First Set of replacement tires on my '06 Auto - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Set of replacement tires on my '06 Auto - HELP

I have been reading every post, clicking every link on my google searches, reading all reviews on tirerack and discounttiredirect and the problem is that I cannot find a tire that people don't have something bad to say about them. Whether it's blowouts, bubbles, noise, treadlife, etc...

I only 'need' 2 tires right now, but am considering 4 if the performance/price combo is right.

Here is what is important to me:
1. Tread Life
2. All Season Performance (live in northeast - Philly area)
3. Road noise
4. Price

I am not saying price is not object, but 158 or 180 is really not that big a deal to me. Obviously, cheaper is better all other things being equal.

The tires that I keep coming back to are (in no particular order):
- Mich Pilot A/S Plus
- Mich Pilot Exalto
- Continental ContiProContact
- Yoko Avid w4s
- Yoko Advan S4

I have several questions (Stock is the MXM4 235/45/17):
1. No complaints since I have only had them for 4k miles (bought used) and they seem overpriced, are they?
2. Can I get a larger size, what is the value in a 245 or a 40? Can stock rims handle increase in size (other than diameter)?
3. Do I need to tire pressure sensors with a new tire purchase?
4. Could the dealership rip you off more on tire prices?

A local retail chain is offering 'buy2, get2' deal this weekend on Sumi HTR+ for $526 OR the Yoko AS430 for $565. (includes M/B, 4Whl Align, roadhazard). Anyone know anything about the AS430? Should I avoid? I know they are a special made tire for certain retailers, but I am not sure what other Yoko tire to compare it to.

Please post any knowledge or advice on the tires I have listed above based on my needs.

Thanks in advance
06 Silver Auto
former NSX owner
Old 09-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
1.No complaints since I have only had them for 4k miles (bought used) and they
seem overpriced, are they?
Never had the tires MXM4, but from all reports, they certainly leave a lot to be desired for the $230 price.

2. Can I get a larger size, what is the value in a 245 or a 40? Can stock rims handle increase in size (other than diameter)?
I’d go with the 245/45-17, fills the wheel well a little more as they are slightly larger in diameter and more tread on the road.

You can use the OE TPMS sensor that are on the wheels as long as the shop doesn’t destroy them when removing the tires. Make certain they are aware that the TPMS system is functioning properly, so if a sensor is bad when you leave, the repair is on them.

Dealerships in general can’t compete with discount stores e.g. Tire Rack, Discount Tire etc.

I certainly would not consider the Sumitomo as that is a really inexpensive tire @ 89, ad offers a hard ride.
Not familiar with the Yokohama AS430.

The Yokohama W4s has the widest tread width in a particular size, and a good tire for the money, but both the W4s and S.4 will flat spot after sitting in cold weather. I have the S.4 245/45-17 and the flat spotting is annoying, but goes away after about 1 or 2 miles. I don’t drive the TL in winter, but I would assume the Yoko’s aren’t the greatest in the winter.

Have the Exalto A/S on the daughter’s Maxima, and can't say enough about the tire and is great in winter, but 235 is largest size available and it is only H rated, but if you’re not going over 130MPH good buy.

Michelin Pilot A/S Plus had had many great reviews from users on this site.

Narrow the list down, put them on a board and throw a dart to pick the winner.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,150 Likes on 776 Posts
Originally Posted by watson6505
I have several questions (Stock is the MXM4 235/45/17):
1. No complaints since I have only had them for 4k miles (bought used) and they seem overpriced, are they?
1. The MXM4s wear well-- over 45K miles for me, and still weren't at the wear bars when I traded for Advan S4s. The MXM4s are quiet, but don't have as much ultimate grip at the limit (it's a Touring class tire), and I prefer more grip since I don't have too much rain or inclement weather in SoCal. I think they are the most expensive off-the-shelf tire available for the TL.
2. Yes- there's a lengthy thread here on 245/35s.
3. See Turbonut's answer.
4. Absolutely- go to Costco, Sam's Club, Discount Tire, Tire Rack, or anyone else except the dealer.

Oh, and add the Bridgestone Pole Position 960 A/S to the list-- it was on my short list with the PS2 and the Advans.

Last edited by Will Y.; 09-24-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Fresher the Better

The current BEST UHP A/S tire, which will absolutely meet your requirements and give very good snow performance, is the new Continental ExtremeContact DWS:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=119

Although the DWS was ranked No. 2 compared to the P Zero Nero All Season, read the results. The DWS is just so far superior in the wet that its wet performance more than makes up for its slightly lower score for everyday handling. Similarly, its open-tread design should give it exceptional snow traction for a all-season tire. The icing on the cake was best braking of the group too, both wet & dry.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Instructor

I just put DWS's on my car today. Seems very quiet. I got to experience both the contiextremecontact and the DWS since the tire mechanic at Discount couldnt read. The DWS also seemed to fill out the wheel well better.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Cruisin'

I just reviewed that tirerack test and made this post in antoher thread as it is confusing me:

did anyone look closely at the test results that tirerack posted?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=119

Is it possible that the DWS had a faster slalom time in the wet (4.05) vs. the dry (4.11)? That says a few things to me:
1. The DWS is amazing on wet surfaces
2. The DWS not so good on dry surfaces
3. The DWS wet performance on slalom matches the other 3 brands on dry

Can someone clarify this for me?
Old 09-25-2009, 09:27 PM
2017 TLX TECH V6

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got a set of Dunlop Sport Signature All Seasons from Sam's. They have a good rating on Tire Rack.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Looking at those TireRack test results the DWS seems like it would be perfect for Seattle.