Fu***n Discount Tire

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
Angry Fu***n Discount Tire

It's been about 3 weeks now and I am finally posting my dilema. I bought some new tires from discount and they JACKED up 2 of my wheels. I didn't notice until I got home - (yes I know... My fault for not checking when I was still there) None the less I called them the next morning, after I had calmed down. Explained the situation and they kindly said they have a repair shop that cold fix them and they would be happy to take care of it.

Once the repair shop got a hold of them the guy called me and said that he could not propoerly fix the wheels and tehy would have to be sent out to texas. Still on Discounts bill I said no problem. Now I have the wheels back in my posession and I am not happy with the results. The dents are gone but the finish on the lip is just not the same. It looks cloudy and does not match the other 2 wheels. Which is sad because the wheels are 2 years old and you would think the "fixed" ones would look great.

The wheels are racing Hart CR's and unfortunatley they have been discontinued for a few years now. No real chance at finding 2 new ones.
I also called Dazz motorsports and asked for their sugeestions on maybe how I can get the wheels re finished so all 4 will match. They did not have an answer for me but did say that the finish on the lip is vacume sealed and myabe that's why they do not match. Any suggestions?

P.S. I'll say it before anyone else does. I am at work and cannot post pics rignt now. I'll try and post some tonight so you guys can see.

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:29 PM
usc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about your wheel woes.

I learned long ago that you need to find a real shop to swap tires. It seems easier to mount the tires w/o scratching up the rims. Most of the time, the damage is done when they're removing the tire.

Perhaps it'd be a good excuse to swap rims every 2 years. When the tires are worn down, you can sell the wheels/tires to someone and recupe most of the cost of the rims and just buy new tires and rims so you never have to deal with it. Let it be someone else's hassle/problem to find decent shops w/ decent employees that won't scratch up rims.

Last edited by usc; 10-24-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Moved to the LOU

I know and it is partially my fault for going there in the first place... I only used them because of the Road Force balancer. It was the only shop near me that had one. I guess I could of had them mounted elsewhere and then balanced at Discount. LESSON LEARNED!
Old 10-24-2008, 04:38 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
damn kid, I only hear horror stories everytime peeps get tires mounted, all it takes is for the damn machine to have rubber on the part that comes in contact to th lip... most machines I've seen the rubber is down to the metal it is a shame for real
Old 10-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune!!

I actually used to work at one of the discount stores here in colorado, and I can't speak for all stores but anytime the rubber had worn down we would put new arms on to prevent such instances. Also tho having a bunch of kids working on your car can lead to such things because they are impatient. They should take their time and be more carfule while busting out 2-300 cars a day
Old 10-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Instructor

That stinks. I feel your pain.

I don't mean to rub salt into open wounds. Just wanted to share my Racing Hart story. It is unfortunate that they tried but could not refinish your wheels.

I used to own a 2000 GS-R with 3-piece Racing Hart M5 wheels, Paid $525 each for them. They were GORGEOUS and fit my WDP GS-R soooo well...Anywho...

http://www.globalautoshop.com/wheels/racing_hart.htm

I was living in Florida at the time, and somehow the finish developed spots/discoloration. I called the shop and they had me contact Dazz Motorsports directly. They basically told me that Racing Hart is a Japanese company that uses a "Proprietary" manufacturing method for their wheels and NO ONE in the US has the exact capability to repair or refinish them. I was scratching my head in disbelief. $2200 in rims and "SORRY...Nothing can be done!"????????????

And to add insult to injury on my end, I also learned, at that time, they were so "secret", that if I would have broken ONE bolt, SORRY...they don't supply replacement parts. I had to buy a new wheel for ONE STUD.

It sounds they did everything they could to remedy the problem...IMO Racing HART SUCKS. I hope you'd agree.

Coy
Old 10-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't understand how a tire place would have a road force balancer and not a decent tire machine.

When I went to have my EXEs mounted from the company that I bought them from, they tried to give me some crazy disclaimer about the possibility of the bead ripping on the tires when they dismount them (I was going to reuse my tires, just swap wheels). I thanked them and told them to put everything in my car and I took it somewhere else to get mounted.

Dude lost $100 on the sale. I'm not going to be held liable for someone else's mistake.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:24 AM
Advanced

Bastards!

