Has anybody used H speed rated tires on your TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anybody used H speed rated tires on your TL

Just trying to find out if anybody put on H speed rated tires vs the W rated that came on the car. If so what did you think thanks
Old 10-24-2006, 04:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
H rated tires are only good till 130 mph, W up to 168. max speed on the tl is governed at about 150. even if you do not ever plan on hitting 130 I would advise against going down in speed rating from the OEM. I guess that could be one way to tell if your buddy who borrowed your car had some fun in your TL, I just would not want to be involved in that lawsuit when one of the tires disintegrate at 140.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:20 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
The ratings are based on continuous driving at the rated speed, I believe I read once 3 hours. So the likelihood of a catostrophic tire failure due to traveling above the rated speed is probably remote, but lawsuits aren't always based on logic.

A more real impact would be handling. The higher the speed rating and the stiffer the sidewall. Going to an H-rated would likely give you a softer ride with a degradation in handling (relatively speaking).
Old 10-25-2006, 07:32 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I went from OEM HPT (Bridgestone Potenza RE030) to Pirelli PNero Zero M&S to Yokohama AVID H4S on my 04 6MT. I will write a detailed comparison as soon as I get a chance to drive the Yokohamas on wet roads.

My overall comparison is very much in favor or the Yokohamas. Much better ride, handling the same except when pushed to breaking loose and then close, very quiet, better gas mileage (2 mpg) and much less expensive. The only question now is how they will handle in wet weather and it hasn’t rained here since May (and it never snows).

I chose the Yokohamas based on a mathematical analysis I did on all tire rack reviews of tires that fit the TL. I tried getting the info posted as a sticky, but only a math major would be interested in all the numbers.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Pro

Thanks I understand all about tires and their ratings. I was just trying to see if anybody noticed the softer sidewall of the H rated tire ie. in the turns. Thanks again.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jime
I went from OEM HPT (Bridgestone Potenza RE030) to Pirelli PNero Zero M&S to Yokohama AVID H4S on my 04 6MT. I will write a detailed comparison as soon as I get a chance to drive the Yokohamas on wet roads.

My overall comparison is very much in favor or the Yokohamas. Much better ride, handling the same except when pushed to breaking loose and then close, very quiet, better gas mileage (2 mpg) and much less expensive. The only question now is how they will handle in wet weather and it hasn’t rained here since May (and it never snows).

I chose the Yokohamas based on a mathematical analysis I did on all tire rack reviews of tires that fit the TL. I tried getting the info posted as a sticky, but only a math major would be interested in all the numbers.
I need your advice. Within the last year I have noticed an increase in tire noise and vibration especially past 70 mph. I have 23k mileage on the Bridgestone HPT OEM tires. I will probably get new set by 30k mileage. Can you particularize the difference between your new Yokohama vs RE 30. I guess I am looking for a much quieter ride through a tire that does not transmit every road imperfection into the cabin.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:40 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by ngg19
I need your advice. Within the last year I have noticed an increase in tire noise and vibration especially past 70 mph. I have 23k mileage on the Bridgestone HPT OEM tires. I will probably get new set by 30k mileage. Can you particularize the difference between your new Yokohama vs RE 30. I guess I am looking for a much quieter ride through a tire that does not transmit every road imperfection into the cabin.
No mathmatical methods are needed. I too had the OEM HP Bridgestones. In short.... Almost EVERY tire will be quieter... LOL. I also wanted great wet and dry performance so I went with the Dunlop 9000 High performance tire in a 245/45-17. Much, much quieter but these too wear out quickly (around 22K miles as my original HPT's did). Remember that when you have an annual inspection performed the tires much have a certain amount of tread. You may "think" that you can "get by" for a while yet but the inspector may not agree. IMHO unless you want to retain that "stick to the road" effect these high end ($150 each) cost, I would go to a lower end tire. The General UHP's seem to be VERY popular and are around $80/tire with a much longer treadwear so that is probably the direction I am moving next. Only decision now is... "What size rim am I going to put on the back momma now"...Good luck with your search!
Old 11-22-2006, 06:57 AM
Racer

If you want a mathmatical comparison take a look at my database at http://home.comcast.net/~jherick/TL/tires.htm

I made this database using the information from tire rack and it is what I used in deciding to purchase the Yokohama H4s tires that I am very pleased with.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
jime, why is the H4s not in your database?
Old 11-22-2006, 02:10 PM
Racer

jime, why is the H4s not in your database? (how do you make this highlighted?)

Because Tire Rack chose only to test the V4s.

When I considered the tires I made the assumption that the only difference would be the speed rating, as the V4s and H4s look identical and have identical specifications except for the rating. Based on 5,000 miles on the H4s tires, I think it was a good assumption. Also there was the problem that the V4s don't come in a 235/45/ 17 or 245/45/17 size.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:47 AM
Intermediate

yoko's

i have the Yoko's....my oem's were MXM's.....

the difference in the rain is amazing.....the MXM's sucked, the Yoko's are great