Continental DWS still king?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 09:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Continental DWS still king?

I need some new tires for my summer rims and I'm leaning towards the DWS. I commute 100 miles a day so gas mileage and tread life is huge. Noise isn't that big of an issue. Are the DWS still the way to go or is there something else I should be looking at? I'd like to keep the price around the DWS or lower if possible. I'm looking for 245/40/18's.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 04-14-2014, 10:21 PM
2007 Type S WDP 5AT

Received 171 Likes on 64 Posts
Id also like an answer to this!! I commute just as much and want good tires. 235 35 19 I need
Old 04-14-2014, 11:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I like mine-I'm on my 2nd set.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:32 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Love my DWS' and also on my second set.

However, if you just need a summer tire, there are probably additional options. I'm not really up on summer tires because they are pretty useless up here...
Old 04-15-2014, 12:06 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I like mine-I'm on my 2nd set.

Same. They also wear extremely well. My first set lasted over 40k miles.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
bridgestone potenza re970 all seasons...all season tire with summer qualities...very stiff sidewall compared to dws
Old 04-15-2014, 06:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I like mine.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:10 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
OP, in a nutshell, the answer is NO!

Consumer Reports no longer recommends them because tread wear life is short. Having had 2 sets of these tyiz, I can back up what Consumer Reports is saying, unequivocally.

The top rated tire now is the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3, the tires I now have. Superior to the DWS's in every way.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
I had them on one of my type S's, and I had them on my wife's 2004 Accord. They were good all season tires but I did notice they seemed really mushy as if the sidewall is too soft. Just didn't feel like the car handled great with them. Besides performance though they are good. The other downside to them and it may not be a big deal to some, but they are definitely not the most attractive looking tires. The sidewall looks kind of ugly I think.
I currently have the Michelin pilot sport AS 3's on my type s. Tire looks awesome and wet and dry performance is great!! Snow performance in my experience is terrible and I do notice some tire noise while accelerating which I find kind of odd. During cruise they are quiet. Not sure if I would recommend them or not.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
I'm on my second set and the only complaint I have are flat spots which work themselves out after driving a couple miles.
I have to agree with everyone else, the sidewall is just to soft.

THey're a great tire to drive around in the snow but, living in PA with the amount of snow we get had me purchase a set of snow tires/wheels.

they do last a long time as long as you rotate them.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:24 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by DMZ

Consumer Reports no longer recommends them because tread wear life is short. Having had 2 sets of these tyiz, I can back up what Consumer Reports is saying, unequivocally.

The top rated tire now is the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3, the tires I now have. Superior to the DWS's in every way.
CR is totally out to lunch on this. I emailed them asking them to explain how they ran their tread wear tests and they gave me the big run around. I totally ignore CR when it comes to tire ratings.

My first set of DWS' had 4/32"-5/32" when I switched them out at ~40K miles. I had taken them in because the wear bars were showing and had them measure the tread depth. Even though the tread depth was still at 4/32"-5/32", Continental offered me a "customer satisfaction" discount of 35% on a completely new set of DWS'.

It was a "no brainer", so I took them up on their offer. I was in for an alignment about a month ago and my new set of DWS' measured at 8/32" after 18K miles. Once again, these DWS' are on track to meet the 50K mile warranty.

I highly recommend ignoring CR's report on the DWS'...
Old 04-15-2014, 11:50 AM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
Why not get the DW or bfg comp 2 tires? All cheaper and stickier.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:22 PM
08 TL type-S

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
I believe consumer reports. They are excellent at reviews and have no reason to lie, or be bias like others. Listen to the comment that quoted Consumer Reports.
I like Bridgestone Potenzas if you live in an area where you can run a summer tire, they are a very good choice. The Bridgestone Re760 sport is an excellent summer tire if you can run it, and the price is very reasonable.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by StealthTL-S
I believe consumer reports. They are excellent at reviews and have no reason to lie, or be bias like others. Listen to the comment that quoted Consumer Reports.
I like Bridgestone Potenzas if you live in an area where you can run a summer tire, they are a very good choice. The Bridgestone Re760 sport is an excellent summer tire if you can run it, and the price is very reasonable.
In general Consumer Reports is very good. The most recent review on the DWS was a bit of an anomaly. For warm weather driving however, the only thing better about the DWS compared to the Michelin AS3 is ride quality. The AS3 is a fantastic tire. Very responsive and great grip for an all season tire. The RE760 as mentioned by Stealth is a very good option as well.
The following users liked this post:
StealthTL-S (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 02:58 PM
08 TL type-S

