Best tires for northeast

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 09:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best tires for northeast

I have looked at general threads on this, but tires depend on road conditions as you all know. So I will ask a specific question. I live in North East. I want to buy tires for my 2007 Acura TL, and I don't want to buy winter tires in the winter, so it has to be all season with a decent winter grip (roads are paved quick in the city I live, so it doesn't have to perform like a snow tire, just a better than average winter traction is OK). Other than that, I prioritize quietness and comfort. Since these models are not as good as the new cars with noise isolation, a tire that helps with noise reduction would help, I thought. And since I am not looking to push the performance limits, ride comfort is more important than the most agile handling for me (although good handling wouldn't hurt). Considering these, is there a specific brand that you would recommend? I'd like to stay under $200 per tire.

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2021, 08:23 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
General GMax AS-05's. Best bang for the buck and one of the 'RECOMMENDED' UHP All Season tyiz in Consumer Reports. I'd gladly buy them again in a heartbeat!
Old 07-29-2021, 09:06 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
there's a new class of tires that recently emerged...they're called like all season winter tires or something like that...classed for snow! even tho they are all seasons!
Continental makes one of the best in this class of tires.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:52 AM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
there's a new class of tires that recently emerged...they're called like all season winter tires or something like that...classed for snow! even tho they are all seasons!
Continental makes one of the best in this class of tires.
I believe they're called All Weather tires. Basically all seasons but they have the snowflake winter rating as well.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 10:10 AM

Shopping tires for my mom, I bought a set of continentals that were well rated.
low and behold it has the snow flake icon on the tire! I was surprised!

Living in Texas, def. Not needed...But then In Feb. we were hit with a "winter storm" with ice and slush and a little bit of snow.
I was like "good thing we got you the snowflake tires!"
Old 07-29-2021, 11:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,192 Likes on 896 Posts
Yeah, grab a set of the all weather category tyres.

I think Michelin has the best blend of wear, grip, noise, and ride. They seem to be the most well rounded (ha! tyre puns!).

Costco usually has $160 off on Michelin on a ~bi-monthly basis.

If you want something less expensive, there's Hankook, Conti, and other options that will probably have tradeoff's/benefits in specific categories.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:54 PM
Cruisin'

Ha! "all weather" yes, I had one of those installed on my wife's Subaru last year. The Nokian WRG4. Very happy with those on the Outback. I wonder if that would be good for the TL too??

The speed rating is V, not W, but I don't know if that really matters, since I won't be speeding more than 80 mph anyways

https://www.discounttirezone.com/Nok...L_p_15481.html
justnspace (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 05:23 PM

well duh, if they are good for the Subbie, they are good for the TL.
plus, you dont plan to go above 80mph so the speed rating wouldnt matter
Old 07-29-2021, 09:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,192 Likes on 896 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
well duh, if they are good for the Subbie, they are good for the TL.
plus, you dont plan to go above 80mph so the speed rating wouldnt matter

Speed ratings do change how the tyre is constructed. So...apples to apples, a V wont feel quite like a W.

Maybe it still doesn't matter. But, yeah, there may be a notable change in how the car behaves.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:30 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Sort by winter rating

Ultra High Performance All seasons: link

Grand touring all seasons: link
Old 07-31-2021, 11:13 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by BROlando
Speed ratings do change how the tyre is constructed. So...apples to apples, a V wont feel quite like a W.

Maybe it still doesn't matter. But, yeah, there may be a notable change in how the car behaves.
So you know if V and W would make a difference other than the top speeds they would be ideal for? I mean I will drive under 80mph, but I’d like to know the differences these two types of tires would have in terms of longevity, comfort, noise, handling etc. Where do you think we can find that info?
Old 07-31-2021, 11:14 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Valens
Sort by winter rating

Ultra High Performance All seasons: link

Grand touring all seasons: link
I don’t know if it’s me, but the links don’t work - they just take me to the main page of tirerack.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:08 PM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by jackreacher
So you know if V and W would make a difference other than the top speeds they would be ideal for? I mean I will drive under 80mph, but I’d like to know the differences these two types of tires would have in terms of longevity, comfort, noise, handling etc. Where do you think we can find that info?
Yes, it is possible there are "differences" in a V vs W tire. Most of it would most likely be ride quality and tread life....but that isn't consistent across all brands and tires. For most people that aren't interested in every single little bit of performance, don't get too wrapped around this. I had H-rated tires on mine for many years. With your statement that you prioritize quietness and comfort, lower speed rated tires will quite likely benefit you. Just make sure the load ratings are fine and go from there.

Go jump onto tirerack.com, enter your TL info, and then look at the Grand Touring A/S and the High Performance A/S options. That is a great place to start. There are lots of tire threads in here that have lots of good recommendations. I had Pirelli P-Zero A/S on my TL and they were just "ok" in the snow, but they met my other three season requirements well related to quiet, comfort, while still having some performance. I had dedicated winter tires to deal with the snowy months. As others have stated, there is a newer generations of tires out there that should do better in the winter.

justnspace (08-01-2021)