Difference in Teins

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 11:43 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Difference in Teins

Hey guys
I read through some threads on the Teins and they seem to be the way to go fo comfort for the TL when it comes to bang for your buck.

Im a tad confused on what each type does or the difference between them though. So I wanted to see if what you guys knew and see what you guys have thought of sets you have used since I know some of you have used more than one different sets lol

appreciste any info. Just want tyou make the right choice from the get go 👍🏻

Street Basic Z - no dampening
Street Avanced Z - dampening
Street Flex SS - Dampening and built in camber kit?
Old 09-13-2017, 02:58 AM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Street Basic Z - softer spring rates and only height adjustable. ( need front and rear camber kit for lowering)
Street Advanced Z - Harder spring rates adjustable height and 16-way dampening adjustments. ( need front and rear camber kit for lowering)
Street Flex - even sportier spring rates adjustable height and 16 way dampening and top mounts and added drop length ( only rear camber kit needed)
hope this clears things
Old 09-13-2017, 06:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,166 Likes on 877 Posts
You cannot adjust camber on a TL via the shock tophat. So...there is no coilover made that adjusts the camber.

http://www.tein.com

Tein has descriptions of all their products on their website. You can find spring rate info, and any other info you're looking for.

The Basis Z and Advance Z are very similar...except that the Advance has an dial for damper adjustments. They are both height adjustable, but not full body adjustable. Meaning you lose stroke as you lower the car. They're simple, effective, and comfortable.

The Flex Z has damper adjustments and comes with tophats...and is also full body adjustable. If you want to go very low, you definitely want the Flex Z. Its also a bit more sporty. It is, however, more difficult to set up because of its full body adjustment.
The following users liked this post:
sockr1 (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 09:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
read what BROlando wrote. everything he said is true and he is one of the coilover suspension "experts" on here IMO

OP get the street advance and call it a day.

Originally Posted by danarrey562
Street Basic Z - softer spring rates and only height adjustable. ( need front and rear camber kit for lowering)
Street Advanced Z - Harder spring rates adjustable height and 16-way dampening adjustments. ( need front and rear camber kit for lowering)
Street Flex - even sportier spring rates adjustable height and 16 way dampening and top mounts and added drop length ( only rear camber kit needed)
hope this clears things
all of them have the same spring rates...and you don't need front and rear camber kits for lowering. i am not sure how you came to the conclusion that some coilovers need front and rear camber kits and another does not haha. but moot point, you don't need any camber kits for any if you don't want, depends how low you go and what alignment specs you want to run (in other words what stance you want to run)

Last edited by sockr1; 09-13-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:27 PM
Racer

Yeah I'm not trying to go super low or anything. More of a comfort thing as we just threw kids into the mix.

What do do you mean by stance? I wanted as normal tire wear as possible. And I'm by no means a camber/toe expert. Those would've been my next questions
Old 09-13-2017, 03:56 PM
Safety Car

get the street advance and you're good to go. you don't need to look into or think about anything else regarding stance/toe/camber, just make sure you get an alignment after you pick the height you want your car at
Old 09-13-2017, 03:57 PM
Racer

Oh well that makes things a lot easier. And cheaper lol
Old 09-14-2017, 01:25 AM
Racer

I went to go walk by the car in the garage and I was looking and idk if coilovers would do much else. The car is already on the factory aspec suspension. The fronts could drop a tad more, but I don't think the rears could. I'll need to get a better look in the day tomorrow and see if is worth dropping the $500 on coilovers. I was already there with card into in my hand tho lol
Old 09-14-2017, 09:02 AM
Safety Car

sell aspec suspension for 400 and buy tein street advance for 550. source some used to new top hats and you're good to go
depends how many miles are on your suspension now and what your goals are (lower, better handling, new suspension, etc). you didnt' tell us what you were looking for
Old 09-14-2017, 03:30 PM
Racer

I just like the way it looks and I want it to be like stock (tire wear and comfort). Not looking to dump it or anything and not trying to fit aggressive wheels. Just the aspec wheels and I have some spacers I haven't fit yet.

But the car only has 60k miles on it so the suspension itsnt super worn or anything. That's a good point I can sell them though
Old 09-14-2017, 05:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
ossman I would be interested in buying your aspec suspension....
Old 09-14-2017, 05:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MyGuti
ossman I would be interested in buying your aspec suspension....
well then I may have to go ahead and purchase the coilovers lol. I'll message you when I decide to and figure out what we could do
Old 09-14-2017, 08:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
sounds good!
Old 09-22-2017, 11:57 AM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I have had my Tein Street Advance Z's on the car for roughly 7-8 months now. I am very happy with them. I followed others recommendations on the dampening settings and find they ride very well in all settings. Around the city is a little rough, you definitely feel the nuances of the road, but it really isn't that bad. I actually enjoy getting the feedback from the road, you feel a lot more connected to it. On the highway, the car rides great.

The only drawback to the Street Advance Z's is having to swap on the OEM tophat. Marcus at HeelToe offers the option of adding the OEM top hats and an assembly option. I went for this because I didn't feel like doing it myself. Also, this was my first coilover install and didn't want to set them up incorrectly. If these are your first coils, I would recommend the SAZ's. You don't have to worry about setting preload or dialing them in very much. Just set the height and dampening and you're done. Installing them is quite easy on our cars, but the rears are a bit of a PITA.

I am lowered around 1.5 to 2in, I would estimate. My camber is about an extra -.5 to -1deg on all 4 wheels from factory spec. So I am setting at about -1/1.5 in the front and -2 in the rear. Tire wear increase is going to be minimal. Not really worth spending money to correct the natural camber of the drop, unless you don't like the look.