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
Home > Cars > Tires > Ratings > Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport
Tires

< Go to Tires pagePrint
Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport

What's this?
Overall score emphasizes safety-related tests, including braking, handling, and resistance to hydroplaning. Displayed scores are rounded; models are listed in order of precise overall score. Scores and ratings are held to a comparative standard within a tire category.

Loading zoom

Approximate retail price:
$147
Summary: Summer tires set high standards for dry and wet grip, but are not designed for cold, wintry weather. They are suitable for many coupes, sedans, and sports cars. The Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport has no tread wear warranty.

7 people have reviewed this model.
See all 7 user reviews
Write a review

CR overall score What's this?
What's this?
Overall score emphasizes safety-related tests, including braking, handling, and resistance to hydroplaning. Displayed scores are rounded; models are listed in order of precise overall score. Scores and ratings are held to a comparative standard within a tire category.

Overview

Ratings

User Reviews

Specs

Ratings Report CardThe model report card shows the Ratings the model received for each of the tests our experts performed upon it. Learn more Dry braking
Dry braking is from 60 to 0 mph.

Dry braking Dry handling
Dry handling includes how well the tires gripped in an avoidance maneuver involving a swerve into the left lane and back into the right lane; dry cornering grip on our skidpad; and subjective steering feel.

Dry handling Wet braking
Wet braking is from 60 to 0 mph.

Wet braking Wet handling
Wet handling includes wet cornering on our wetted skidpad and subjective handling ratings from our wet-handling circuit.

Wet handling Hydroplaning
Hydroplaning reflects how quickly we could drive through standing water before the tires began to skim on the surface.

Hydroplaning Ride
Ride reflects our on-road judgments.

Ride Noise
Noise reflects our on-road judgments.

Noise Rolling resistance
Rolling resistance, measured on a dynamometer, is a factor in fuel economy.

Rolling resistance Tread life
Tread life is an indicator of wear potential from CR's vehicle road test on the Federal Government's treadwear course.

Tread life See Ratings for all modelsReviews & Recommended - Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport
CR's Take
A very good choice overall, and if a quiet ride is a high priority.
HighsExcellent dry braking, hydroplaning resistance, and low noise.
LowsFair rolling resistance.
The following users liked this post:
yoks032rs (04-17-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 05:10 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by sonny@tirerack
In general Consumer Reports is very good. The most recent review on the DWS was a bit of an anomaly. For warm weather driving however, the only thing better about the DWS compared to the Michelin AS3 is ride quality. The AS3 is a fantastic tire. Very responsive and great grip for an all season tire.
I'd have to say the ride quality is about the same for both. But overall, the AS/3's absolutely cannot be beat!
Old 04-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by StealthTL-S
Originally Posted by sonny@tirerack
In general Consumer Reports is very good. The most recent review on the DWS was a bit of an anomaly. For warm weather driving however, the only thing better about the DWS compared to the Michelin AS3 is ride quality. The AS3 is a fantastic tire. Very responsive and great grip for an all season tire. The RE760 as mentioned by Stealth is a very good option as well.
They're totally out to lunch on this one (and I'm a perennial subscriber to their online magazine). And the fact that they gave me the run around when I asked how they determine treadwear makes me very suspicious of their methods. They admitted that they do not run tires down to 2/32" or even the wear bars. I asked them, "Then, what do you run them down to?" They wouldn't answer.

It's pretty clear that after owning two sets, the 50K warranty is valid, as well as the 550 tread wear rating. Not to mention, there's almost 37 million miles of customer satisfaction in the tirerack.com surveys.

