A-spec wheels with michelin pilots. i'm really getting frustrated, its actually getting worse by the day. i'll find out when i take it in on saturday. its Ardmore Acura on lancaster ave. next step is to go for the lemon law. i cant see myself driving this car the way it is. imagine what may happen if its a year old! thanks for the replies.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:38 PM
Instructor

Ahh much better. You apparently found the caps lock key.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might want to try a road force balance. If that does not workhave them look to se if there is a high spot in the tire.

I had the same problem with my Odyssey and it took a different set of new tires to solve the problem.

Good Luck
Old 10-20-2004, 09:21 PM
10th Gear

thanks. i will give them that option to put a new set of tires if that is going to work.

YO FOR MISTER LAWYER AND @CUR@, THIS IS FOR YOU. IF U SPEND YOUR TIME SURFING AROUND TO CRITIQUE, THEN FUCK OFF! I DIDNT READ ANY RULES ABOUT USING CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!

I GUESS @CUR@ IS BORED SINCE HOCKEY IS ON LOCKOUT, EH QUEBECOIS?
Old 10-21-2004, 01:44 AM
Instructor

Wow, Park ex you really took a turn for the worst. I'm sure Mister Lawyer didn't mean anything personal. Anyway I wanted to mention that I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my A-spec rims too a couple days ago and haven't experienced unusual.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:38 PM
Racer

It sounds like the dealer's tire balancing machine is way out of calibration and/or the dude doing the work does not have a clue. Many dealers and tire stores do not have machines orginally designed for 18" wheels. From my experience and reports from tire store guys, Michelins are the best overall tires for trueness. Ask your dealer to take your car to a tire expert, preferably someone with the new Hunter 9700 tire system. Check Hunter's website for a service center near you. The hastle you'll experience returning a car under Lemon Laws (and don't forget the reasonable use fees!) will be much greater than following my recommendation.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:24 PM
i souport publik edekason

Originally Posted by PARK EX
thanks. i will give them that option to put a new set of tires if that is going to work.

YO FOR MISTER LAWYER AND @CUR@, THIS IS FOR YOU. IF U SPEND YOUR TIME SURFING AROUND TO CRITIQUE, THEN FUCK OFF! I DIDNT READ ANY RULES ABOUT USING CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!

I GUESS @CUR@ IS BORED SINCE HOCKEY IS ON LOCKOUT, EH QUEBECOIS?

Easy bud...

I thought is was common netiquette to not use caps... Unless you plan to portray yourself as yelling...

Peace bud...
Salut
Ciao
Old 10-23-2004, 02:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pettydw
It sounds like the dealer's tire balancing machine is way out of calibration and/or the dude doing the work does not have a clue. Many dealers and tire stores do not have machines orginally designed for 18" wheels. From my experience and reports from tire store guys, Michelins are the best overall tires for trueness. Ask your dealer to take your car to a tire expert, preferably someone with the new Hunter 9700 tire system. Check Hunter's website for a service center near you. The hastle you'll experience returning a car under Lemon Laws (and don't forget the reasonable use fees!) will be much greater than following my recommendation.
Good advice, although you sound like a Budweiser commercial (True... True). I'm on Michelin Pilot A/S and haven't had any problems. The brand or model of your tire you choose doesn't really matter much if they aren't balanced correctly.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:54 PM
9th Gear

I have 05 18" x 8" A-spec rims with Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires. The tires had to be mounted pressurized then broken loose 3 times each to get the Hunter GSP 9700 to accept them for balancing. The Hunter GSP 9700 rejected them because of excessive run out upon further inspection we could see the tire bead was not perfectly seated. Either the bead on the tires or the bead area of the rims made these very frustrating to seat lots of lube was used 60 psi was the limit pressure wise so as not to damage the tires. But in the end the car has no vibration and no radial pull.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:56 PM
10th Gear

went to the dealership today; they fixed the wing problem, they just put more glue. But for the wheels, i have to wait again, since the service mgr wasnt there and they didnt have an extra loaner for me. They said to probably stop in on tuesday. i talked to the sales and finance mgr, and they're assuring me that it will get fixed. but when?? this will be the fourth time in. they were trying to tell me its the roads i drive on. i tried my car on numerous road to make sure of that, and it is the same everywhere. it's actually getting worse everyday with this vibration. the damage is done---i had to resort to this. i called a lawyer for the lemon law policy and he said i have strong case to fight this. he said since my car was in just 20 days after i bought it and with like only 200 miles on it. i'll let u guys know how it proceeds. if i end up winning, goodbye acura, hello german cars again!! doln't want another one.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:35 PM
Pro

From my understanding of the lemon law, potential problems with the tires and wheels will not entitle anyone to a new car. It will have to be a mechanical problem that inhibits the driveability of the car.

You will have a hard time convincing anyone in the legal system that your car needs to be replaced so you can drive comfortably over the speed limit (75-80Mph)

Also, CAPs is considered yelling and is harder to read for most people than regular type, so thats why people are breaking your balls for it.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:07 AM
10th Gear

apwalsh--That's why i asked the lawyer about. i was a little skeptical about going for the lemon, with a wheel issue. but he confirmed that since u took it in so quick after u bought it and it has real low miles, it is affecting the use of the car, even if it is a high speeds. i dont know. im just trying it out if i can. he said there is no cost to this even if i lose. if i win, acura is responsible. i'll be getting the papers this weeks and double check the legal costs and if there is any hidden fees he didnt say about.

i guess you're right with the caps thing, but i got to break the other guys' balls as well. its only fair!