H&R Coilovers, install problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 03:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H&R Coilovers, install problem?

Just installed my H&R Coilover today at a local shop. After the install there is a weird noise in the front. Sounds like something is loose and metal is hitting metal. The "ding" sound only happend when I go over a bump or pothole. I turned the car off and jumped on the passenger side by the seats, the car goes up and down smooth but no sound. Only when going over bumps or holes. Any suggestions, advice or theories? The guy at the shop said the coilover kit was missing a rubber gasket thing. He said the "clamp" that holds the strut is tigh but the strut moves a bit side to side cuz there is suppose to be a rubber washer thing between the strut and clamp. Does that make sense?
Old 09-24-2009, 06:51 AM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
They should not have installed the kit if it was missing anything that could not be substituted. I installed 2 of these kits and there was no part as descibed above. The bottom of the strut mounts in the fork, which clamps onto the strut body as you torque the bolt. There is no gasket/washer there.

I hope the guy isn't talking about the nylon washer that the spring rests on, above the lock nuts. You need that washer so the spring doesn't bind when you adjust the height, with the 2 lock nuts on the strut body. If your missing that part, everthing has to taken apart to install that washer.

On my kit, I had to add 2 wave washers up front because the springs were tearing up the nylon washer. I couldn't imagine trying to adjust these with out that washer at all. Have someone who knows suspension/coilovers well take a look at it. H&R should help you out if you are missing anything. Also, I wouldn't have any faith in that mechanic if they let you drive away with the suspension missing parts and making noises. That's no right at all.

You can see the blue metal waher I added over the nylon washer:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=coilover
Old 09-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Intermediate

thanks for the info.
but i dont think thats what he was talking about because I saw the kit before the install and I know that it did come with those washers (the washer under the spring)

He said it was missing a rubber washer type thing that goes around the stut, at the lower part of the strut torwards the bottom end.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

I do not think that part exists. There was nothing like that on the 2 kits I installed. You can see the bottom of both front struts in my thread. The bottom goes all the way into the upper portion of the fork, metal on metal. The bottom of the fork attached to the bushing on the lower control arm.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:44 AM
Intermediate

Does anyone have any pics of H&R coilovers installed?
Old 09-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Stickr Mstr

Try pm :princelybug
I road in his type-s...dang felt good, good dampening, smooth.
I have megan coils, there just as good.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:07 AM
I ♡ PEK PEK

Installed H&R's yesterday and we're having the same issue but coming from the back.

Adjusting them is a pain in the ass, the nylon washer got chewed up really fast and one spring is gouging the adjustment nut. After my experience with installing these, we should 've gone with the Tein SS instead.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:35 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I also have squeaking in the rear. It's mostly when there's passengers back there.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Originally Posted by n0rmal
Installed H&R's yesterday and we're having the same issue but coming from the back.

Adjusting them is a pain in the ass, the nylon washer got chewed up really fast and one spring is gouging the adjustment nut. After my experience with installing these, we should 've gone with the Tein SS instead.
I had the same problem. I fixed it by using a wave washer. Check out my link above to the reiview I did and solution to this issue. I had to get new locking nuts from H&R, the spring was tearing up the nut pretty bad. Basically went from not being able to adjust, to smooth adjusting.

One important sequence DIY'rs tend to miss on some suspension mods, is to bring the suspension to normal ride height BEFORE you torque the fasteners.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:26 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
OP, check ur endlinks for abnormal play. after installing and uninstaling my suspension several times, i see that the endlink gets worn easily. i had a noise for the longest and attributed it to my suspension setup but it was the endlinks after all.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:40 PM
I ♡ PEK PEK

Fixed our noise issue today f'n finally. The bottom rubber bushing was in the wrong place. Still having issue with the nylon washer and the adjusting nuts. I want to call H&R for replacement parts but it will be hell again if I need to take this suspension apart again. I literally had to use spring compressors in order to adjust the height.

The Teins in my car are so much better in this regard.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:55 PM
I ♡ PEK PEK

Forgot to mention the TEIN spanners were better at adjusting the H&R Coils than the HR spanners.

The owner of the car that we installed the suspension on is even considering buying them.