Who are you going to believe? 37 million miles of actual experience or maybe 10K miles of CR usage? It's a no brainer....
Old 04-16-2014, 07:29 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey guys, i had dws on my infiniti g37x. I liked them alot as all season tires. Last year i tried the newer continental purecontact with ecoplus technology. I will say that these were superior in winter snow and ice driving than the dws. I can honestly say that they were the best winter all seasons i have ever used. I know they are a grand touring tire, but they are still "v" rated. They also have 70k warranty life. I would highly recommend them! Unfortunately, they dont have 19 inch, so i cant get them for my tl.....because i would in a heartbeat.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....lus+Technology
Old 04-17-2014, 12:48 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by TLisious
Hey guys, i had dws on my infiniti g37x. I liked them alot as all season tires. Last year i tried the newer continental purecontact with ecoplus technology. I will say that these were superior in winter snow and ice driving than the dws. I can honestly say that they were the best winter all seasons i have ever used. I know they are a grand touring tire, but they are still "v" rated. They also have 70k warranty life. I would highly recommend them! Unfortunately, they dont have 19 inch, so i cant get them for my tl.....because i would in a heartbeat.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....lus+Technology
Hey, thanks for the heads up! I may consider those or even the Pirelli's next time around.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:18 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by flyromeo3
I have to agree with everyone else, the sidewall is just to soft.
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
They were good all season tires but I did notice they seemed really mushy as if the sidewall is too soft.
I agree with this. I love the tires as they perform very well in all conditions and are very quiet on the highway but if you plan on cornering the car on a regular basis, these tires are not for you. I drive my car very gently (when I do drive it) and I notice the sidewalls are very soft.

My DWS's are quieter than my Hankook EVO's were and got me through the winter with no issues!
Old 04-21-2014, 10:33 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by Boogsephine
I agree with this. I love the tires as they perform very well in all conditions and are very quiet on the highway but if you plan on cornering the car on a regular basis, these tires are not for you. I drive my car very gently (when I do drive it) and I notice the sidewalls are very soft.

My DWS's are quieter than my Hankook EVO's were and got me through the winter with no issues!
Agreed! These may no longer be king, but certainly not the court jester.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DMZ

I agree, wear life is way too short. Big surprise when I went to get inspected.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:29 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by ReD-BaRoN
I agree, wear life is way too short. Big surprise when I went to get inspected.
Huh?
Old 04-23-2014, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Huh?
26,700 miles, less than 2.5 years old, need to be replaced. Rotated at every oil change. Non-aggressive driver. Not sure what the hell happened, but I am not happy.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:07 AM
Race Director

26,700 miles, less than 2.5 years old, need to be replaced. Rotated at every oil change. Non-aggressive driver. Not sure what the hell happened, but I am not happy.
"Need to be replaced..." . What the hell does that mean? Some dude at a tire shop just told you that?

Why do they need to be replaced? Do all 4 need to be replaced? What was the predominate tread depth of each tire?

Was there abnormal/uneven wear or even wear?

Post pics.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
I think the warranty is 50K - file a warranty claim
Old 04-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Instructor

So here's the deal, brought it in for inspection, totally shocked when they told me I won't pass due to tires. They showed me and sure enough, the wear bars were level with the tread and steel belts were showing on the rears. I took it down the street to Town Faire Tire where I bought it, and they said it's uneven wear, an alignment issue, and Continental likely won't do anything. They called Conti, and they gave me 20% good faith rebate on two of the tires that were in bad shape - total $56.

Replaced all 4, hope to sell the 2 that have some life left on craigslist.

Totally bummed.

Alignment issue, not a tire issue.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Always been to me. Only got about 16k out of the tire.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:27 AM
Race Director

So here's the deal, brought it in for inspection, totally shocked when they told me I won't pass due to tires. They showed me and sure enough, the wear bars were level with the tread and steel belts were showing on the rears. I took it down the street to Town Faire Tire where I bought it, and they said it's uneven wear, an alignment issue, and Continental likely won't do anything. They called Conti, and they gave me 20% good faith rebate on two of the tires that were in bad shape - total $56.

Replaced all 4, hope to sell the 2 that have some life left on craigslist.

Totally bummed.

Alignment issue, not a tire issue.
Yup, exactly what I suspected. Your rear toe was out of spec....

What was the tread depth on the front tires? I'll bet it was at least 6/32"....