can some1 explain perches on spring/shock setup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question can some1 explain perches on spring/shock setup?

hello,

im looking to get the Neuspeed Supercup kit

and im REALLY confused with this range thing with these springs.

its saying with the sport i have a 1.5-1.75 drop range and then some people are saying if i put it on the lowest perch i could get 2.00" out of it?

now i thought only COILOVERS have different perches?

because im debating now to get the SPORT or RACING springs with this kit. because im thinking of going to the SOFTEST dampening and then get the 2.00+ drop on the car and hopefully that will make the ride relatively soft.

but if i can push a nice drop with the SPORT springs, then i might just do that.

but again i dont understand how this kit has perches or what exactly that means.

HELP plz
Old 04-17-2009, 12:08 PM
J Bill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had the Neuspeed kit with sport springs installed myself. Think of it this way....with the Koni shocks set on the middle perch the the sport springs will give you a 1.75" drop in the front and 1.5" in the rear. If you want to go lower than that you can change the perch to the second lowest perch for an additional quarter inch drop and the lowest perch for an additional 1/2 inch drop such that at the max you are getting 2.25" drop in front and 2" in the rear. I'm waiting for my car to settle and then I'll be taking pictures this weekend to show a before and after on the middle perch.

Something else to consider...if you go for maximum drop and sofest dampening you may end up bottoming out more than you like when you hits bumps. I think most people go firmer the lower they take their car. Good luck in your decision.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Chapter Leader (New England)

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
The Koni/Neuspeed struts have adjustable spring perches. There are five grooves on the shock body to set the perch, giving you 14mm of adjusatability up or down. This is different from coilovers in the sense that coilovers have either 1) A threaded shock body for height adjusment and adjustable collars for spring preload (D2's, Tein SS), or 2) Just threaded spring perches for height adjustment (Tein Basic).

In order to adjust the height on the Koni shocks, you have to disassemble the entire strut assembly.

If you get this setup, I would suggest setting your perches, maybe a notch or two down from the highest setting to see how you like it. If you want to go lower later you can always adjust it.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Intermediate

thank you so much for you advice, that now makes total sense

now.

so say i wanted a 2.5" drop (so the car is sitting JUST over the wheel, very little gap btw tire and fender)

if i get the RACING springs and put it up to the TOP or second highest PERCH with a reasonable dampening so that NOW i am at 2.25 or 2.5" (which i would be getting from the SPORT springs, but on the lowest perch)

wouldnt this be the exact same thing? but now i have the option of going even LOWER because the racing springs can go down to 2.75 and lower?

??

im just trying to see where i would benefit more in a long term standpoint...
Old 04-17-2009, 12:55 PM

It really depends on what kind of ride quality you prefer. The race springs are significantly stiffer than the sport springs. Even with the dampening set on full soft, they are going to have more of a track feel to them. The sport springs have more of an OEM feel to them. At one point I had the sport springs on my Accord, and they were only slightly stiffer than my stock setup.

If it were me, I'd go with the race springs, but I prefer a more aggressive suspension.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Intermediate

are the racing springs PROGRESSIVE springs? (shorter coils on top longer at the bottom?)
Old 04-17-2009, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by silvarTL
are the racing springs PROGRESSIVE springs? (shorter coils on top longer at the bottom?)
Yes.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Only the rear ones are progressively wound but may not have progressive spring rates. I believe only Eibach Prokit claims that their rear springs have progressive spring rates.

All TL front springs I've seen are not progressive.

BTW, if you're sitting too low (IMO 2.5" is too low) you can't get soft ride quality even with soft springs simply because your suspension has very little wheel travel. When you are running soft springs, you'll feel harsh bang and bounciness when the suspension hits the bumpstop.

That's why the more agressive the springs drop, the stiffer they should be, to reduce the bounciness at the end of the suspension travel.

Honestly, if you want to drop your car 2.5", I'd get a set of Tein SS and set the dampers as soft as possible. With SS, you'll have some decent wheel travel left at that drop while with Konis you're at the very end of its travel.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Looking for new mods

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JMillerUA6
The Koni/Neuspeed struts have adjustable spring perches. There are five grooves on the shock body to set the perch, giving you 14mm of adjusatability up or down. This is different from coilovers in the sense that coilovers have either 1) A threaded shock body for height adjusment and adjustable collars for spring preload (D2's, Tein SS), or 2) Just threaded spring perches for height adjustment (Tein Basic).

In order to adjust the height on the Koni shocks, you have to disassemble the entire strut assembly.

If you get this setup, I would suggest setting your perches, maybe a notch or two down from the highest setting to see how you like it. If you want to go lower later you can always adjust it.
I don't thikn you have to disassemble the entire setup... just compress springs and adjus the perch ring.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:31 PM
boost 3G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
would i have that "bottoming out" issue with the sport springs and lowest perch??