Your thread has just pissed me off! What the F is going on! It's not just Discount Tire Bro! I am going on the 4th set of wheels in 2 years. Acura dealer f'd the first set and had to replace them. Then I hit a split in the freeway and perma-f'd all 4. Had them replaced, but found that the co. that did the work, scratched the shit out of the powder coated surface. They tried to fix it, but only made them worse, they buffed all of the lettering off the lip, and painted the centers the wrong color. It has been 2 1/2 months since I turned my car in, and the wheels that I picked out, are 5-8 weeks lead time from Japan. I am ready to go back to having stock wheels! No one does good work any more, they are all a bunch of hung over, strung out, stoned, drug addict pieces of crap workers at 99.5% of the shops now.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:38 AM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by davejsbx
Your thread has just pissed me off! What the F is going on! It's not just Discount Tire Bro! I am going on the 4th set of wheels in 2 years. Acura dealer f'd the first set and had to replace them. Then I hit a split in the freeway and perma-f'd all 4. Had them replaced, but found that the co. that did the work, scratched the shit out of the powder coated surface. They tried to fix it, but only made them worse, they buffed all of the lettering off the lip, and painted the centers the wrong color. It has been 2 1/2 months since I turned my car in, and the wheels that I picked out, are 5-8 weeks lead time from Japan. I am ready to go back to having stock wheels! No one does good work any more, they are all a bunch of hung over, strung out, stoned, drug addict pieces of crap workers at 99.5% of the shops now.
I learned from friends and family that if you value your wheels, it's best to just not have them on the car when it goes into the shop. My goal was to leave enough tread on my stockers that I could just throw them on for shop visits. They are a little past worn but I'll do the speed limit that day if it means some gorilla doesn't carve his initials in them.

Dude, I grew up with T*** Kingdom dissapointing me. The average alignment required me taking the car back about 3 times just to get it straight or resolve disputes.

My car spent 3 hours at TK recently just to tell me that they might damage the TPMS sensor if they try squeezing the tires on. Then he had the gaul to try and recommend me to the TK "Performance Center", which specializes in this kind of install. Thanks, but no thanks.

Went to the shop (private) that my local dealer sends aftermarket jobs to. They were $50 cheaper, didn't mind me inside the bay with them, and replaced a bad TPMS sensor for free when I came back a couple days later.

Good luck with the touch-up. Screw the tire store chains!
Old 10-25-2008, 08:12 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
The problem is your original two wheels are likely anodized, and the repaired rims have been stripped, repaired and clearcoated, which will likely last only a few years.

I paid $120 for my last mount and balance. I walked in with my $2400 Volk Racing receipt, $620 Falken receipt, brand new Volks, and brand new tires...

asked to speak to the manager. We inspected both items together. I stated the simplest blemish would result in a new rim. No repairs, no hack jobs. Put your best tech on these, I'll pay a bit more for the insurance.

If you value your expensive/rar rims, you MUST do this.

- Pick a reputable shop
- Explain your concern to the manager
- Ask to mee the tech who's doing the work, explain your concern to them
- Be prepred to pay a few bucks more
Old 10-25-2008, 11:13 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

or like 3zero3kid said, just ask for a new arm to be put on the machine, it is the only spot that can hack a lip... so why not insist it have fresh rubber... and then ask them to lube it up like a virgin lol
Old 10-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Moved to the LOU

Finally got this resolved. They paid to have them sent to another repair shop and the results are great. needless to say it's been a 3 week process but am happy with the final results.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:56 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
^ i drove like 60 miles to NJ just to get the tires mounted on my Rays Lexion... they were brand new , and discontinued.. i know if a local $3 tire shop mounted them, i would be shit out of luck... it was worth the drive

FYI... Action Tire in Lodi , NJ to any locals.... they were willing to accept the liabilty of replacing them all, if they f*ed them up
Old 10-25-2008, 10:10 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

^ yea action tire is legit, their machine is spotless
Old 10-25-2008, 11:17 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
even when a TPMS sensor dropped in my Lexions, i drove there to have the tire pulled and re-mounted... they are the shit...

Al, you ever see the cars they've done? Plexico's CL63 was crazy